7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2008 6:17 AM by Newsgroup_User

    Colorizing Photos in Fireworks

    jethrodesign Level 1
      Hi, we're trying to determine what workflow and applications would work best for us to do initial comps and design of websites. We're considering Fireworks, but few people in the office are familiar with it. So that's a drawback.

      One thing we do a lot in design, that I'm wondering if it's possible in Fireworks, is colorizing grayscale images.

      In InDesign, you can select a an image and apply a color swatch to it, then select the frame and apply a second color swatch to that. You end up very quickly with a nice, easily editable 'faux' duotone effect (or duograph by older standards).

      In Photoshop, you have to create a gradient map, but it ends up doing the same thing in the end.

      - Is there any way to do this easily in Fireworks? I didn't see a gradient map option.

      THANKS!
        • 1. Re: Colorizing Photos in Fireworks
          Level 7
          From the Properties Panel select Filters + > Adjust Color > Hue Saturation.
          Check the Colorize checkbox and play with the Hue and Saturation sliders.

          alex

          It'sNotMyFault wrote:
          > Hi, we're trying to determine what workflow and applications would work best
          > for us to do initial comps and design of websites. We're considering Fireworks,
          > but few people in the office are familiar with it. So that's a drawback.
          >
          > One thing we do a lot in design, that I'm wondering if it's possible in
          > Fireworks, is colorizing grayscale images.
          >
          > In InDesign, you can select a an image and apply a color swatch to it, then
          > select the frame and apply a second color swatch to that. You end up very
          > quickly with a nice, easily editable 'faux' duotone effect (or duograph by
          > older standards).
          >
          > In Photoshop, you have to create a gradient map, but it ends up doing the same
          > thing in the end.
          >
          > - Is there any way to do this easily in Fireworks? I didn't see a gradient map
          > option.
          >
          > THANKS!
          >
          • 2. Re: Colorizing Photos in Fireworks
            Level 7
            On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 02:56:09 +0400, It'sNotMyFault
            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

            > Hi, we're trying to determine what workflow and applications would work
            > best
            > for us to do initial comps and design of websites. We're considering
            > Fireworks,
            > but few people in the office are familiar with it. So that's a drawback.
            >
            > One thing we do a lot in design, that I'm wondering if it's possible in
            > Fireworks, is colorizing grayscale images.
            >
            > In InDesign, you can select a an image and apply a color swatch to it,
            > then
            > select the frame and apply a second color swatch to that. You end up very
            > quickly with a nice, easily editable 'faux' duotone effect (or duograph
            > by
            > older standards).

            Hm, I'm not much familiar with InDesign (frankly, I'm not familiar with it
            at all) so it's not quite obvious to to me what effect you are after.

            If you are after just adding a single tint to a photo, the method
            described by Alex will work (there are some others, but I guess one is
            enough for a beginning).

            If you are after adding several different tints according to source
            brightness, I guess this freeware plugin would be the easiest:

            http://photoshop.msk.ru/aspt/

            assuming you are working under Windows.


            --
            Ilya Razmanov
            http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
            • 3. Re: Colorizing Photos in Fireworks
              jethrodesign Level 1
              OK, thanks.

              Yeah, it looks like I'd have to find some sort of a plugin or add-on to make this possible. The plugin suggested looks like it 'should' do it, but it looks way more convoluted than it needs to be.

              I did a search for a 'gradient map' plugin, but the other one I found was also Windows only. I'm on a Mac, so these won't work. I'm guessing that since Photoshop has a decent gradient map tool built-in, there's probably not much demand to create a 3rd party version.

              Thanks, though.
              • 4. Re: Colorizing Photos in Fireworks
                Level 7
                How about this freebie?

                http://www.cybia.co.uk/vivida.htm

                You can save preset for later use.

                alex

                It'sNotMyFault wrote:
                > Hi, we're trying to determine what workflow and applications would work best
                > for us to do initial comps and design of websites. We're considering Fireworks,
                > but few people in the office are familiar with it. So that's a drawback.
                >
                > One thing we do a lot in design, that I'm wondering if it's possible in
                > Fireworks, is colorizing grayscale images.
                >
                > In InDesign, you can select a an image and apply a color swatch to it, then
                > select the frame and apply a second color swatch to that. You end up very
                > quickly with a nice, easily editable 'faux' duotone effect (or duograph by
                > older standards).
                >
                > In Photoshop, you have to create a gradient map, but it ends up doing the same
                > thing in the end.
                >
                > - Is there any way to do this easily in Fireworks? I didn't see a gradient map
                > option.
                >
                > THANKS!
                >
                • 5. Re: Colorizing Photos in Fireworks
                  jethrodesign Level 1
                  Thanks for the link, but that does not appear to do what I'm after. I appreciate it, though.

                  • 6. Re: Colorizing Photos in Fireworks
                    Level 7
                    Do you have a link to an image that gives an example of what you are after?

                    jethrodesign wrote:


                    > Thanks for the link, but that does not appear to do what I'm after. I appreciate it, though.
                    >
                    >
                    • 7. Re: Colorizing Photos in Fireworks
                      Level 7
                      On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 22:00:14 +0400, jethrodesign
                      <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

                      > OK, thanks.
                      >
                      > Yeah, it looks like I'd have to find some sort of a plugin or add-on to
                      > make
                      > this possible. The plugin suggested looks like it 'should' do it, but it
                      > looks
                      > way more convoluted than it needs to be.
                      >
                      > I did a search for a 'gradient map' plugin, but the other one I found
                      > was also
                      > Windows only. I'm on a Mac, so these won't work. I'm guessing that since
                      > Photoshop has a decent gradient map tool built-in, there's probably not
                      > much
                      > demand to create a 3rd party version.

                      As long as I remember, some version of KPT had appropriate mapping
                      function in their "Gradient designer" (if I remember the name of plugin
                      correctly), and they normally had both Mac and Win versions for their
                      products. Unfortunately, I've seen it in action quite long time ago, so I
                      don't remember the exact version number, nor do I know anything about
                      MacOS version compatibility. You may try doing some searches for KPT (as
                      long as I remember, they were aquired by Corel in the end), maybe this
                      stuff is still available.

                      --
                      Ilya Razmanov
                      http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters