7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2009 8:10 AM by Newsgroup_User

Sample client to Google App Engine service

facorreia
      I published a sample application that I created to learn how to build a RIA front-end to manage a database stored on Google App Engine.

The Flex side uses the PureMVC framework and the App Engine side has a Python service that uses the PyAMF library.

The source code is available and there is more information in this article:

http://fernandoacorreia.wordpress.com/2008/08/23/example-of-ria-in-the-cloud/

I hope this sample can help other people that are interested in the App Engine or in Python services. Feedback is welcome.
        • 2. Re: Sample client to Google App Engine service
          facorreia Level 1
          Stefan, thanks for your support and for the tip about the cookbook.
          • 3. Re: Sample client to Google App Engine service
            justria Level 1
            I thank you for your post!

BTW: I just won a Flex 3 Cookbook, since I posted some entries to the site :-) Unfortunately, this O'Reilly campaign has just finished.
            • 4. Re: Sample client to Google App Engine service
              javaalex
              If somebody can enlighten me - i am missing the point.
              If the Flex is the client and Google App Engine is the back end, how can I upload the initial SWF file to the browser?
              It is done typically via JavaScript, but the app engine is Python, is there any support for JavaScript? If I make Python class, how would I stream SWF to browser?
              There is something that everybody uses, the swfobject, but it is javascript object.
              The autogenerated HTML template from Flex Builder does not work either.
              I checked a lot's of sample code and they all have bootstrapped those files from somewhere else (not App Engine), or just had a client code locally.

Thanks
              Alex
              • 5. Re: Sample client to Google App Engine service
                Level 7

"javaalex" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:goujgk$rqt$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > If somebody can enlighten me - i am missing the point.
                > If the Flex is the client and Google App Engine is the back end, how can I
                > upload the initial SWF file to the browser?

You would put it on your web server in the same directory as the html page.
                Talk to your web hosting company about the best way to ftp your files.

> It is done typically via JavaScript, but the app engine is Python, is
                > there
                > any support for JavaScript? If I make Python class, how would I stream SWF
                > to
                > browser?

I don't even understand those questions. Could you rephrase?

> There is something that everybody uses, the swfobject, but it is
                > javascript
                > object.

It's just an alternative method of getting the swf into the page.

> The autogenerated HTML template from Flex Builder does not work either.
                > I checked a lot's of sample code and they all have bootstrapped those
                > files
                > from somewhere else (not App Engine), or just had a client code locally.

Every single example at flexdiary.blogspot.com uses the autogenerated html.

• 6. Re: Sample client to Google App Engine service
                  javaalex Level 1
                  sorry, I was not clear. Suppose for this discussion that I don't have any ISP and I want to put everything to google app engine and start it as <myapp>.appspot.com.

It works quite nice with HTML/Ajax, like this one: shell.appspot.com. But what about flex?

by the way,I am using Firefox on Ubuntu.
                  • 7. Re: Sample client to Google App Engine service
                    Level 7

"javaalex" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:gp0m4i$hoi$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > sorry, I was not clear. Suppose for this discussion that I don't have any
                    > ISP
                    > and I want to put everything to google app engine and start it as
                    > <myapp>.appspot.com.
                    >
                    > It works quite nice with HTML/Ajax, like this one: shell.appspot.com. But
                    > what
                    > about flex?
                    >
                    > by the way,I am using Firefox on Ubuntu.
                    >

Maybe google has a forum devoted to the specifics of their system.