5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2009 11:16 AM by Illinoisboi

Slow screen redraws

Illinoisboi

Since I began using an NEC 24 inch monitor the screen redraws in ACR 5.2 have slowed considerably. After moving the Exposure slider it takes 2 to 3 seconds for the redraw.

Redraws in PS have slowed slightly also.

I have installed the latest driver for my Nvidia GeForce 7600 display card with 256mb.

Windows XP Pro sp3
      AMD 64x2 Dual Core Processor 2.2 GHz
      3 gig ram
      large scratch disk dedicated to PS

I'd like to get back to the almost instant redraws that I got with my old CRT monitor.

Thanks for your assistance,

Dennis

• 1. Re: Slow screen redraws
          Level 7

Unless the display has hardware problems (DVI is a kind of serial link), or the video driver has a nasty bug -- changing the display shouldn't affect Photoshop or ACR at all.  (especially not slowing things down by multiple seconds!)

Have you updated the video card driver software?

Have you tried connecting a different display?

• 2. Re: Slow screen redraws
            Illinoisboi Level 1

The video card has the latest drivers. No problem with screen redraws with my previous monitor. The current monitor (NEC 24 inch) works fine in all other respects. I thought that the size of the monitor screen might have an effect on the speed of the redraws.

Dennis

• 3. Re: Slow screen redraws
              PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello, Dennis!

Do you experience slow redraws in another software?

Did you also try an older driver?

Did you try to use another resolution (to test the speed, I know that the result would be horrible)?

• 4. Re: Slow screen redraws
                Illinoisboi Level 1

Hello PE,

I do not experience slow redraws in another software--only ACR and to a lesser degree, PS.

I do not know how to reinstall an older driver. But the problem existed with my NEC 2490 monitor with the previous driver. The latest display driver is dated April 2, 2009, which I have installed to no avail.

I dropped the resolution from 1900x1200 to 1280x720 and that helped. Instead of  two seconds, I now have a jittery response in less than a second. It still is worse in ACR than PS. I have the most difficulty when in ACR I try setting the white (exposure) and black points while holding down the ALT key.

Thanks for your assistance,

Dennis

• 5. Re: Slow screen redraws
                  Illinoisboi Level 1

PECourtejoie wrote:

Hello, Dennis!

Do you experience slow redraws in another software?

Did you also try an older driver?

Did you try to use another resolution (to test the speed, I know that the result would be horrible)?

Illinoisboi wrote:

I dropped the resolution from 1900x1200 to 1280x720 and that helped. Instead of  two seconds, I now have a jittery response in less than a second. It still is worse in ACR than PS. I have the most difficulty when in ACR I try setting the white (exposure) and black points while holding down the ALT key.

PE or Chris,

What does this mean? What is the "cure"?

Thanks,

Dennis