9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 6:34 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

classroom in a book cs3

studio 3D

Sorry, wasn't sure where else to go!?

I have the CIB cs3, and I found a weird thing I just can't figure out... if anyone has the book and can help:

I'm on Lesson 5, doing the Radio Waves (page 174). For some odd reason, if I expand the expansion, the waves get "masked" out on the right side, like they're disappearing behind a hidden alpha channel wall. WHY?

Let me know if I should go somewhere else, and please, not the obvious very hot place.

thanks

• 1. Re: classroom in a book cs3
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Unfortunately, your example image appears as "queued". Whatever that means, I can't see it

Now, I suspect you are applying the Radio Waves effect to a solid layer, and that solid layer is probably smaller than the Comp dimensions. Because of this, the waves expand and they are clipped when they reach the solid layer's boundaries. Could that be the problem?

If so, select the solid layer and go to the Solid Settings dialog (Layer > Solid Settings oe Ctrl+Shift+Y on Win, Cmd+Shift+Y on Mac) and press the Make Comp Size button... pretty self-explanatory, isn't it?

Another way: Apply the Grow Bounds effect (Effects > Utility > Grow Bounds). It will only work if you drag it up so it's above the Radio Waves effect (because it expands the layer before the other effect generates content). For solids, it's kind of silly using this effect because you can make solids larger as explained above. But when you're using any footage item with specific dimension, this will let you expand the usable area for an effect beyond the orginal bounds (duh!)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: classroom in a book cs3
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adolfo Rozenfeld wrote:

Unfortunately, your example image appears as "queued". Whatever that means, I can't see it

Attachments seem to remain "Queued" for about 10 minutes before they become available to other posters - not sure why, but the attachment is now available.

I agree with Adolfo - looks like you've applied the effect to a solid or layer that doesn't fill the composition window.

• 3. Re: classroom in a book cs3
              studio 3D Level 1

Thank you!

Originally, I did click "Make Comp Size" button, but obviously it didn't work! (?)

So I just manually changed the size and that did the trick. I also learned about the "Expand Bound" utility, and that the order of effects is important!

THAT WAS INCREDIBLY FAST, too!

• 4. Re: classroom in a book cs3

THAT WAS INCREDIBLY FAST, too!

Don't get used to that

• 5. Re: classroom in a book cs3
                  yenaphe Level 4

Yes don't get used to "Expand bound" because soon enough you won't have enough ram

• 6. Re: classroom in a book cs3
                    studio 3D Level 1

Guess there's a lot I have to get used to

The comp size expansion worked, so I could turn off the "Expand Bounds" (it DID take a long time to render!)

• 7. Re: classroom in a book cs3

"Grow Bounds" is only necessary when you apply an effect to a layer which has fixed dimensions (unlike a Solid). So, it's not needed at all in this case. Also, some effects grow bounds automatically.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: classroom in a book cs3
                        studio 3D Level 1

So, "Grow Bounds" would resize a bitmap image, for instance?

• 9. Re: classroom in a book cs3

Not resize, but rather create an invisible area around the original content that it's useful so that effects are not clipped at the edges of the footage item. As I said, some effects are smart about growing these bounds by themselves. Others, like "Radio Waves" or "Circle", are not.

I am starting to believe that mentioning "Grow Bounds" in a case where there's an easier and more direct solution (making the Solid larger) was probably a bad idea. If it's useful for other cases, then I am open to discuss it as much as you want