3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2009 7:11 AM by BigJohnD

Fonts Spacing Wrong

My old 98 system went out and I upgraded to XP. (I know!) Installed PM 7.01 and all the correct monitor drivers. The printer is and HP LJ5000. HP had updated the driver for XP so I thought it would work. PM runs fine, even on all my old files, but I am noticing that the spacing appears wrong on the screen if I look close and prints the same.

I will be switching to Indesign but I am worried it may be the printer that is causing the problem. Any thoughts. Apologies in advanced if this has already been covered. I searched before posting.

Still love pagemaker and would like to continue to use it.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Fonts Spacing Wrong
          BigJohnD Level 3

> > PM runs fine, even on all my old files, but I am noticing that the spacing appears wrong on the screen if I look close and prints the same.

Check your "compose to printer"

If there is a question mark against the printer's name, it can't be found and you need to relink to a valid one

docsetup.gif.

Iechyd da! John
          20:03 31/03/2009 BST

• 2. Re: Fonts Spacing Wrong
            Level 1

Thanks. I checked and all printers appear fine. Since this is a display and print problem, I wonder if I should use a different driver. I was using the HP5000 pcl6 driver. Would a postscript driver make a difference. The hp5000 does have ps access.

Thanks again for all suggestions.

• 3. Re: Fonts Spacing Wrong
              BigJohnD Level 3

So are you using the same "Compose to printer" as you actually print to?

If you are, and the spacing seems different from before but the same on screen and printed page, then that is likely to be the updated/new/alternative driver.

The PS printer is probably preferable, but if the "Compose to printer" is different from the printer actually used, all sorts of recomposing will take place at printing time, and the output is very likely to be different from that displayed on the screen.

See this article in the PM Support KB:

The Compose To Printer Setting in PageMaker for Windows

The other alternative is to create a PDF and print that.

Iechyd da! John
              15:05 08/04/2009 07/04/2009 BST