5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2008 5:12 AM by Newsgroup_User

CSS resetting

johngordon12 Level 1
      Just stumbled across this in another thread, and hadn't heard of it before - sounds almost like some sort of Holy Grail...

Have looked at Eric Meyer's pages about it - is the idea simply that you add in a reset style sheet to each page which basically puts everything on a level playing field in each browser?

And then any styling subsequent to that overwrites those defaults? ie even something like a <body> tag would be defined twice - firstly to rest, and secondly to style as you would on your site?
        • 1. Re: CSS resetting
          Level 7
          .oO(Iain71)

>Just stumbled across this in another thread, and hadn't heard of it before -
          >sounds almost like some sort of Holy Grail...
          >
          > Have looked at Eric Meyer's pages about it - is the idea simply that you add
          >in a reset style sheet to each page which basically puts everything on a level
          >playing field in each browser?

Yep. That's a possible way, even though I don't do it on my sites. In
          many cases the defaults work quite well, and the rest is defined or
          overwritten by me anyway.

> And then any styling subsequent to that overwrites those defaults? ie even
          >something like a <body> tag would be defined twice - firstly to rest, and
          >secondly to style as you would on your site?

You can have as many rules as you want for a particular element. That's
          part of the cascading mechanism.

But you should think about if "resetting" all and everything is really
          necessary. What do you expect from it?

Micha
          • 2. Re: CSS resetting
            johngordon12 Level 1
            That's what I'm really trying to get clear in my head I guess.

I had in my head the idea that different browsers simply interpreted different rules in different ways, period.

But reading this suggested that they do so only relative to their default way of doing things.

So I guess I'm unclear as to what this idea of resetting actually achieves - if I create a rule without resetting, shouldn't that overwrite whatever the browser's default is anyway?

I guess I saw it as a way of eliminating many browser discrepancies, for example margin issues in IE, and that this might be a (largely) catch all method that might be more efficient / practical than using multiple fixes / workarounds.

• 3. Re: CSS resetting
              Level 7
              > Yep. That's a possible way, even though I don't do it on my sites. In
              > many cases the defaults work quite well, and the rest is defined or
              > overwritten by me anyway.

I'm with you, Micha. The reset gets in my way more often than not.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              ==================

"Michael Fesser" <netizen@gmx.de> wrote in message
              news:h6rhc4ldpv9jhvv23ai52s9pi3vm6ijc92@4ax.com...
              > .oO(Iain71)
              >
              >>Just stumbled across this in another thread, and hadn't heard of it
              >>before -
              >>sounds almost like some sort of Holy Grail...
              >>
              >> Have looked at Eric Meyer's pages about it - is the idea simply that you
              >> add
              >>in a reset style sheet to each page which basically puts everything on a
              >>level
              >>playing field in each browser?
              >
              > Yep. That's a possible way, even though I don't do it on my sites. In
              > many cases the defaults work quite well, and the rest is defined or
              > overwritten by me anyway.
              >
              >> And then any styling subsequent to that overwrites those defaults? ie
              >> even
              >>something like a <body> tag would be defined twice - firstly to rest, and
              >>secondly to style as you would on your site?
              >
              > You can have as many rules as you want for a particular element. That's
              > part of the cascading mechanism.
              >
              > But you should think about if "resetting" all and everything is really
              > necessary. What do you expect from it?
              >
              > Micha

• 4. Re: CSS resetting
                Level 7
                > But reading this suggested that they do so only relative to their default
                > way
                > of doing things.

This is a fact, and it has given rise to the misconception expressed in your
                preceding paragraph.

> different browsers simply interpreted different
                > rules in different ways, period.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

"Iain71" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gaat8m$6k1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > That's what I'm really trying to get clear in my head I guess.
                >
                > I had in my head the idea that different browsers simply interpreted
                > different
                >
                > But reading this suggested that they do so only relative to their default
                > way
                > of doing things.
                >
                > So I guess I'm unclear as to what this idea of resetting actually
                > achieves -
                > if I create a rule without resetting, shouldn't that overwrite whatever
                > the
                > browser's default is anyway?
                >
                > I guess I saw it as a way of eliminating many browser discrepancies, for
                > example margin issues in IE, and that this might be a (largely) catch all
                > method that might be more efficient / practical than using multiple fixes
                > /
                > workarounds.
                >
                >
                >

• 5. Re: CSS resetting
                  Level 7
                  Iain71 wrote:
                  > That's what I'm really trying to get clear in my head I guess.
                  >
                  > I had in my head the idea that different browsers simply interpreted different
                  >
                  > But reading this suggested that they do so only relative to their default way
                  > of doing things.
                  >
                  > So I guess I'm unclear as to what this idea of resetting actually achieves -
                  > if I create a rule without resetting, shouldn't that overwrite whatever the
                  > browser's default is anyway?
                  >
                  > I guess I saw it as a way of eliminating many browser discrepancies, for
                  > example margin issues in IE, and that this might be a (largely) catch all
                  > method that might be more efficient / practical than using multiple fixes /
                  > workarounds.

The reset tries to get everything that could be different on all
                  browsers to be the same. So if you just used the reset style sheet, when
                  you looked at your page on all browsers, it will look the same. Its only
                  useful when you don't change these in your own stylesheet, as you
                  rightly said, once you have set them, its over written what you have
                  already done.

You might find that creating your own reset is better, but it will be
                  more like a default style sheet than a reset, as its just the base from
                  what you work from.

Dooza