9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2008 6:31 PM by Newsgroup_User

TEMPLATE PROBLEM

Michael_Helm Level 1
      Background images disappear when I create a "New from Template" page from a template!!!

1. I've created a template from an existing page.
      2. To create a new page from the template, I go to "Assets" then to "Templates", and when I've located the template I want to create a page from, I right click on it and then click on "New from Template".
      3. The newly created page is missing my header background image and my footer background image. (note: Both can be seen when editing the template itself)
      4. Strangely, I can see that the background images should be there according to the code; however, in the CSS panel, it shows no background image applied for either the header or the footer -basically, the code and the CSS panel are contradicting each other.

Can someone kindly explain to me, in simple terms, what may be happening? And a solution, if possible, to the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
      Michael
        • 1. Re: TEMPLATE PROBLEM
          Level 7
          U R L

give a url address to a page with this problem.

It's a path problem, so the paths in the CODE need to be seen and sorted
          out.

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. TEMPLATE PROBLEM
            Michael_Helm Level 1
            Alan~

You Rock! Thanks for responding so quickly!

All I've got is the code right now and not a url; I hope that'll be enough to give you an idea of what's going on with the path. I myself noticed a discrepancy in the image paths, but I thought that might be normal when it comes to Dreamweaver templates; however, I'm a sophomore when it comes to web design, so what do I know! Naturally, I tried to change the path in the code to what I thought it should be, but of course I was rejected because it's a "New from Template" page and won't allow changes to be made to it.

Anyway, thanks again!
            • 3. Re: TEMPLATE PROBLEM
              Level 7
              > background-image: url(file:///Macintosh
              > HD/Users/michaelhelm/Sites/graceunconditional08/images/mainHeader.jpg);

BINGO!
              Your path points to your harddrive. That usually indicates you did not
              properly define your site in DW. Pull down DW's Help menu and select Getting
              Started With Dreamweaver.
              --

Walt

"Michael Helm" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:g96qmm$e75$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Alan~
              >
              > You Rock! Thanks for responding so quickly!
              >
              > All I've got is the code right now and not a url; I hope that'll be enough
              > to
              > give you an idea of what's going on with the path. I myself noticed a
              > discrepancy in the image paths, but I thought that might be normal when it
              > comes to Dreamweaver templates; however, I'm a sophomore when it comes to
              > web
              > design, so what do I know! Naturally, I tried to change the path in the
              > code to
              > what I thought it should be, but of course I was rejected because it's a
              > "New
              > from Template" page and won't allow changes to be made to it.
              >
              > Anyway, thanks again!
              >
              > <style type="text/css">
              > <!--
              > body {
              > background: #666666;
              > margin: 0; /* it's good practice to zero the margin and padding of the
              > body
              > element to account for differing browser defaults */
              > padding: 0;
              > text-align: center; /* this centers the container in IE 5* browsers. The
              > text
              > is then set to the left aligned default in the #container selector */
              > color: #666666;
              > background-color: #FFFFFF;
              > font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
              > font-size: 14px;
              > }
              > .thrColFixHdr #container {
              > width: 800px; /* using 20px less than a full 800px width allows for
              > browser
              > chrome and avoids a horizontal scroll bar */
              > background: #FFFFFF;
              > margin: 0 auto;
              > text-align: left; /* this overrides the text-align: center on the body
              > element. */
              > background-repeat: no-repeat;
              > }
              > .thrColFixHdr #header {
              > HD/Users/michaelhelm/Sites/graceunconditional08/images/mainHeader.jpg);
              > background-repeat: no-repeat;
              > height: 220px;
              > }
              > .thrColFixHdr #header h1 {
              > margin: 0; /* zeroing the margin of the last element in the #header div
              > will
              > avoid margin collapse - an unexplainable space between divs. If the div
              > has a
              > border around it, this is not necessary as that also avoids the margin
              > collapse
              > */
              > padding: 10px 0; /* using padding instead of margin will allow you to
              > keep
              > the element away from the edges of the div */
              > font-size: None;
              > }
              > .thrColFixHdr #sidebar1 {
              > float: left; /* since this element is floated, a width must be given */
              > width: 150px; /* the background color will be displayed for the length of
              > the
              > content in the column, but no further */
              > padding: 10px 10px 10px 15px;
              > border-top: thick none #CDE4EE;
              > border-right: thick solid #CDE4EE;
              > border-bottom: thick solid #CDE4EE;
              > border-left: thick solid #CDE4EE;
              > }
              > .thrColFixHdr #sidebar2 {
              > float: right; /* since this element is floated, a width must be given */
              > width: 160px; /* the background color will be displayed for the length of
              > the
              > content in the column, but no further */
              > padding: 10px;
              > border-top: thick none #CDE4EE;
              > border-right: thick solid #CDE4EE;
              > border-bottom: thick solid #CDE4EE;
              > border-left: thick solid #CDE4EE;
              > }
              > .thrColFixHdr #mainContent {
              > margin: 0 200px; /* the right and left margins on this div element
              > creates
              > the two outer columns on the sides of the page. No matter how much content
              > the
              > sidebar divs contain, the column space will remain. You can remove this
              > margin
              > if you want the #mainContent div's text to fill the sidebar spaces when
              > the
              > content in each sidebar ends. */
              > padding: 0 10px;
              > border: thin solid #77A2C2;
              > }
              > .thrColFixHdr #footer {
              > padding: 0 10px 0 20px;
              > HD/Users/michaelhelm/Sites/graceunconditional08/images/mainFooter.jpg);
              > height: 60px;
              > }
              > .thrColFixHdr #footer p {
              > margin: 0; /* zeroing the margins of the first element in the footer will
              > avoid the possibility of margin collapse - a space between divs */
              > padding: 10px 0; /* padding on this element will create space, just as
              > the
              > the margin would have, without the margin collapse issue */
              > }
              > .fltrt { /* this class can be used to float an element right in your page.
              > The
              > floated element must precede the element it should be next to on the page.
              > */
              > float: right;
              > margin-left: 8px;
              > }
              > .fltlft { /* this class can be used to float an element left in your page
              > */
              > float: left;
              > margin-right: 8px;
              > }
              > .clearfloat { /* this class should be placed on a div or break element and
              > should be the final element before the close of a container that should
              > fully
              > contain a float */
              > clear:both;
              > height:0;
              > font-size: 1px;
              > line-height: 0px;
              > }
              > h1 {
              > font-size: 24px;
              > color: #74A2BC;
              > }
              > h2 {
              > font-size: 20px;
              > }
              > h3 {
              > font-size: 16px;
              > }
              >

• 4. Re: TEMPLATE PROBLEM
                Michael_Helm Level 1
                Walt~

1. My site was defined correctly to begin with.

2. Any "newbies", or anyone else for that matter, who happen to read this post hoping to find an answer to a similar problem they themselves are having, "Pull down DW's Help menu and select Getting Started With Dreamweaver", as Walt suggested, does not help to solve the particular problem stated in my original post, let alone explain how to define a site.

And, Walt, I'm hoping you genuinely wanted to help me and I just happened to misinterpret the tone of your response as being condescending.

~Michael
                • 5. Re: TEMPLATE PROBLEM
                  Level 7
                  Michael Helm wrote:
                  > Walt~
                  >
                  > 1. My site was defined correctly to begin with.

This cannot be true with this in your code:

>> > background-image: url(file:///Macintosh
                  >> > HD/Users/michaelhelm/Sites/graceunconditional08/images/mainHeader.jpg);

>
                  > 2. Any "newbies", or anyone else for that matter, who happen to read this post
                  > hoping to find an answer to a similar problem they themselves are having, "Pull
                  > down DW's Help menu and select Getting Started With Dreamweaver", as Walt
                  > suggested, does not help to solve the particular problem stated in my original
                  > post, let alone explain how to define a site.
                  >
                  > And, Walt, I'm hoping you genuinely wanted to help me and I just happened to
                  > misinterpret the tone of your response as being condescending.
                  >
                  > ~Michael
                  >
                  Why so touchy?

--
                  Bonnie
                  • 6. Re: TEMPLATE PROBLEM
                    Michael_Helm Level 1
                    Bonnie~

Surely, both You and Walt must be right; I don't know what I was thinking.

And it is quite "touchy" of me to think that Walt, or even you, have it in you to be condescending.

What can I say other than "I have the ability to be both stupid and sensitive".

Here's the truth: I came to this forum to get help. I felt patronized and condescended to by Walt and now You. If you nor Walt, or anyone else for that matter, can't offer sound advice or workable solutions, don't fill the void with passive aggressive remarks! I've read I don't know how many responses to people's genuine questions from self-proclaimed experts on various forums that reek of condescension and I'm so tired of it! I never wanted to wrongly accuse Walt of anything; I JUST WANTED GENUINE HELP!!!

Why don't you read Walt's response to my original post again and this time follow the advice he gave and see if it is truly a workable solution to my problem.

As I'm sure you know, there are people who come to this forum to get a solution to a problem that is preventing them from doing their JOB (=income). When someone can't finish a job ON TIME or AT ALL they usually don't get paid; and that can be frightening.

Thank, GOD, someone on this forum has gone out of their way to truly help me. This individual is a PROFESSIONAL in the truest sense of the word! GOD BLESS HIM!!!
                    • 7. Re: TEMPLATE PROBLEM
                      Level 7
                      Michael Helm wrote:

Whatever...the fact that your hard drive is listed as the source of the
                      image is symptomatic of a problem with your site definition: after all,
                      how will the remote server be able to find that file?

I have done this myself accidentally and sometimes had trouble tracking
                      down the cause (I *thought* I had defined the site correctly) and have
                      even given up and used find and replace to correct the paths.

Bottom line, your path to the image has to look like this:

/Sites/graceunconditional08/images/mainHeader.jpg

or

../Sites/graceunconditional08/images/mainHeader.jpg

but will not work if it looks like this:

background-image: url(file:///Macintosh
                      HD/Users/michaelhelm/Sites/graceunconditional08/images/mainHeader.jpg)

> Bonnie~
                      >
                      > Surely, both You and Walt must be right; I don't know what I was thinking.
                      >
                      > And it is quite "touchy" of me to think that Walt, or even you, have it in you
                      > to be condescending.
                      >
                      > What can I say other than "I have the ability to be both stupid and sensitive".
                      >
                      > Here's the truth: I came to this forum to get help. I felt patronized and
                      > condescended to by Walt and now You. If you nor Walt, or anyone else for that
                      > matter, can't offer sound advice or workable solutions, don't fill the void
                      > with passive aggressive remarks! I've read I don't know how many responses to
                      > people's genuine questions from self-proclaimed experts on various forums that
                      > reek of condescension and I'm so tired of it! I never wanted to wrongly accuse
                      > Walt of anything; I JUST WANTED GENUINE HELP!!!
                      >
                      > Why don't you read Walt's response to my original post again and this time
                      > follow the advice he gave and see if it is truly a workable solution to my
                      > problem.
                      >
                      > As I'm sure you know, there are people who come to this forum to get a
                      > solution to a problem that is preventing them from doing their JOB (=income).
                      > When someone can't finish a job ON TIME or AT ALL they usually don't get paid;
                      > and that can be frightening.
                      >
                      > Thank, GOD, someone on this forum has gone out of their way to truly help me.
                      > This individual is a PROFESSIONAL in the truest sense of the word! GOD BLESS
                      > HIM!!!
                      >
                      • 8. Re: TEMPLATE PROBLEM
                        Michael_Helm Level 1
                        Bonnie~

I'm aware that the image path appears to be incorrect.

The problem manifests itself whenever a "New from Template" page is created, but only with the header and footer image paths (the paths "reinvent" themselves in the template's child html doc). Why? It may have something to do with a "Document-relative versus site root-relative" issue Dreamweaver is having with the template I created from a preexisting doc in my site.

If you're interested, have a look at this: http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_13842

I believe the information in that article is quite valuable to my situation; I just don't know how to apply it.

Anyway, thanks for responding and sharing your personal experience.

~Michael
                        • 9. Re: TEMPLATE PROBLEM
                          Level 7
                          Michael, the only time I have managed to screw up the path in the child
                          pages when creating them from a template, the "symptoms" were different
                          from yours, so that particular experience won't help you.

Could you possibly post the url to one of the child pages; I'm wondering
                          if there is an issue with the template file itself. I'm not that much
                          of a hot shot, though I *might* see something, but others with more
                          experience can also better figure out what is going on if you do that,
                          rather than just pasting part of the code here.

Michael Helm wrote:
                          > Bonnie~
                          >
                          > I'm aware that the image path appears to be incorrect.
                          >
                          > The problem manifests itself whenever a "New from Template" page is created,
                          > but only with the header and footer image paths (the paths "reinvent"
                          > themselves in the template's child html doc). Why? It may have something to do
                          > with a "Document-relative versus site root-relative" issue Dreamweaver is
                          > having with the template I created from a preexisting doc in my site.
                          >
                          > If you're interested, have a look at this: http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_13842
                          >
                          > I believe the information in that article is quite valuable to my situation; I
                          > just don't know how to apply it.
                          >
                          > Anyway, thanks for responding and sharing your personal experience.
                          >
                          > ~Michael
                          >