5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2008 5:42 AM by Newsgroup_User

Flex 3 book/tutorial on database access?

manatee87
      I'm looking for a book or online tutorial that covers how to connect to databases, interact with databases, and population on-screen controls via PHP and ASP.NET. I have tried the data wizard in Flex Builder, but it doesn't teach me how to do it. It just generates a ton of code. I want to see step-by-step how to create a connection, retrieve data, bind data to screen controls, send updates back to the database, and things like that.

I use MS Visual Studio with ASP.NET, and the data access is all sort of built in to ASP, with the System.Data namespaces and ADO.NET. I want to see how to achieve the equivalent results from a Flex application and the Flex Builder environment.

Thanks,
      Peter
        • 1. Re: Flex 3 book/tutorial on database access?
          Level 7

"manatee87" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ga35h1$laa$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm looking for a book or online tutorial that covers how to connect to
          > databases, interact with databases, and population on-screen controls via
          > PHP
          > and ASP.NET. I have tried the data wizard in Flex Builder, but it doesn't
          > teach
          > me how to do it. It just generates a ton of code. I want to see
          > step-by-step
          > how to create a connection, retrieve data, bind data to screen controls,
          > send
          > updates back to the database, and things like that.
          >
          > I use MS Visual Studio with ASP.NET, and the data access is all sort of
          > built
          > in to ASP, with the System.Data namespaces and ADO.NET. I want to see how
          > to
          > achieve the equivalent results from a Flex application and the Flex
          > Builder
          > environment.

Flex 3 Training From the Source connects to ColdFusion, but the principles
          on the Flex side are the same.

• 2. Flex 3 book/tutorial on database access?
            manatee87 Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            Flex 3 Training From the Source connects to ColdFusion, but the principles
            on the Flex side are the same.

Thank you for your help. I'll look for it.
            • 3. Re: Flex 3 book/tutorial on database access?
              batmitra Level 1
              hi
              1st- You must have the notion that flex doesn't connect directly to a database

2nd- It depends on how are you going to establish your connection to you server side, because you have several choices (Webservices,HtppServices,Remoting,Etc.)

The fastest connection is the Remoting using things like Lyve Cicle and there are some free frameworks to work with .net like craingorm, WebOrb,Fluorine and others
              • 4. Re: Flex 3 book/tutorial on database access?
                manatee87 Level 1
                Thanks for your reply. Yes, I realize it doesn't connect directly to the database. I'd just like to see some step-by-step examples of simple applications where a Flex app interacts with a database.

Is flex really meant for developing database applications -- with Oracle, SQL Server, or mysql back ends? Or is it intended more for general interactive applications that aren't built around a database?

I'm having a hard time grasping where Flex fits in to the world of software development environments. The language feels a lot like Java and C#, and the development style -- mixing tags and procedural code in the same file -- feels a lot like ASP. I'm used to doing ASP and ASP.NET development where the object model supports interacting with databases. I'm trying to figure out "which piece" Flex is comparable to in comparison with things like ASP.NET, PHP, ColdFusion, and other web development tools. (I realize that with AIR, Flex goes beyond web applications.)

OK, I just found an example of Flex querying data from an Oracle database in the O'Reilly book "Flex 3 Cookbook", where it uses Remoting with a tool like the ones you mention. It looked like a lot of code for a simple task. It seemed like you had to create an object-relational mapping, and procedurally serialize and de-serialize the data -- the sort of thing that you would accomplish with a couple of method calls in the .NET world.

I'll dig further to try to understand the Flex development style, and how it compares with the sort of apps I currently develop. I also need to look around and see what types of apps are typlically being done with Flex.

Thanks again for your help,

Peter
                • 5. Re: Flex 3 book/tutorial on database access?
                  Level 7

"manatee87" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:ga5o1k$pne$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Thanks for your reply. Yes, I realize it doesn't connect directly to the
                  > database. I'd just like to see some step-by-step examples of simple
                  > applications where a Flex app interacts with a database.
                  >
                  > Is flex really meant for developing database applications -- with Oracle,
                  > SQL
                  > Server, or mysql back ends? Or is it intended more for general interactive
                  > applications that aren't built around a database?
                  >
                  > I'm having a hard time grasping where Flex fits in to the world of
                  > software
                  > development environments. The language feels a lot like Java and C#, and
                  > the
                  > development style -- mixing tags and procedural code in the same file --
                  > feels
                  > a lot like ASP. I'm used to doing ASP and ASP.NET development where the
                  > object
                  > model supports interacting with databases. I'm trying to figure out "which
                  > piece" Flex is comparable to in comparison with things like ASP.NET, PHP,
                  > ColdFusion, and other web development tools. (I realize that with AIR,
                  > Flex
                  > goes beyond web applications.)
                  >
                  > OK, I just found an example of Flex querying data from an Oracle database
                  > in
                  > the O'Reilly book "Flex 3 Cookbook", where it uses Remoting with a tool
                  > like
                  > the ones you mention. It looked like a lot of code for a simple task. It
                  > seemed
                  > like you had to create an object-relational mapping, and procedurally
                  > serialize
                  > and de-serialize the data -- the sort of thing that you would accomplish
                  > with a
                  > couple of method calls in the .NET world.

Depending on what service you're using and how you're using it, it can
                  happen automagically in Flex. Look at AMFPHP and J2EE. Also, Flex does
                  really well with e4x formatted input.

HTH;

Amy