3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2008 11:02 AM by johnmccallum

HTML Help window placement problem

RoboHobo Level 1
      Hi -

We just upgraded to R7 from X5. It seems that now, for our newly generated Help, the HTML Help viewer will not right-align. Even if I specify the maximum width in the Window Properties dialog, when generated, the window only extends about 4/5 of the available screen width and is LEFT aligned.

Our screens are 1024 x 768 and RoboHelp seems to understand this because if I max out the window size in the Window Properties dialog, the height shown = 767 and width = 1019.

Is anyone else experiencing this placement problem?

TIA
        • 1. Re: HTML Help window placement problem
          RoboHobo Level 1
          Followup : one error in my premise: the screen I am developing on is actually 1280x800 (my bad). However, RoboHelp assumes you are designing for 1024 x 768 and keeps you within those boundaries when entering window placement coordinates on the Window Properties dialog.

I also found that while WebHelp Pro projects allow you to specify window position coordinates as percentages (if you are using the CSH API, at least), the HTML Help window properties dialog only accepts hard coordinates (i.e. pixels). Too bad.

Unless someone knows differently, for HTML Help, apparently you can't get the HTML Help viewer to appear right-aligned for all screen/display configurations.
          • 2. Re: HTML Help window placement problem
            Pete Lees Level 2
            Hi, Jack,

> ... the HTML Help window properties dialog only accepts hard coordinates (i.e. pixels).
            > ...
            > Unless someone knows differently, for HTML Help, apparently you can't get the HTML
            > Help viewer to appear right-aligned for all screen/display configurations

Yes, this is correct on both counts. Because of limitations in Microsoft's design of HTML Help, you cannot specify the dimensions of the help window in anything other than pixels, and you can only set the initial position of the window relative to the left and top edges of the screen.

On the other hand, if you are calling the help file programmatically from an application, there may be some scope for controlling the position of the help window by using standard Windows functions. This article provides a small amount of extra information:

http://helpware.net/FAR/far_faq.htm#control

Pete
            1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: HTML Help window placement problem
              Level 2
              Jack,

There is a setting for .chm files, that RoboHelp did not allow the user to set, which allows the window size and position to be remembered from the last use. When this is set the users hh.dat file will store the position, so that your end user may have to move the window the first time they call help but then it will always reappear in the same place.

I use an old version of RoboHelp, so they may have this now. But I still use HelpWorkshop to compile and it allows me to set this. My users really like this because some use very low resolution screens so my setting an absolute pixel size doesn't work.

John
              1 person found this helpful