9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 3:49 PM by BrianIreland

.air to exe or an MSI package?

sanjonari

Is it possible to convet an .air file into an MSI package? or even an .exe? My developers have created this app with Air and would like to roll it out companywide. We have about 300 users and don't want to install one by one manualy. Can some one help with a solution?

• 1. Re: .air to exe or an MSI package?
          jbenson@oper8

In an earlier post jeesmon gave a good answer to this:

If you have signed up for Adobe AIR Runtime Distribution Agreement, you should be able to use Silent Installation of AIR Runtime and App. We use

that in our msi installer.

Usage is:

-silent {-eulaAccepted ( -location <loc> ) -desktopShortcut -programMenu} path_to_air_file

Details of the options are included in the adobe_air_runtime_redistribution.pdf that you will get when you sign the agreement.

-Jeesmon

More information on the redistrubution agreement can be found here:  http://www.adobe.com/products/air/runtime_distribution1.html

hope that helps

• 2. Re: .air to exe or an MSI package?
            FlexyDave

We have been successful in deploying our AIR app via an MSI in our corporate environment.  The users can launch the app via a desktop shortcut or from Program Files.  However, we can't launch the AIR application from a browser (badge) if we've deployed via the MSI.

The badge thinks that the application hasn't been installed and therefore displays 'Install' as button label.  If we do install the application by clicking 'Install' we can then launch via the badge....but we need to install via the MSI.

e.g.

install.jpg

And the HTML ....

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en">

<head>

<title>eRevenue</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

<script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">

var flashvars = new Object();

flashvars.airVersion = "1.5";

flashvars.applicationID = "eRevenue94.0.2.3";

flashvars.applicationURL = "file:///Z:/IT&T/FLEX/AIR Installer Files/eRevenue94.0.2.3-dev.air";

flashvars.publisherID = "00B5DD753DA2312E245FAD63894B9C283A29B6E9.1";

swfobject.embedSWF("Badge.swf", "divBadge", "100", "50", "9.0.0", null, flashvars);

</script>

</head>

<body>

<div id="divBadge">

<p>Alternative Content</p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

To generate the MSI we install the AIR app normally on a PC, then we package up the MSI from the installed files the AIR app deploys.

The AIR installer must do something else with the Publisher ID that the MSI doesn't know about - which is why the badge doesn't seem to recognise the application is installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

• 3. Re: .air to exe or an MSI package?
              Damon Edwards Level 3

In your application descriptor file you've set "allowBrowserInvocation" to true?

• 4. Re: .air to exe or an MSI package?
                FlexyDave Level 1

yep we've done that Damon.

If we install via the badge, we can launch the air application via the badge on the web page

If we install via the .air file, we can launch the air application via the badge on the web page

If we install via the .air file, then package up as an MSI, then uninstall the air app, then re-deploy using the MSI, we can run the air app via the desktop icon or Program Files, but cannot launch via the web page & badge

I hope the above makes sense.  The MSI only includes files, no registry settings.

I'll look into using the MSI to install the .air file.  Our current MSI tool Advanced Installer 6.8 doesn't currently provide that functionality - we need to upgrade to the professional version. 

Can anyone recommend an MSI app that can do this ?

• 5. Re: .air to exe or an MSI package?
                  jbenson@oper8 Level 2

Don't package the results of an AIR installation but rather the AIR file itself along with AdobeAIRInstaller.exe.

Package it, run it in your custom setup with the silent install option, the result will be that your AIR application will be installed exactly the same way as it would be through the badge or direct AIR file install.

(Of course, sign the redistribution agreement)

• 6. Re: .air to exe or an MSI package?
                    FlexyDave Level 1

Thanks Jason,

Can you recommend any MSI packaging software that can do this?

• 7. Re: .air to exe or an MSI package?
                      jbenson@oper8 Level 2

The only things I've ever used for creation of MSIs are setup projects in Visual Studio and WiX.  (Which are probably overkill for distributing an AIR application.)

For executing shell commands via a setup project, this blog post is pretty handy: http://openlandscape.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/executing-shell-commands-from-a-visual-studi o-deployment-project/

I've used VBS custom actions quite often but you'll get the gist of it (if using Visual Studio) from the blog post above.

WiX is also a good option for creating MSI files but depending on the complexity of your installer the learning curve is pretty steep. More info on WiX here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa302186.aspx and http://wix.sourceforge.net/.  (Note you don't need Visual Studio for WiX although it can occassionally come in handy)

• 8. Re: .air to exe or an MSI package?
                        FlexyDave Level 1

I've downloaded a trial of InstallAware and have successfully been able to create an MSI which runs the adobeairinstaller.exe passing the necessary arguments.

However, it ends up installing 2 apps in my Add Remove Programs - the AIR app and the app named in the MSI !

I'll try figure out how to not have the MSI app recorded in the Add/Remove Programs

• 9. Re: .air to exe or an MSI package?
                          BrianIreland

Hi

I used InstallJammer to package a sample Adobe Air app with the Adobe Air Runtime included.

The .air file was first converted to a .exe, then packeged this and the air redistributable.

I have put the details on my blog.

Didnt do a silent install as suggested above, but will use that from now on.

Brian