9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 8:18 AM by the_wine_snob

Very Low on Virtual Memory- PE7

Hi, I'm new to editing my videos - well save for windows moviemaker if that counts. I'm not tech-y but have tried to fix this issue I via help pages and other threads, but this hasn't worked so I hope someone will be happy to please offer their expertise. I've checked the system requirements and I meet them - (1gig ram etc etc). I've also tried following the instructions in this adobe help link:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb404939&sliceId=1

But this has made no difference. PE7 can take up to 5 minutes to load and open the project I'm working on. I barely start to do anything and I get the error message noted in the topic title and from that point it runs so badly I have no choice but to shut it down, wait a few minute or remove the process via task manager and then open again. Shortly after opening - same problem. It makes editing a nightmare and playback - well forget getting far along with that. Task Manager shows it uses a huge amount of Physical Memory. I'm really frustrated and getting pointlessly angry at it. Please, if someone could help I'd be very very grateful.

• 1. Re: Very Low on Virtual Memory- PE7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Low memory issues are most commonly related to your source files, Sal.

What type of camcorder did your video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

Converting the files may be necessary.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Very Low on Virtual Memory- PE7
            Level 1

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply, cheers :-)

I'm using AVI which I loaded from a friend's old camcord. moviemaker refuses to even open them. Although 2 of the videos came from a digi cam and there are images in there as well. I'm trying to learn PE7 whilst also making my friends an amateur montage of their holiday. PE7 says AVI is compatible.

• 3. Re: Very Low on Virtual Memory- PE7
              Paul_LS Level 4

There are many different types of AVI... and there are many that PE7 does not support well or at all. Download GSpot and use it to determine the codec (coder/decoder) used for the clips. Depending on the type you may be able to download a codec which will allow PE7 to access it or you might need to convert it.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 4. Re: Very Low on Virtual Memory- PE7

And, as we said, it also helps to know what type of camcorder the video came from and how it was captured into the computer. "Very old camcorder" doesn't give us much to work with.

• 5. Re: Very Low on Virtual Memory- PE7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the questions and responses from Steve and Paul, you will also want to tell us a bit about your system, especially the hard disk setup and also how you have Windows' Virtual Memory (Page File) set up. It is very likely that your problem is with the latter, and the speed issue with the former (after we get the info on the exact format and CODEC's of the media files). For the error to cite "Virtual Memory," seems to indicate that something is not right there. Usually, the memory errors are along the lines of "Low on System Resources," which is a much broader error. Your's is pretty specific.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Very Low on Virtual Memory- PE7
                    Level 1

Hi & thanks for so many replies. This is great. I don't really understand what codec is but am doing my best to figure it out. I think it's like a driver which I think is like the thing that makes it start in the first place. The AVI files have xvid mpeg 4 decoder on them? I have  a 1g ram vista, 32 bit, 64x2 dual core, 4600/2.4GHz with lots of free gigs. I don't really understand what that means but a friend insists that even though 1g ram is recommended, the reality is 4g is the true minimum to make it run smoothly, but that sounds like an enormous difference. Still, if that is the reality then at least I know what's going on.

With the paging it was set up as auto but then I followed the instructions in the help file I linked in on my first post. I think that changed it to about 1500X3000mg.

What I have to do is compare if the AVI is the suspected cause, or one of them. I have other video clip types from my JVC hd camcord and also from my digi cam. As for AVI camcorder unfortunately it turns out my friend borrowed it so I don't know as yet. She transferred the clips to a thumb drive and from there I loaded them onto my computer.

Again thanks for your help. It's fantastic!

• 7. Re: Very Low on Virtual Memory- PE7

The codec is the method of compression that was used to create the video file.

Premiere Elements does not work with all codecs. The only MP4s that it can edit with any efficiency are AVCHD files, and then only with the proper project settings and adequate hardware.

You definitely won't be able to edit Xvid files in Premiere Elements without converting them to more traditional DV-AVIs.

The video convertor Super might be able to do this -- although, generally, Xvid files are pretty rough for any video editor to handle.

• 8. Re: Very Low on Virtual Memory- PE7
                        Level 1

Thanks so much Steve. That pretty much tells me what I need to know, I think. Other than that though I'll try other varieties of video clips and see what better luck I have with them. I have been editing the AVI clips but clearly PE7 isn't too thrilled about it.

Thanks everyone.

cheers

• 9. Re: Very Low on Virtual Memory- PE7
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Think of .AVI as the foil gum wrapper - you do not know what the gum inside is, until you "taste" it. AVI is just like that. There can be all sorts of CODEC's used to create that file.

One specific type of AVI is the DV-AVI Type II. This is the one that PE (and most NLE programs) use universally. If your .AVI is of that specific type, it will edit fine.

However, a .AVI file can contain other Video and Audio. That is what Steve is talking about. I use G-Spot to tell me what is inside the wrapper, plus to tell me a bunch more about the file. Last, it does a survey of your system and will tell you if you have the necessary CODEC's properly installed to work with the file. Even if you do, it's most often better to convert the file, outside of PE to DV-AVI Type II, before you Import it. You will greatly appreciate the speed and stability of editing the converted file, even if PE will Import and work with it unconverted.

Good luck,

Hunt