4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2009 4:48 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

after effects cs4 crashes on import

silverhandphoto Level 1

ok, what am I doing wrong?!? I created a 3d object in photoshop and when import it into ae it crashes, spinning pinwheel...no crash reporter or anything! Just an unresponsive ae with the spinning pingwheel...

anyone run into this? is there a way around it?

• 1. Re: after effects cs4 crashes on import
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Are you using OpenGL in AE?  Have you tried disabling OpenGL?

What is the resolution of the objects within your 3D document?  If they are extremely high AE can choke on them.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: after effects cs4 crashes on import
            silverhandphoto Level 1

lol...I just took my image down from a 95 mb file to a 25 mb file and ae seems to be handling it better! Thanks for confirming what I just did!

Also, can you explain the open gl statement a bit more? Is it buggy or does ae hang on it?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: after effects cs4 crashes on import
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No, OpenGL isn't buggy from AE's side of things, but it is dependent on drivers provided by third party vendors.  Drivers can be buggy, outdated or poorly written.

OpenGL is not a huge deal in AE and users often overestimate its importance.  Turning it off is often the first step in resolving display issues, but in your case file size certainly sounds like the problem.

• 4. Re: after effects cs4 crashes on import
                Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Before anything, are you sure it doesn't come back? Because some rendering modes and options in Live Photoshop 3D can take a lot of time to update (when you're within Photoshop, you get a rough OpenGL based preview and then you have to wait for the proper render. Since AE uses a headless version of the PS 3D engine to render, you only get the final render. And this can take time). It could not be the case for you, but it's worth checking it. Give it some time, and see if the app updates after that. Some 3D rendering options are expensive in terms of time, in any renderer.

Adolfo Rozenfeld - Adobe