19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2011 6:39 PM by LoganSix

No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4

I have a large number of HD AVI files which were created by capturing from camcorder via Firewire into Premiere Pro CS3 (1440x1080, bit depth 1440, 25 fps, HDV). I have copied them to another machine - this one running CS4, and when I import them, they appear as audio file assets, not video files, and will only play audio either in the Source window or off the timeline.

If I double-click the files from Windows Explorer, they play perfectly in Windows Media Player, so they would not appear to have errors resulting from the copy from one machine to the other.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

• 1. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Something is wrong here. Normal capture of HDV material in CS3 via firewire would not result in AVI files. What have you done? Be specific and detailed. And please refrain from inaccuracies like a bit depth of 1440, which is utterly impossible.

• 2. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

>a bit depth of 1440

Unfortunately that is a bug in CS3. The OP is reporting what CS3 shows, the width next to bit depth.

Cheers
            Eddie

PremiereProPedia   (RSS feed)
            - Over 350 frequently answered questions
            - Over 300 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            Forum FAQ
            • 3. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
              Level 1

Eddie is correct, the value of 1440 for pixel depth may well be ludicrous, but that is what is reported by CS3 when you inpect the properties of the asset.

The assets were captured directly into CS3 from a Sony HDV-FX1E a couple of years ago, using a Firewire connection to the PC. The only values on the Capture screen of CS3 that were changed from the default were the Clip Data field, completing description information, and by checking the "Scene Detect" check box.

The only way that the AVI files got onto the hard drive was from this process - straight from the tape, via capture. They originally appeared as

"Untitled Clip 01.AVI" to "Untitled Clip nn.AVI" in the Project panel and I subsequently renamed them in CS3 for ease of use.

By inspecting the files on the hard drive via Windows Explorer, the files are described as "Video Clip" and retain their original file names e.g. "Untitled Clip 01" etc. as one would expect.

• 4. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                Harm Millaard Level 7

AVI files are the result of capturing SD material, not HDV. Scene detection is only available with SD material, not HDV. Use Gspot to find the properties of your files, because if looks like you captured DV material and use it in a HDV project.

• 5. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                  Steadibum

I had this happen as soon as i installed CS4 on another workstation, and couldnt figure out what was going on.   Turned out i inputed the Product code incorrectly and missed the warning.  Installer then did not install all of the codecs....when i realized later (restarted premier and the serial thing popped up) what i had done, i inputed it correctly, and then after a restart, premiere activated the rest of the codecs and i was in business. Could it be alng these lines?

• 6. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

I agree with Harm; use GSPOT to get the bottom of this mystery.

Perhaps the original machine had a 3rd party intermediate installed that captured to AVI; like cineform?

• 7. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                      ecliptic1101

Okay, I'm having a similar issue like Packetstream's post.

I'm not too big of a techie so I'll try my best to relay all pertinent information. I appreciate anyone's help in advance.

I captured HD video using a Vado HD pocket cam (see specs here: http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=60&subcategory=832&product=18108&nav= 1).

What happens when I import them to Prem Pro CS4.

When playing back the file, either in the preview window or project window, all I get is audio. Video is completely blacked out.

While in Prem Pro CS4 -- I right click the file from the "bin" window > properties, I get this information:

File Path: D:\Eric's Data Folders\Videos\Vado\VID00043.AVI
                      Type: AVI Movie
                      File Size: 56.6 MB
                      Image Size: 1280 x 720
                      Pixel Depth: 32
                      Frame Rate: 30.00
                      Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - compressed - Mono
                      Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
                      Total Duration: 00:01:49:12
                      Average Data Rate: 530 KB / second
                      Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

IN COMPARISON - I can open this into Windows Movie Maker and edit just fine there.

GSPOT v2.70a - tells me that I have the proper codecs installed:

Audio codec: 0x0002 (ADPCM)

Video codec: H264, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

I'm not sure where I go from here and I'm not sure what other information you need to help me narrow down the issue. But I would really appreciate anyone's help.  Much thanks to the experts.

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

• 8. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                        ecliptic1101 Level 1

I'm having the same issue - have you resolved it yet?

----- my message to this thread ---

Okay, I'm having a similar issue like Packetstream's post.

I'm not too big of a techie so I'll try my best to relay all pertinent information. I appreciate anyone's help in advance.

I captured HD video using a Vado HD pocket cam (see specs here: http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=60&subcategory=832&product=18108&nav= 1).

What happens when I import them to Prem Pro CS4.

When playing back the file, either in the preview window or project window, all I get is audio. Video is completely blacked out.

While in Prem Pro CS4 -- I right click the file from the "bin" window > properties, I get this information:

File Path: D:\Eric's Data Folders\Videos\Vado\VID00043.AVI
                        Type: AVI Movie
                        File Size: 56.6 MB
                        Image Size: 1280 x 720
                        Pixel Depth: 32
                        Frame Rate: 30.00
                        Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - compressed - Mono
                        Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
                        Total Duration: 00:01:49:12
                        Average Data Rate: 530 KB / second
                        Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

IN COMPARISON - I can open this into Windows Movie Maker and edit just fine there.

GSPOT v2.70a - tells me that I have the proper codecs installed:

Audio codec: 0x0002 (ADPCM)

Video codec: H264, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

I'm not sure where I go from here and I'm not sure what other information you need to help me narrow down the issue. But I would really appreciate anyone's help.  Much thanks to the experts.

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

• 9. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The problem is most likely PrPro not working with the H.264 CODEC well. An NLE (Non Linear Editor) needs to do much more with footage and a CODEC, than does a player.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

As you noticed PR is not really suited to edit material from that Vado camera. The Vado is an absolute consumer camera which delivers consumer grade material. Better use the software that was supplied with that camera or a consumer NLE, like WMM. The alternative is to convert it first to material suitable for editing in PR.

• 11. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                              Steadibum Level 1

I would like to know what your sequence settings are? i just recently did a video that incorporated about 20 different codecs and it worked fine. (no, it wasnt the deadly family video turned documentary)

Also, since ive updated to esata external drives at 7200rpm and 3.0 Gb/s transfer rate, i have had fewer issues with video and or audio cutting out on me.

I dont think this relates to you as your bitrate is reletively normal.

i do agree to try to use a third party software (mpeg streamclip by squared5 works well) to transcode it into an avi file, or mpeg2 and try using that to export.

• 12. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                                ecliptic1101 Level 1

Thank you all for your help. I had three replies from my last post and I appreciate everyone's input. It looks like your response has confirmed that it's not me or my pc, but it's my Prem Pro CS4.

I have resorted to converting the HDV AVI to a form which PP CS4 will read and export. Sad that I can't get the true video quality that I recorded it, but not a whole lot is lost.

I hope Adobe gets it fixed soon.

Thanks again for your comparison and elaborating your experience in dealing with this.

Cheers to everyone and I love this online community sharing stuff!

• 13. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                                  anteero

This is a big problem for me too. I used Cineform codec in Premiere 1.5. Cineform's name was once in Adobe's web site.

I hope that I have all materials still on tapes.

• 14. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                                    njellis2000

I know is post is old, however for anyone else needing information:

I have never had problems with my VadoHD w/ CS4 (32-bit) on Windows 7 (64bit), until suddenly everything fell apart and I had similar trouble to what most people describe trying to use Vado w/ Premiere.

I tried numerous solutions, and spent 2 days working on it. I know above it's claimed that it will not work, but it WAS working for me for over a year, so I knew it was possible.

The solution for me was to install k-lite mega codec pack, obtainable from download.com

Here is the current direct link: http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Mega-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10794603.html

I hope this helps. This DID NOT enable the video to work on CS5, as I'm sure it has to do with CS5 being 64bit and the codecs being 32bit.

• 15. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I wish you luck with the K-Lite CODEC pack. If Search has been fixed in the forum, you might want to look into "K-Lite," and read some horror stories.

One of the biggest problems is that it normally installs the FFDShow module, that has been death for many Adobe machines. It is also a tough sucka' to completely remove.

Next, there are many tired, useless and plainly poorly written CODEC's in the pack, plus the pack has a tendency to overwrite good, commercial CODEC's with hacked, or reverse-engineered versions. That is one reason why Adobe hides its MainConcept CODEC's, by using a special naming convention.

Good luck, and I hope that this will fix the issues, and not cause harm in any way.

Hunt

• 16. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

The solution for me was to install k-lite mega codec pack, obtainable from download.com

Congratulations! You just hopelessly made a mess of your computer.

After you're done reinstalling Windows and Premiere, I suggest you try this instead: Re: Avi files play correctly in Windows Media, open as Audio Only in Premiere and AME

• 17. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                                          njellis2000 Level 1

I'm terribly sorry to disappoint but - I haven't yet had to reinstall Windows, or anything else. I did, while trying to get Pr to work properly again, come short of that by uninstalling and reinstalling everything for the last month.

I would certainly recommend caution when dealing with Codecs, and try myself to be very careful in doing such. I'm sorry after 2 days, I tried a more extreme option and that it solved my problem (without causing other issues).

This should obviously not be the first thing people try. Other ansawers I've found on other forums here and elseware of "Too bad, Adobe doesn't work with Vado's h264 impimentation because it's not avchd" or "Use WMM to render into a different format (and waste a lot of time, lose some quality)". The other option of m4box produced errors and did not work for me.

So instead of "just dealing with it, and using some cosumer editing software", I provided an account of what worked for me, in order to give others an option, in my case a last resort - to get what WAS working to work again.

Now I am able to directly import and edit my Vado video. Sorry you had to reinstall everything =P  -- Better luck next time.

• 18. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I strongly second Bill and Colin's advice to not install the K-Lite codec pack. Some of the codecs that it installs displace other (better) codecs and prevent various pieces of software from working correctly afterward. You may have succeeded in accomplishing your near-term goal, and you may not have yet encountered any problems, but you now run a great risk of various formats not working correctly. Some of the problems are subtle, and some are not. Good luck.

• 19. Re: No Video Importing AVI into Premiere Pro CS4
                                              LoganSix Level 1

I found a solution that only had the needed codec on a  Video Help thread doing a Google Search.

I am able to import the videos now, I'm not sure if the audio is working correctly on the import, but it does play when I do a RAM Preview.  I'm extremely new to Premeire, so I don't know if that is normal.