8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 12:19 PM by the_wine_snob

Looking to purchase Premiere Elements, have question?

lilbur Level 1

I found found several movie clips in .mov Quicktime of my grandson and since using other Adobe products looked here first and found Premiere Elements. Several of the clips are horizontal instead of vertical so need to be rotated. I also thought it might be nice to put them all together on a DVD. I looked over the site and cannot find if Premiere Elements supports .mov files?

Thanks,

Sherry

• 1. Re: Looking to purchase Premiere Elements, have question?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It does -- to a point.

Quicktime is really just a wrapper for a file which can use any of several codecs. Some, like the codec for digital video, Premiere Elements handles very well. Others, like MOV video that was shot with a digital still camera, not so much.

But it's worth a try. You can download a free trial of the program and give it a test drive.

You'll certainly increase the odds it will work if you ensure you've got the latest version of Apple's Quicktime installed on your computer.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Looking to purchase Premiere Elements, have question?
            lilbur Level 1

Thank you Steve, this helps and I will download the trial to give it a go!

I work mostly with photos and had not been interested in movies until I found these in some picture files I downloaded from my son's computer. I was shocked to see my grandson growing up on video ... how terrific since they live three states away and we don't get to see them often. I now would love to put these together. I think most of them were done with his digital video camera and was surprised to see they were .mov files.

Thanks again for being there!

Sherry

Oceanside ~ South Lake Tahoe, CA

• 3. Re: Looking to purchase Premiere Elements, have question?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Along the lines of Steve's comments, you can open the files in QT Player, and hit Ctrl-J, to see the properties of each file. The Properties Panel of QT is not the most informative, but you will get an idea of what is inside the .MOV wrappers. If you jot down that info, someone here can probably give you specific recommendations on whether PE will work for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Looking to purchase Premiere Elements, have question?
                lilbur Level 1

Boy, you are right on that one! All it states other than sizes is ...

Video Track: Photo - jpeg

Sound Track: Unsigned Integer

In Presentation, Movie Controller Type: Movie Controller

Not much info 

Thanks for trying!

Sherry

Oceanside ~ South Lake Tahoe, CA

• 5. Re: Looking to purchase Premiere Elements, have question?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sherry,

You might want to try G-Spot with the .MOV files. It works great with .AVI's, most .MPEG's, and not quite so well with .MOV's and .WMV's. Still, there might be some info that would help.

In general, I have not had problems with most .MOV files. Adobe even ships these on DVD along with their "Premiere Classroom in a Book," series. However, a few have had an issue, or two, but that could be from not having a working version of QT on their computer, or similar.

Now, some of the later .MOV files seem to offer up more issues. Also, .MOV files that come from a Mac through Final Cut Pro (FCP), can use CODEC's, that just do not exist on a PC. I would *suspect* that PE will handle them fine, or if you have issues, it'll likely be something like the Audio being OOS (Out Of Sync), and that can usually be fixed easily. Your chances are better, if the files are a bit older, as they will not have some of the newer CODEC's that give any flavor of Premiere fits.

I'm not trying to sell you on something that will not work, but the chances are pretty good. Other than FCExpress, or Pro, on a Mac, I do not know of any NLE that is guaranteed to handle all .MOV files without issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Looking to purchase Premiere Elements, have question?
                    lilbur Level 1

Thank you all for the help! I'm off to give it a try ...

Sherry

PS... Did I click something wrong or did Adobe change the Forum email notification to receiving all replies???

• 7. Re: Looking to purchase Premiere Elements, have question?
                      lilbur Level 1

Dah, old lady problem's I guess, I think I figured the email notification out

• 8. Re: Looking to purchase Premiere Elements, have question?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Sherry,

Don't worry. These fora just changed format, and some things are not were even we "regulars" would look for them. We're all just getting our feet wet with regards to the new format and how things are done now.

Good luck,

Hunt