7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2008 10:58 AM by Newsgroup_User

diplomatic comments .....

Level 7
      Hi

Been asked by a potential client to comment on their exisitng website as
      they "dont like it"

http://shop.lielow.co.uk/index.php?p=home

Have to say I dont like the colours I find the menus to difficult to read
      and I have the dreaded horizontal scroll bar even on my 22" screen. Also the
      checkout is handled by google.

Anyone else suggest some diplomatic comments.

cheers

Ian

• 1. Re: diplomatic comments .....
          Level 7
          On 09 Sep 2008 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Ian Edwards wrote:

> Been asked by a potential client to comment on their exisitng
          > website as they "dont like it"
          >
          > http://shop.lielow.co.uk/index.php?p=home
          >
          > Have to say I dont like the colours I find the menus to difficult to
          > read and I have the dreaded horizontal scroll bar even on my 22"
          > screen. Also the checkout is handled by google.
          >
          > Anyone else suggest some diplomatic comments.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW!

Oh - diplomatic. <ahem />

- The product pictures alternate between very nice, professional
          looking shots and something that looks like someone pulled out their
          cellphone to shoot. At a bare minimum, they should be consistent, and
          professional-looking is probably better.
          - Speaking of cheesy: the women's sandal picture - a 260K .gif for a
          slideshow?
          - Valid code: sorely lacking. From a developer's point of view, valid
          code is easier (and therefore cheaper) to update.
          - Valid CSS: also lacking.
          - Accessibility: also lacking. And if a site is built for
          accessibility, it's also odds-on to be easier for non-assistive-device
          using visitors to use, too. Plus it's probably also valid, and see
          above comment about valid code being easier (and cheaper) to maintain.
          Not to mention that accessibility is the right thing to do. And the
          fact that there are government agencies which can enforce it.
          http://www.w3.org/WAI/
          http://www.w3.org/WAI/Policy/#EU
          http://www.w3.org/WAI/Policy/#UK
          - The design is fluid, but the header image doesn't center and the
          background color of the header doesn't match the image. So (anent your
          horizontal scrollbar comment), when you do get the browser window wide
          enough to avoid the horizontal scrollbar, you have this ugly beige
          patch next to the right side of the ugly green header and above the
          ugly green menu bar. [erm - looking at the code, that's nominally a
          yellow. Perhaps: "... ugly green^W^Wnice yellow3 ..."]
          - Speaking of the header image - IMHO, way too tall; it takes up a lot
          of screen real estate that could be used for selling. Similar to the
          (dead-tree edition) newspaper concept of 'above the fold' - that which
          is important should be visible when you open the site.

--
          Joe Makowiec
          http://makowiec.net/
          Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
          • 2. Re: diplomatic comments .....
            Level 7

"Ian Edwards" <i.edwards@nospamedwards-micros.co.uk> wrote in message
            news:ga5m50$nl8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi
            >
            > Been asked by a potential client to comment on their exisitng website as
            > they "dont like it"
            >
            >
            > Have to say I dont like the colours I find the menus to difficult to read
            > and I have the dreaded horizontal scroll bar even on my 22" screen. Also
            > the checkout is handled by google.
            >

ack.

well, the "logo" has the wrong ALT text for it; and the image is in the
            wrong format - it should be GIF of PNG as that JPG artifacting is making it
            look fuzzy and dirty - and viewing it on my 22" monitor, the logo color cuts
            out and regular bg color comes in - it should fill the width of the screen.
            The contrast between the bg color and the text for the menu "heads", etc
            (the quasi-avacado green bg and lighter version for text) is not strong
            enough - it's difficult to read the text. The "subscribe" and "search"
            buttons are in a different color scheme than the rest of the page. The page
            was not designed for fluid widths (although I'm not getting a horizontal
            scroll) - the "welcome to lielow" line is not below the image but
            flush-bottom to the image when I have my browser maximized. The Tree Menu on
            the left is javascript-based... that's not necessarily a bad thing, but if I
            disable js, the menu does not work (instead of "failing" to be fully
            expanded when js is not present). I'm not going past the main page for the
            moment as that should be enough to work on at the moment :)

• 3. Re: diplomatic comments .....
              Level 7
              HI

Thanks one and all, you have reinforced and added to my views. I'll tell the
              potential client.

It appears that the author has declined to modify the site and feels it's
              perfect, but of course that could be sour grapes.

Either way I forsee the next problem as will I be asked to restart or repair
              the exisitng site. Think I'll go for the former and start from scratch

Thanks

Ian
              "Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
              news:ga5ug8$3rj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >
              > "Ian Edwards" <i.edwards@nospamedwards-micros.co.uk> wrote in message
              > news:ga5m50$nl8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> Hi
              >>
              >> Been asked by a potential client to comment on their exisitng website as
              >> they "dont like it"
              >>
              >> http://shop.lielow.co.uk/index.php?p=home
              >>
              >> Have to say I dont like the colours I find the menus to difficult to read
              >> and I have the dreaded horizontal scroll bar even on my 22" screen. Also
              >> the checkout is handled by google.
              >>
              >> Anyone else suggest some diplomatic comments.
              >
              > ack.
              >
              > well, the "logo" has the wrong ALT text for it; and the image is in the
              > wrong format - it should be GIF of PNG as that JPG artifacting is making
              > it look fuzzy and dirty - and viewing it on my 22" monitor, the logo color
              > cuts out and regular bg color comes in - it should fill the width of the
              > screen. The contrast between the bg color and the text for the menu
              > "heads", etc (the quasi-avacado green bg and lighter version for text) is
              > not strong enough - it's difficult to read the text. The "subscribe" and
              > "search" buttons are in a different color scheme than the rest of the
              > page. The page was not designed for fluid widths (although I'm not getting
              > a horizontal scroll) - the "welcome to lielow" line is not below the image
              > but flush-bottom to the image when I have my browser maximized. The Tree
              > Menu on the left is javascript-based... that's not necessarily a bad
              > thing, but if I disable js, the menu does not work (instead of "failing"
              > to be fully expanded when js is not present). I'm not going past the main
              > page for the moment as that should be enough to work on at the moment :)
              >

• 4. Re: diplomatic comments .....
                Level 7
                Ian Edwards posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> Hi
                >
                > Been asked by a potential client to comment on their exisitng
                > website as they "dont like it"
                >

Just in case you haven't contacted them, yet, here are a few more items
                you might mention. (Viewed in FF2 for Windows.)

- Pop-up windows to zoom product photos are not large enough to see
                photo and "Close Window" link. They also seem to be trying to load into
                infinity, even though the image is there.
                - Contact us should use a form. The spambots are likely getting those
                mailto: addresses.
                - <title> could use something better than "Site Title:" + page title.
                - Unless there is some benefit or contract requirement, I see no need
                for the links to the developer and host sites.

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                • 5. Re: diplomatic comments .....
                  Level 7

I'd say:

It appears that the site was built prior to having a full understanding of
                  your specific business needs and the needs of the potential customers who
                  will be utilizing your site.

Based on that, I suggest we start with a walk through of the business plan,
                  followed by some information architecture planning along with wireframing.

At that point, we can bring in some better graphic design and UI design and
                  tie it all together with an appropriate back end system.

-Darrel

• 6. Re: diplomatic comments .....
                    Level 7
                    Hi

Thanks Darrel, that sums it up and is not too much of a slap in the face!

cheers

Ian

"darrel" <notreal@notreal.com> wrote in message
                    news:ga6arn$imn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >
                    > I'd say:
                    >
                    > It appears that the site was built prior to having a full understanding of
                    > your specific business needs and the needs of the potential customers who
                    > will be utilizing your site.
                    >
                    > Based on that, I suggest we start with a walk through of the business
                    > plan, followed by some information architecture planning along with
                    > wireframing.
                    >
                    > At that point, we can bring in some better graphic design and UI design
                    > and tie it all together with an appropriate back end system.
                    >
                    > -Darrel

• 7. Re: diplomatic comments .....
                      Level 7
                      darrel posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

>
                      > I'd say:
                      >
                      > It appears that the site was built prior to having a full
                      > understanding of your specific business needs and the needs of the
                      > potential customers who will be utilizing your site.
                      >
                      > Based on that, I suggest we start with a walk through of the
                      > business plan, followed by some information architecture planning
                      > along with wireframing.
                      >
                      > At that point, we can bring in some better graphic design and UI
                      > design and tie it all together with an appropriate back end
                      > system.

See, now that's why I sit over here by the computer - away from the
                      phone. Some day I may learn to be tactful enough to sit by the phone ;)

--
                      Mark A. Boyd
                      Keep-On-Learnin' :)