10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2009 1:32 PM by Kodebuster

Transporting slideshow to premiere elements 7

rgmcmanys Level 1

I made a slideshow for my father's 80th birthday in photoshop elements 6, when I sent it to record on my lightscribe dvd, it would not let me.  So I purchased premiere elements 7 to be able to do this and record on a dvd.  First I had problems and after searching forum I tried rendering the project.  I would render 7 photos and then say virtual memory is low.  I tried trouble shooting for more virtual memory and maybe I got to render 5 additional photos, so I went out and increased my memory from 512 to 1.4 of memory. While I was waiting to get memory, I wrote support and they informed me that 6 and 7 aren't compatible, so that made me sick, because I could have bought premier 6 a lot cheaper or I could have bought both 7 at the same price, but anyway.  What is the best way to transfer this slideshow to premiere so that I can record to dvd?  Also, how can I erase the project that is on there, because for some reason now it has copied each picture twice.

The slideshow was a 20 minute slideshow with just basic transitions and 5 mp3 clips.

Thanks so much for your help, I have been working on this project forever and it has now cost be another 200 bucks.

• 1. Re: Transporting slideshow to premiere elements 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The biggest challenge to producing slideshows with Premiere Elements is that the program sometimes chokes on the downsizing phase. (The result is usually an out of memory error, as you're seeing.) This is particularly true if you're using huge photos, directly from a digital camera.

If you resize your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels, things will likely work just fine for you. (You can even batch resize using Process Multiple Files, under the File menu in Photoshop Elements.)

• 2. Re: Transporting slideshow to premiere elements 7
            rgmcmanys Level 1

Thanks Steve, now my question is I finally found the process mutiple files under Editor and I used the browse to find the files on my computer and then I had them saved in another file with the same name accept resized was added to it.  I don't think that was the right thing to do.

Where are my adobe albums kept on my computer?  I can't find them anywhere. I could find the slideshow under my videos.  So I have to resize using the files on my computer that I orignally used to upload to ps.  Is there a way to pull up the slideshow and then resize all of them that way?

• 3. Re: Transporting slideshow to premiere elements 7
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, there is no automatic way to replace the big ones with the smaller photos.

But here's a trick.

You say you moved your down-rezzed photos to another location? Well, move your big ones from their current location and move the smaller ones to where the big ones are now.

If your smaller photos have the same names as the larger, when you next open Photoshop and Premiere Elements, the programs will swap in the new for the old.

That should get you most of the way there.

• 4. Re: Transporting slideshow to premiere elements 7
                A.T. Romano Level 7

I would take issue with the generalization that Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 7 are not compatible...

I wrote support and they informed me that 6 and 7 aren't compatible,

True, Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 7 are not an integrated set like 5/3, 6/4, and 7/7, BUT you can still use the Photoshop Elements 6 Slideshow Editor Output Option "Send to Premiere Elements" (the non .wmv route) to transfer that slideshow to Premiere Elements 7. Here the major disadvantage is that once the slideshow is on the Premiere Elements 7 Timeline the "Break Apart Slideshow" option is not available. That has implications if you intent to do further edits of the slideshow in Premiere Element, like removing or moving some photos from the slideshow, moving things around. You can still add music and do certain other things. And, surely you can still Create Menus, Burn to Disc, etc.

ATR

• 5. Re: Transporting slideshow to premiere elements 7
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

After I just posted my comments about Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 7 compatibility, I realized that you had threads with the same question posted here and at another forum in which I participate and where I have posted a very detailed response. The bottom line concerns over there were:
                  use of oversized photos and a possible pile of rendered files in the default My Documents/Adobe Folder/Premiere Elements 7. I was waiting for your response at the other forum to follow up on the matter.

It sounds like you and SG have a good dialog going, so you are in good hands here.

ATR

• 6. Re: Transporting slideshow to premiere elements 7
                    Kodebuster Level 3

I have a large amount of tagged photos (5000+) in PS, but don't use the "Send to Premiere Elements" option for SlideShow export because of some of the editing limitations stated.

My workflow via PS is as follows:

I select the Photos (itemized via Tag, or individually).

File Menu/Export/As New Files/

Select File Type (typically I use Jpeg or PSD)

Photo Size (800x600 ~ this will down-rez for PE)

Pick a Location (a folder of my choice)

Export...

I now have a new set of correct resolution Photos sitting in a separate folder waiting to be loaded into PE.

When I'm done with the Project, I delete these Photos, and free up space...

• 7. Re: Transporting slideshow to premiere elements 7
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Kodebuster

You say that you have Premiere Elements 7, but what version of Photoshop Elements do you have?

ATR

• 8. Re: Transporting slideshow to premiere elements 7
                        Kodebuster Level 3

ATR, I'm running Adobe Premier Elements 4.0, and PhotoShop Elements 6.0 came packaged with it.

I don't have PE7 at this time, but I suspect that the File Menu/Export function of Photoshop that I described works in a similiar fashion.

If it doesn't, that would be interesting to know...

• 9. Re: Transporting slideshow to premiere elements 7
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Kodebuster

Because of the title of this topic, I assumed that you were referring to Premiere Elements 7. Sorry about that.

Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4 are an integrated set which you probably know will allow you to use the Photoshop Elements 6 Slideshow Editor output option "Send to Premiere Elements" (a non .wmv route). Since you have an integrated set, the Premiere Elements 4 Break Apart Slideshow command should be available to you once you get the slideshow into Premiere Elements 4 and want to make significant edits in that slideshow before you export it from there.

You appear how developed a workflow with which you are pleased. My motto is do not mess with a good thing although other workflows are possible and have been found to be successful.

ATR

• 10. Re: Transporting slideshow to premiere elements 7
                            Kodebuster Level 3

ATR, got it, Thanx...

I'm not a big user of PhotoShop, except for cleaning up photos, and I do like the tag and organize features of the app (this comes in handy with 5000+ photos and growing).

I wasn't too happy with the catalog/album options.

I prefer the File Menu/Export workflow that I use.

Once I have copies of what I need in a separate folder, if I screw up the photos by playing with them, it's no be deal.

As they say, 'If it aint broke, don't try and fix it'...