1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2008 8:17 AM by UteFanJason

What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?

Ruby7829
      I'm starting a small at-home web design business and although I have my contacts and pricing structure in place I do not know how much to add in for hosting. Two established designers have told me that they charge $240 a year to host sites for their clients. That seems outrageous to me! I was thinking of charging $40 a year since I have an account with Godaddy.com and I know it isn't that expensive.

Suggestions?
        • 1. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
          Level 7

"Ruby7829" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g9rcmq$5pl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm starting a small at-home web design business and although I have my
          > contacts and pricing structure in place I do not know how much to add in
          > for
          > hosting. Two established designers have told me that they charge $240 a
          > year
          > to host sites for their clients. That seems outrageous to me! I was
          > thinking
          > of charging $40 a year since I have an account with Godaddy.com and I know
          > it
          > isn't that expensive.

There's nothing outrageous about $240/year for good quality web hosting.
          With all due respect, your concept of the cost is off because you're using a
          discount hosting service. Just FYI, GoDaddy has about the worst reputation
          of any hosting provider I've heard of in my 12 years in this business. I
          wouldn't consider using them or even working on a client's site which was
          hosting with them, because of the bad position it puts me in if I can't get
          decent support from the host company.

Personally, I stick with solid companies that provide excellent service and
          support. I have a reseller account, and I charge the client exactly what
          the host company charges, and make a small profit for myself because of the
          reseller discont. The client pays a typical hosting fee, and I get excellent
          service and support (from the host) to back me up as I take care of my
          clients' web sites.

--
          Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
          Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
          Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
          --

• 2. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
            Ruby7829 Level 1
            Thanks for the input on Godaddy. Actually two web designers told me to use them! I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes. My business is very small and I only take on one project at a time. Hopefully I don't end up regretting it. Thanks again for the advice.
            • 4. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
              Level 7

> for
              > year
              > thinking
              > it
              > isn't that expensive.

$240 a year is not much at all, but a question: why are you hosting the
              client? I prefer to not host any client because then I have to be their tech
              support for the site, email, spam, etc. I would think that the level of tech
              support you would have to do would cut into your design/development time.
              Too much trouble IMHO... and definitely too much trouble for only $240 per
              year.

• 5. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                Level 7
                I'll echo Patty's sentiments. I wouldn't touch GoDaddy on a bet.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

news:g9rf7s$8fp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Thanks for the input on Godaddy. Actually two web designers told me to
                > use
                > them! I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes. My business is very
                > small and I only take on one project at a time. Hopefully I don't end up
                > regretting it. Thanks again for the advice.
                >

• 6. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                  Level 7
                  Hunter Elliott wrote:
                  > "Ruby7829" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  > news:g9rcmq$5pl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >> I'm starting a small at-home web design business and although I have my
                  >> contacts and pricing structure in place I do not know how much to add in
                  >> for
                  >> hosting. Two established designers have told me that they charge $240 a
                  >> year
                  >> to host sites for their clients. That seems outrageous to me! I was
                  >> thinking
                  >> of charging $40 a year since I have an account with Godaddy.com and I know
                  >> it
                  >> isn't that expensive.
                  >
                  > $240 a year is not much at all, but a question: why are you hosting the
                  > client? I prefer to not host any client because then I have to be their tech
                  > support for the site, email, spam, etc. I would think that the level of tech
                  > support you would have to do would cut into your design/development time.
                  > Too much trouble IMHO... and definitely too much trouble for only $240 per
                  > year.

I am with Hunter on this one, if GoDaddy has technical issues, its you
                  the client blames and expects to fix, even if you have no control, it
                  looks bad on you.

I always recommend hosts to my clients, help them set it up, then they
                  pay the hosting and they own the domain and everything, they take the
                  responsibility for everything. I just do my job and build them a website
                  to their requirements.

Dooza
                  • 7. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                    Level 7
                    I woudn't touch them with Paevo's finger either.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    ==================
                    ==================

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                    news:g9rftr$94n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > I'll echo Patty's sentiments. I wouldn't touch GoDaddy on a bet.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    > Adobe Community Expert
                    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    > ==================
                    > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    > ==================
                    >
                    >
                    > news:g9rf7s$8fp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> Thanks for the input on Godaddy. Actually two web designers told me to
                    >> use
                    >> them! I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes. My business is
                    >> very
                    >> small and I only take on one project at a time. Hopefully I don't end up
                    >> regretting it. Thanks again for the advice.
                    >>
                    >

• 8. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                      Paevo Kelley Level 2
                      "I woudn't touch them with Paevo's finger either."

How about sending Lazarus instead?...
                      • 9. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                        Ruby7829 Level 1
                        But most of the people I'm designing for have VERY small businesses and they only need simple sites. I feel that if I tell them to be in charge of their own hosting they will be confused. As a designer/developer who has a business, isn't it my job to keep it as simple as possible for the client? I also do this from home so it is a small business on my end as well.
                        • 10. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                          Level 7
                          I always do the hosting for my clients when they ask. And $240/year is
                          pretty standard, although HostMySite has basic hosting at half that. I
                          really like them.

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

news:g9ridt$bth$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > But most of the people I'm designing for have VERY small businesses and
                          > they
                          > only need simple sites. I feel that if I tell them to be in charge of
                          > their
                          > own hosting they will be confused. As a designer/developer who has a
                          > business,
                          > isn't it my job to keep it as simple as possible for the client? I also
                          > do
                          > this from home so it is a small business on my end as well.
                          >

• 11. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                            Level 7
                            Ditto that. If a prospective client is hosting with GoDaddy I will only take
                            them on if they agree to use my hosting service (CrystalTech)

--

Walt

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                            news:g9rftr$94n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > I'll echo Patty's sentiments. I wouldn't touch GoDaddy on a bet.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            > Adobe Community Expert
                            > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                            > ==================
                            > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            > ==================
                            >
                            >
                            > news:g9rf7s$8fp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >> Thanks for the input on Godaddy. Actually two web designers told me to
                            >> use
                            >> them! I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes. My business is
                            >> very
                            >> small and I only take on one project at a time. Hopefully I don't end up
                            >> regretting it. Thanks again for the advice.
                            >>
                            >

• 12. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                              Cory C.
                              CrystalTech all the way.

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                              Ditto that. If a prospective client is hosting with GoDaddy I will only take
                              them on if they agree to use my hosting service (CrystalTech)

--

Walt

• 13. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                joeq Level 1
                                agreed - potentially a lot of aggravation for peanuts.

designers should design.
                                hosts should host.

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

> for
                                > year
                                > thinking
                                > it
                                > isn't that expensive.

$240 a year is not much at all, but a question: why are you hosting the
                                client? I prefer to not host any client because then I have to be their tech
                                support for the site, email, spam, etc. I would think that the level of tech
                                support you would have to do would cut into your design/development time.
                                Too much trouble IMHO... and definitely too much trouble for only $240 per
                                year.

• 14. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                  bregent Most Valuable Participant
                                  >agreed - potentially a lot of aggravation for peanuts.
                                  >
                                  >designers should design.
                                  >hosts should host.

Well in the end, it's still a real host that is doing the hosting. The designer is just managing the hosting account. Many clients just want a single point of contact for their website. They don't want to figure out whether or not to call the designer or the host when they have a problem, or to get involved in the details. They just want it fixed.
                                  • 15. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                    Level 7
                                    .oO(Hunter Elliott)

>$240 a year is not much at all

Depends on where you live. Here in Germany it would be quite a lot. For
                                    good and reliable hosting (1G space, 10G traffic, scripts, DB, SSH, logs
                                    etc.) I don't have to pay more than 4 EUR/month (not including domains).

>, but a question: why are you hosting the
                                    >client?

Depends. My scripts for example have some special requirements on the
                                    hosting package in order to run. I at least want to have control over
                                    its configuration (.htaccess).

Additionally with just a handful sites hosted and maintained by myself
                                    it becomes worth to think about an own dedicated server, which would
                                    offer a lot more nice features and possibilities for me and the clients.

>I prefer to not host any client because then I have to be their tech
                                    >support for the site, email, spam, etc.

I don't see a problem if the client accepts the rules. I keep the site
                                    up and running and maintain my own scripts (bugfixes are free). For
                                    anything beyond (adding new features or a real maintenance contract) I
                                    would charge them. If they accept, why not?

Micha
                                    • 16. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                      joeq Level 1
                                      unfortunately the traffic can't bear what that service is worth... so it's bad business for the designer.

quote:

Originally posted by: bregent
                                      >agreed - potentially a lot of aggravation for peanuts.
                                      >
                                      >designers should design.
                                      >hosts should host.

Well in the end, it's still a real host that is doing the hosting. The designer is just managing the hosting account. Many clients just want a single point of contact for their website. They don't want to figure out whether or not to call the designer or the host when they have a problem, or to get involved in the details. They just want it fixed.

• 17. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                        bregent Most Valuable Participant
                                        >unfortunately the traffic can't bear what that service is worth...

Not sure what you are saying exactly.

>so it's bad business for the designer.

Well, if it can be avoided then I suggested avoiding it. Even if you are experienced with hosting it's not worth the headaches for that kind of $$. But some client require it so that means turning down the whole job.
                                        • 18. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                          joeq Level 1
                                          sorry - i guess i forgot that, around hear, the word "traffic" has multiple meanings.

i think i'm saying the same thing you are... that it's a lot of headaches for not much money. i would charge a fortune to put up with the potential aggravation and take ownership of circumstances out of my control... more than "the traffic would bear" for hosting services.

quote:

Originally posted by: bregent
                                          >unfortunately the traffic can't bear what that service is worth...

Not sure what you are saying exactly.

>so it's bad business for the designer.

Well, if it can be avoided then I suggested avoiding it. Even if you are experienced with hosting it's not worth the headaches for that kind of $$. But some client require it so that means turning down the whole job.

• 19. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                            Level 7

"Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
                                            news:g9rfqk$92a$1@forums.macromedia.com...

> ... a question: why are you hosting the client? I prefer to not host any
                                            > client because then I have to be their tech support for the site, email,
                                            > spam, etc.

I have the hosting under my account not for the (small) profit, but because
                                            when I need to contact the host about something technical involving the
                                            site, it's a lot smoother. When the hosting account is in the client's name,
                                            my hosts (neither company) won't talk to me about the client's site until I
                                            can verify that I have the client's authorization - which is what they
                                            should do.

My contract states what I'm responsible for and what I'm not, and I'm not
                                            responsible for technical support for their email. Everything else is
                                            directly related to the web site, and I want to be responsible for the web
                                            site.

Domain names - entirely different, since it involves legal ownership of
                                            something valuable. I *never* put a client's domain in my name.

--
                                            --

• 20. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                              Level 7

"bregent" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                              news:g9rt71$niu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                              > >agreed - potentially a lot of aggravation for peanuts.
                                              > >
                                              > >designers should design.
                                              > >hosts should host.
                                              >
                                              > Well in the end, it's still a real host that is doing the hosting. The
                                              > designer is just managing the hosting account. Many clients just want a
                                              > single
                                              > point of contact for their website. They don't want to figure out whether
                                              > or
                                              > not to call the designer or the host when they have a problem, or to get
                                              > involved in the details. They just want it fixed.

Exactly.

--
                                              --

• 21. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                Level 7

"joeq" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                news:g9s6mo$436$1@forums.macromedia.com...

>... it's a lot of headaches for
                                                > not much money. i would charge a fortune to put up with the potential
                                                > aggravation and take ownership of circumstances out of my control...

There's no need to take total responsibility for the hosting - that's the
                                                host's responsibility. I'm still just the web developer. My contract states
                                                what I'm responsible for and what I'm not.

Actually, in 12 years of doing this, I've never been burdened by problems
                                                with hosting that shouldn't have been my problem or were a hassle.

Again, I don't do it for the small profit, but for the convenience of being
                                                the name on the hosting account, since I'm always the one who needs to talk
                                                to the host when there's a problem, never the client.

--
                                                --

• 22. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                  Level 7

"Paevo Kelley" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                  news:g9riah$bll$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                  > "I woudn't touch them with Paevo's finger either."
                                                  >
                                                  > How about sending Lazarus instead?...

Why - don't *you* want to visit hell? :-D

--
                                                  --

• 23. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                    Level 7
                                                    I completely agree....

--
                                                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                                    ==================
                                                    ==================

"P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote in message
                                                    news:g9s9so$7fa$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                    >
                                                    > "Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
                                                    > news:g9rfqk$92a$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                    >
                                                    >> ... a question: why are you hosting the client? I prefer to not host any
                                                    >> client because then I have to be their tech support for the site, email,
                                                    >> spam, etc.
                                                    >
                                                    > I have the hosting under my account not for the (small) profit, but
                                                    > because when I need to contact the host about something technical
                                                    > involving the site, it's a lot smoother. When the hosting account is in
                                                    > the client's name, my hosts (neither company) won't talk to me about the
                                                    > client's site until I can verify that I have the client's authorization -
                                                    > which is what they should do.
                                                    >
                                                    > My contract states what I'm responsible for and what I'm not, and I'm not
                                                    > responsible for technical support for their email. Everything else is
                                                    > directly related to the web site, and I want to be responsible for the web
                                                    > site.
                                                    >
                                                    > Domain names - entirely different, since it involves legal ownership of
                                                    > something valuable. I *never* put a client's domain in my name.
                                                    >
                                                    >
                                                    > --
                                                    > Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                                                    > Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                                                    > Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                                                    > --
                                                    >
                                                    >

• 24. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                      Ruby7829 Level 1
                                                      I'm glad you feel the same way about hosting. I do not mind being the point contact for the hosting because I want to be there for my client. That said, I didn't know that you shouldn't put their domain name under your own. Since I have the hosting account I'm assuming I'll be able to put my new clients domain under her name, right? I basically already bought the domain name for her through my hosting provider. Should I change this?
                                                      • 25. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                        Level 7

> I basically already bought the domain name for her
                                                        > through my hosting provider. Should I change this?

The domain name should be registered in the name and business address of the
                                                        client. You should be listed as a "technical" contact. See what choices your
                                                        Registrar offers to make the change. Many of them, you can edit this and
                                                        keep it in the same management account.

On the hosting- the hosting doesn't care whose name the domain is is- the
                                                        two things that do matter are that the correct DNS domain name servers are
                                                        assigned to the domain name at the Registrar, and that the domain name is
                                                        set up on the hosting's DNS. If you use a reseller hosting account with WHM
                                                        web host manager, the latter is taken care of when you create a new hosting
                                                        account and fill in that domain name to be assigned to that hosting space.

--
                                                        Alan
                                                        Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 26. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                          Paevo Kelley Level 2
                                                          "Why - don't *you* want to visit hell? :-D"

I was referring to Luke 16:24...
                                                          • 27. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                            Level 7

"Paevo Kelley" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                            news:g9ubli$es8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                            > "Why - don't *you* want to visit hell? :-D"
                                                            >
                                                            > I was referring to Luke 16:24...

Um.. I know.. that's why I made that reference.

--
                                                            --

• 28. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                              UteFanJason Level 2
                                                              P@tty Ayers ~ACE wrote:
                                                              >My contract states what I'm responsible for and what I'm not, and I'm not
                                                              >responsible for technical support for their email. Everything else is
                                                              >directly related to the web site, and I want to be responsible for the web
                                                              >site.

How do you go about not being responsible for their email support if you are hosting (managing the account anyway)? What do you tell them to do for support?
                                                              • 29. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                                Level 7

"UteFanJason" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                                news:ga7rni$dhi$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                > P@tty Ayers ~ACE wrote:
                                                                > >My contract states what I'm responsible for and what I'm not, and I'm not
                                                                > >responsible for technical support for their email. Everything else is
                                                                > >directly related to the web site, and I want to be responsible for the
                                                                > >web
                                                                > >site.
                                                                >
                                                                > How do you go about not being responsible for their email support if you
                                                                > are
                                                                > hosting (managing the account anyway)? What do you tell them to do for
                                                                > support?

I ask them to contact the host directly, which works well for everybody.

For example, I have had clients who set up 20-30 email addresses and are
                                                                constantly having to set up new PCs. This just isn't my line of work.

--
                                                                --

• 30. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                                  UteFanJason Level 2
                                                                  >I ask them to contact the host directly, which works well for everybody.

What about account info?

>For example, I have had clients who set up 20-30 email addresses and are
                                                                  >constantly having to set up new PCs. This just isn't my line of work.

It was this kind of stuff that made me think that hosting would be a bad idea except when it comes to editing sites. That is when I really like the idea of hosting for them. But, I haven't dealt with 20-30 email accounts yet though either. That would be a pain.

So in your contracts do you just have a part saying that if they want tech support for email then they need to contact the host?

Thanks for the replies.
                                                                  • 31. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                                    Level 7

news:gacb0v$od$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                    > >I ask them to contact the host directly, which works well for everybody.
                                                                    >
                                                                    > What about account info?

Not sure what you mean?

> >For example, I have had clients who set up 20-30 email addresses and are
                                                                    > >constantly having to set up new PCs. This just isn't my line of work.
                                                                    >
                                                                    > It was this kind of stuff that made me think that hosting would be a bad
                                                                    > idea
                                                                    > except when it comes to editing sites. That is when I really like the idea
                                                                    > of
                                                                    > hosting for them. But, I haven't dealt with 20-30 email accounts yet
                                                                    > though
                                                                    > either. That would be a pain.
                                                                    >
                                                                    > So in your contracts do you just have a part saying that if they want tech
                                                                    > support for email then they need to contact the host?

Yes, exactly. My clients prefer getting the tech support for free, and I
                                                                    prefer not having to deal with it!

--
                                                                    --

• 32. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                                      UteFanJason Level 2
                                                                      >> >I ask them to contact the host directly, which works well for everybody.
                                                                      >>
                                                                      >> What about account info?
                                                                      >
                                                                      >Not sure what you mean?

When your clients need tech support don't they need to provide account info (i.e. passwords, account names/numbers)?

The other thing about telling them who you're hosting through is, doesn't that ever make them want to bypass you as a host once they see they can get it a little cheaper? How do you prevent that?
                                                                      • 33. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                                        Level 7
                                                                        I never charge more than the host would charge.

--
                                                                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                        Adobe Community Expert
                                                                        ==================
                                                                        ==================

news:gaemqa$lfv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                        >>> >I ask them to contact the host directly, which works well for
                                                                        >>> >everybody.
                                                                        > >>
                                                                        > >> What about account info?
                                                                        > >
                                                                        > >Not sure what you mean?
                                                                        >
                                                                        > When your clients need tech support don't they need to provide account
                                                                        > info
                                                                        > (i.e. passwords, account names/numbers)?
                                                                        >
                                                                        > The other thing about telling them who you're hosting through is, doesn't
                                                                        > that
                                                                        > ever make them want to bypass you as a host once they see they can get it
                                                                        > a
                                                                        > little cheaper? How do you prevent that?
                                                                        >

• 34. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                                          UteFanJason Level 2
                                                                          >I never charge more than the host would charge.

I guess that is a good point. I just figured that you could add a little to it since you would be taking care of the technical stuff to a hosting account. Believe me I've met some people that would be happy to pay much more than I think anyone would charge just because they didn't want to deal with it.
                                                                          • 35. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                                            Level 7
                                                                            Ask your host about reseller accounts. You'll see....

--
                                                                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                            Adobe Community Expert
                                                                            ==================
                                                                            ==================

news:gaesq2$rir$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                            > >I never charge more than the host would charge.
                                                                            >
                                                                            > I guess that is a good point. I just figured that you could add a little
                                                                            > to it
                                                                            > since you would be taking care of the technical stuff to a hosting
                                                                            > account.
                                                                            > Believe me I've met some people that would be happy to pay much more than
                                                                            > I
                                                                            > think anyone would charge just because they didn't want to deal with it.
                                                                            >

• 36. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                                              UteFanJason Level 2
                                                                              >Ask your host about reseller accounts. You'll see....
                                                                              >
                                                                              >--
                                                                              >Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                              >Adobe Community Expert

Ok. So what is the truth behind a dedicated and a virtual dedicated server for most hosts that offer those (or smiliar)? I guess I'm really asking what is preffered by people who do that.
                                                                              • 37. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                                                Level 7
                                                                                > Ok. So what is the truth behind a dedicated and a virtual dedicated server
                                                                                > for
                                                                                > most hosts that offer those (or smiliar)?

There's usually a huge difference in price. The dedicated server runs
                                                                                (usually) hundreds of dollars a month. The VPS runs about $50/month or
                                                                                less. The difference is -

a) A VPS is shared, but you are within a 'virtual' private space, and a
                                                                                dedicated is not shared
                                                                                b) Many (most) of the maintenance tasks are handled by the host on a VPS,
                                                                                but not on a dedicated - it's all up to you (although you can pay to have
                                                                                them add this)

I have a VPS, and like using it quite a bit. I re-host SOME sites on it.

I have had a dedicated - it was scary.... 8)

But you can just have a reseller account with the host without going either
                                                                                of those ways, you know?

--
                                                                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                                Adobe Community Expert
                                                                                ==================
                                                                                ==================

news:gaghf5$lns$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                                > >Ask your host about reseller accounts. You'll see....
                                                                                > >
                                                                                > >--
                                                                                > >Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                                                > >Adobe Community Expert
                                                                                >
                                                                                > Ok. So what is the truth behind a dedicated and a virtual dedicated server
                                                                                > for
                                                                                > most hosts that offer those (or smiliar)? I guess I'm really asking what
                                                                                > is
                                                                                > preffered by people who do that.
                                                                                >

• 38. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                                                  Level 7

news:gaemqa$lfv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                                  >>> >I ask them to contact the host directly, which works well for
                                                                                  >>> >everybody.
                                                                                  > >>
                                                                                  > >> What about account info?
                                                                                  > >
                                                                                  > >Not sure what you mean?
                                                                                  >
                                                                                  > When your clients need tech support don't they need to provide account
                                                                                  > info
                                                                                  > (i.e. passwords, account names/numbers)?

Yes, so I provide it for them, and/or add them to the account as another
                                                                                  technical contact.

> The other thing about telling them who you're hosting through is, doesn't
                                                                                  > that
                                                                                  > ever make them want to bypass you as a host once they see they can get it
                                                                                  > a
                                                                                  > little cheaper? How do you prevent that?

I charge them exactly what the host would charge them. I'm not handling the
                                                                                  hosting to make money, but to make it easier for myself to manage their web
                                                                                  site.

--
                                                                                  --

• 39. Re: What do you charge your clients for hosting each month?
                                                                                    UteFanJason Level 2
                                                                                    >But you can just have a reseller account with the host without going either
                                                                                    >of those ways, you know?

Actually, I don't know of any hosts that offer reseller accounts. I think I heard of Godaddy offering it but I have heard strong opinions to stay away from them. I am currently with bluehost and the account I have allows me to host unlimited sites but they don't call it a reseller account. So I am not sure if that would allow me to use it as such.
                                                                                    1 2 Previous Next