13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 4:05 PM by yenaphe

Animate video around a path

lchapman66 Level 1

I want to animate 5 video clips moving around a path.   I have one of the videos tracing

a rounded rectangle, working fine.   Now I want to add the other 4 symetrically

around the same path. I know how to cut/paste the path but for the life of me I

can find no way to get them all equally spaced around the path following each

other.

Help?

• 1. Re: Animate video around a path
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Select the position keyframes in the timeline for each layer, and move them all so each copy's keyframes is offset in time by an equal amount (one second to the right for the second layer, two seconds to the right for the third layer).

There are a number of ways to automate this, but first it's important to understand how it works and why it works

• 2. Re: Animate video around a path
            lchapman66 Level 1

I want all the videos to move once around the path all starting/stopping at the same time.  Your method, as I understand it and tried it, staggers the starts and stops.

• 3. Re: Animate video around a path

True, but you'll find there is a section in time where all copies move together. If you trim all layers so their in/out points match that segment in time (ie, the segment between first keyframe for the last layer and the last keyframe for the first layer), it should work as you want. See attached project.

(Sorry, the system apparently doesn't take .aep or .zip files!)

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Animate video around a path
                yenaphe Level 4

Well when you have your first video going thru the path, time it.

If it takes 4 seconds to go from strat to finish, then you divide it by the number of videos. If you have 4 videos then, each video will be lagging 1 second behind the preivous one.

Put your first video on the first layer, the second on the second layer, the third and fourth on the third and fourth layers.

Now add an expression to the second layer position: thisComp.layer("First Video").transform.position.valueAtTime(time-(thisLayer.index+1));

You can copy this expression to all your other video position property.

Explanation of the expression:

thisComp.layer("your main layer").transform.position << This is the current position of your first video layer.

.valueAtTime(time) << this is where you specify, where in the time you want to take the position value. (time is in second)

Hope that helps

• 5. Re: Animate video around a path

Yes, yenaphe, but I don't know if the original poster wanted to deal with time related expressions just yet

• 6. Re: Animate video around a path
                    yenaphe Level 4

Well, at least now he can get his hands dirty

• 7. Re: Animate video around a path
                      Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adolfo Rozenfeld wrote:

(Sorry, the system apparently doesn't take .aep or .zip files!)

Damn, here's me praising this new feature ... and it doesn't exist!  That's annoying -  another feature request for the Forum guys.

• 8. Re: Animate video around a path

Absolutely!

Let's see if this project file works if you remove the .txt extension and keep. aep?

• 9. Re: Animate video around a path
                          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Congratulations, Adolfo, you've done it!  The attachment above works perfectly - just download it and remove the ".txt" from the end of the filename.

• 10. Re: Animate video around a path
                            lchapman66 Level 1

Ok, I do have a background in programming.  But I have not dealt much (but some) with AE expressions.  The time it takes for a video to cover the path is 20 seconds.  There are 5 videos.   I entered the expressions as you suggested (I think) but . . . only the keyframed first video animates.  The others position in correct initial positions but do not move.

• 11. Re: Animate video around a path

lchapman: what that expression does is make all layers below the first one do the same thing (actually, just for position), but with a delay in time. The end result would be identical, but you get the chance to keep a "live link", sort of speak, that lets youe edit the position keyframes in the first layer and get the other layers to react automatically to do what the first does did plus the delay in time. It's really great, even beautiful, but not a requirement to achieve what you want. Especially if it's just a few layers we're talking. If they are dozens or even hundreds, it would be really awful having to do it all manually. I have used such expressions to create  sophisticated 3D replication patterns like this one:

http://www.vimeo.com/1455321

And I'd be glad to post a tutorial and sample projects when I get back from the NAB trade show.

• 12. Re: Animate video around a path
                                lchapman66 Level 1

I did end-up using a time-based expression.  I modified the suggestion a bit.

1) I had the expressions look forward in time instead of back.  That way all the

videos are on screen and in initial spaced positions when the sequence starts.

2)  I had to make the lead/first/keyframed video go around twice so the trailing

videos could complete their once-around paths (because if they look forward

when the first video reaches one revolution they all stop).   I just clipped the

result in Premiere.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• 13. Re: Animate video around a path
                                  yenaphe Level 4

You're welcome. Nice to see you could get it done fast