18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 8:26 AM by the_wine_snob

no disc menu templates

unc417

I'm new to video editing and have just installed premiere elements 7, and I have no menu templates in the disc menu section.  Should they be there? Where can I get them?  Thanks

• 1. Re: no disc menu templates
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you put the installation disk back into your computer, you'll see the option, on the installation launch screen, to install additional content.

Those are your menus.

• 2. Re: no disc menu templates
            A.T. Romano Level 7

I would suggested that you see if the DVD Templates exist in the Premiere Elements 7 program files.

Path: Program Files/Adobe/Premiere Elements 7/DVD Templates

If you do not find them there, they did not install.

You could try reinstalling them from the installation disc, but I have seen recent reports where people have purchased these program (typically used from popular wholesale web sites) and have been missing the DVD Templates and in one case Text Animations. If that is the case, go back to the seller and request a replacement.

ATR

• 3. Re: no disc menu templates
              unc417 Level 1

I tried to reinstall it to see if the installation didnt take but the only option I was given was to uninstall so I figured from that, that the installation went correctly.  Later I tried it anyway, uninstalling then installing again. that seems to have worked.  Thanks

• 4. Re: no disc menu templates
                the_wine_snob Level 9

That's great news. With most Adobe installations, there is a Repair Install option. Maybe that has been eliminated for PE?

Usually with installations from DVD, one has an option to either install, or not install, Functional Content, with install being the default. If installing from a download file(s), there are usually two separate (though similarly named) files, that must be extracted and then installed. I think that Adobe could possibly do a better job with instructions on their download site, as so many get only the program install file, and not the Functional Content install file. I've never bought via download, so do not know what the site looks like, however with so many having the same problem, I'd guess that it must not be clear, what they need to do.

Still, you're up and running, and that's the important thing,

Hunt

• 5. Re: no disc menu templates
                  unc417 Level 1

OK, got a new problem now.  When I go to burn a dvd it says no burners detected?

• 6. Re: no disc menu templates

It's possible that another program on your computer (Nero, for instance) isn't allowing Premiere Elements access to your DVD drive.

If that's the case, select the option to burn to a folder on your hard drive instead. Then you can use Nero to burn the VIDEO-TS folder Premiere Elements creates to a disc.

• 7. Re: no disc menu templates
                      unc417 Level 1

I don't have nero. All I have for burning is cdburnerxp.  Any other reason it isn't recognizing?

• 8. Re: no disc menu templates

It could be an outdated driver for the drive.

It could be an improperly set up program or operating system.

Or it could be, as it's most likely, that cdburnerxp is keeping Premiere Elements from accessing your drive.

• 9. Re: no disc menu templates
                          unc417 Level 1

I'v uninstalled cdburnerxp with no change, haven't rebooted yet.  When I go to burn a disc I can choose between burning to dvd or to folder4.7gb, if I burn to folder and then use something like cdburnerxp to copy the folder contents to disc, will features like the disc menu still be there?

• 10. Re: no disc menu templates
                            unc417 Level 1

I took your suggestion to burn to folder, but it seems to be stuck.  It encodes very quickly, when it switches to "burn to folder" it just sits there. No CPU or HD usage, at least 10 minutes now it's not moved. Is this normal?

• 11. Re: no disc menu templates
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The time to Burn to Folder will depend on both your Project, and your system, especially the I/O aspect of it (HDD's, controller(s), etc.)

Questions about not finding your burner(s):

Do you have Quicken and use the Save to CD function?

Is your burner shown in Control Panel>System>Device Manager?

Does it show any errors?*

Have you updated the firmware on that burner?

These could all be important answers.

Good luck,

Hunt

* you might remove the burner in Device Manager, then reboot, let Windows find it, then install the proper driver for it.

• 12. Re: no disc menu templates
                                unc417 Level 1

I do not have quicken.

The burner shows up in device manager, I've used it with cdburnerxp to burn cd's without problem.

The drivers listed on dell support site have not been updates since I bought the computer.

At least 20 mins now on the burn to folder, it still hasnt started.

• 13. Re: no disc menu templates

If you can't burn to folder, you may have a more serious problem.

It could be related to your source files. Is there a red line along the top of your timeline? This is an indicator that your files will need to be rendered before they can be burned to a DVD. Try pressing the Enter key. The program will render the files and the red lines will turn green.

If that doesn't work and you still can't burn to a folder on your hard drive, it could be something more challenging.

• 14. Re: no disc menu templates
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I have been pondering these issues. I suspect that you have not gotten all the feedback from the user yet

I came across this AdobeTech Note that I would like you to review as a possible way to go (very carefully...there is even a video how to included)

RE: Refreshing Drivers

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402306&sliceId=1

Even though uninstalling the cdburnerxp application did not resolve the issue, I am wondering if it left behind some after effects, necessitating refreshing the CD & DVD drivers.

Off the deep edge or a suggestion to take a look at??

ATR

• 15. Re: no disc menu templates
                                      unc417 Level 1

I have made the red line green, however I'm still stuck at burning to folder.

AT, the problem with the DVD drive is premiere will not recognize the drive, windows and everything else recognizes and uses it fine.  If the problem is with the drive, I do not see how that would prevent me from burning to folder.

thanks

• 16. Re: no disc menu templates
                                        unc417 Level 1

OK, it seems to be working now. I just had to uninstall and reinstall about 3 times. I've successfully burned my test clip to folder and dvd one time.  I don't even have to make the red line green, btw what does that represent?

thanks everyone

• 17. Re: no disc menu templates
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Regarding Rendering the Timeline....

The red line running across the Timeline indicates that the Timeline content requires Rendering, whereas green = OK.

You Render the Timeline in the Edit Mode (Orange Tab highlighted). This type of Rendering is done by pressing the Enter Key of the computer Main Keyboard. When the process is complete, the red line will turn green.

You do this type of Rendering to get the best possible preview of what your end product will look like. It does not impact the final quality. In other words, the end product will end up with the same quality with or without this Rendering, but you are just getting a window of opportunity to get an idea what the final product will look like. The process can be very time consuming, but worthwhile if after Rendering the Timeline you see problems which need correcting.

This Rendering process generates preview files (scratch files) that build up on the computer hard, typically in the default location My Documents/Adobe Folder/. If this is a problem, you could go into Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Discs and direct them to an external hard drive through the browse function there.

RE: Quality..often it is the play back of the finished product that is the ultimate test of quality.

ATR

• 18. Re: no disc menu templates
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Rendering is particularly useful if one has involved Effects added to Clips, and also for Transitions, as you can then see in smooth, real time, what the Effects and Transitions look like. Every change to one of these Clips, or to the Transition will turn the line red again.

You can also Render just part of your Timeline, by using the WAB (Work Area Bar). It's a little grey bar at the top of the Timeline, with a "bracket" at each end, and a little "knurled" block in the middle. Depending on the level of zoom, you may not even know that it's there, but if you hit the "\" key, you'll zoom out to see the whole Timeline, and can easily see the brackets. Just move each end, so that it over the desired section that you wish to Render, and hit the Enter key. This will only Render the section below the WAB. Obviously, if you have a lot of red lines, or it's all red, you'll only get the green under the WAB. Then, you can move the CTI (Current Time Indicator) to the start of the WAB, and Preview what you have just Rendered.

Good luck,

Hunt