9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2009 5:42 PM by Steve Grisetti

PE4 Crash making DVD Menu

I'm running PE4 on a Lenovo Laptop using XP pro, Intel Core 2  1.66ghz. 2Gig Ram

Premiere crashes every  time I start to make a DVD Menu. I have tried recreating plug in cache, turning off extensions, updating drivers, temp disabling Audo and video Codecs. Since the original project is 75 minutes I also tried making a menu using 10 and 5 minutes total time of small clips.

I would appreciate any other suggestions.

• 1. Re: PE4 Crash making DVD Menu
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, laptops are always a challenge, since they're built for portability rather than power. They generally have smaller, slower hard drives -- and Premiere Elements uses A LOT of free, defragmented hard drive space for scratch disk and temp files. Depending on what you're using as source files for your video project, that 75 minutes of video could require as much as 60-70 gigabytes of free, freshly defragmented space to work. With Vista, iyou may require even more -- particularly if you're running the Aero interface, the sidebar and the dock.

I'm not sure what you mean by " I also tried making a menu using 10 and 5 minutes total time of small clips".

But, if you've got lots of free hard drive space and you've freshly defragmented, you can try doing a test project. Something maybe 10 minutes long total. Just to see if it's the size of your project that's choking your machine.

• 2. Re: PE4 Crash making DVD Menu
            Kodebuster Level 3

I've been down this path in the past with a laptop and it was nothing but grief and very long processing and encoding times.

(My laptop CPU speed was at 2.0 Mhz, not a dual core).

To reduce crashes, hangs, and freezes, the only comfort attained was to convert all video sources to DV-AVI prior to import into PE.

Even though this approach eliminated the hangs for the most part, encoding times when burning to a folder were unacceptable (a complex 90 minute project would run for hours on end).

As stated, video processing is very CPU intensive, and most laptops leave a lot to be desired in this area...

• 3. Re: PE4 Crash making DVD Menu
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Payola,

Tell us a bit more about your laptop. As Steve mentions, hard drive real estate is very, very important. What is the size of your HDD and how much is free? Have you defragged the HDD in the last day, or two?

The part about the menu, "I also tried making a menu using 10 and 5 minutes total time of small clips," also puzzles me. Is this a Menu with a Motion Background? If so, what is the Duration of the AV file, that you are using for the Motion Background? Which Menu Template are you using?

I too, strongly agree with Kodebuster. Starting with DV-AVI Assets is the best practice, regardless of whether one is on a laptop, or on a workstation, designed for editing. It pays dividends in the end.

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE4 Crash making DVD Menu
                Level 1

Hunt

If hard drive real estate, as you say, is critical that could be my issue. I

only have 25 gig of 107 available. However, I did do a project (from start

to DVD with menu) prior to this one that was about the same size and I had,

maybe, 4 additional gig HDD. I did defragment the drive five days ago. Also,

"I did try doing a test project. Something maybe 10 minutes long total. Just

to see if it's the size of your project that's choking your machine." Thats

what I was attempting to say " I also tried making a menu using 10 and 5

minutes total time of small clips". As far as I can get before the crash

takes place is clicking on the " make DVD menu" in project panel. I have

tried double clicking and dragging just about, if not all, of the menu

templates. Thats when the hang-up occurs.

• 5. Re: PE4 Crash making DVD Menu
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Payola,

The available HDD space is very low. Now, let's go to your earlier Project that worked. Since you completed that, have you completely removed all files associated with it (the Archiver to an external would be somthing to think about)? When doing a Project in any NLE, a lot (and I mean a LOT) of extra files are created. You *might* be able to reclaim some of that HDD space, with the removal of Render, Conform, Peak (.PEK Waveform display files), and such. That earlier Project could have filled your HDD to use up more, than is needed for even a simple Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE4 Crash making DVD Menu
                    Level 1

Wine Snob,

I just solved the problem.( I'm not exactly sure what it means but) I

un-installed and re-installed PE4 and templates (I saved the project file to

the desktop before un-installing) The menu button templates work fine now.

I did remove all of the AVI files before I started the current project.

However, I did find other files related to old projects that were rather

large which I removed.The added 2 gigs in HDD space I gained did not solve

my error and crash problem but I'm grateful for the space I gained.

Thank you

• 7. Re: PE4 Crash making DVD Menu
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

So Titler still crashes? Did you have any corrupt fonts? You don't by chance have Sun MicroSystems' OpenOffice, do you? There is one font that is included in it, that crashes PrPro's Titler. If you have OpenOffice, go to the PrPro CS4 forum, and look for "titler crash," etc. You'll want to look for posts by Jeff Bellune, as he lists the evil font.

Please keep us posted, and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE4 Crash making DVD Menu
                        Level 1

Wine Snob,

I just solved my problem.

PE4 Crash making DVD Menu

( I'm not exactly sure what it means but) I

un-installed and re-installed PE4 and templates (I saved the project file to

the desktop before un-installing) The DVD menu button templates work fine

now.

I did remove all of the AVI files before I started the current project.

However, I did find other files related to old projects that were rather

large which I removed.The added 2 gigs in HDD space I gained did not solve

my error and crash problem but I'm grateful for the space I gained.

Thank you

• 9. Re: PE4 Crash making DVD Menu
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Great news, payola!