5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2009 8:03 AM by Lee Faulkner

Changing a move lengths to match animation speeds?

Lee Faulkner Level 1

Hi

Here's what I'm trying to do .....

I have some very long narrow still images (30,0000 x 2000 pixels) and need to pan along them, to be rendered to a movie. I want the movie to be around 120 secs, and to pause at specific points spread unevenly throughout the image.

So I set a comp length to longer than 120 secs....   say 240 secs.

I zoom in (scale) and  set a start position key frame.  Then I move to the 120 secs mark and add an end keyframe. So now I have a continuous pan over 120 secs.

Now I go back and find the points at which I need to stop the move. I add a keyframe and toggle Hold. Then move down the timeline for the Hold duration and insert another keyframe to get things moving again. Then Repeat.

OK, I have all the moves and appropriate hold frames. However, since the hold frames are not evenly spread along the original still, the moves occur at different speeds. I want to make them all the same. I understand this might make some segments of the animation take a  longer or shorter time, but that's not a issue.  Obviously a speed needs to be selected.... so suppose I look at the speed graphs for the current moves and see that one section looks good at say 200 pixels per sec.

Is there any way to get that speed applied to the whole position animation? I know the keyframes will all move in the timeline ....

I've tried various Roving Keyframes  and Velocity assistants but can't get the effect I'm after.

If anyone actually understands what I'm attempting to explain.... I'd really appreciate a shove in the right direction!  Maybe I'm off in the wrong direction altogether!!

Thanks in advance

Lee

• 1. Re: Changing a move lengths to match animation speeds?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

And if you just move the keyframes with the graph editor open? The speed graphs will update continuously, you know.... It's certainly possible to rig this with expressions and such, but 5that seems the long way round to something that could achieved with other means.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Changing a move lengths to match animation speeds?
            Anti-M Level 1

Greetings Professor Faulkner

If I understand this correctly, you could simply right click on each of the keyframes and go to set keyframe velocity. Set the hold to 0 and then set all the others to the same value, like 60 px/sec.

C

• 3. Re: Changing a move lengths to match animation speeds?
              Navarro Parker Level 3

You could also try the "Drift Over Time" preset which moves your layer at a constant (or animate-able) pixels per second.  Then use Time Remapping with EasyEase to pause your animation where you need it?

• 4. Re: Changing a move lengths to match animation speeds?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lee Faulkner wrote:

Hi

Here's what I'm trying to do .....

I have some very long narrow still images (30,0000 x 2000 pixels) and need to pan along them, to be rendered to a movie. I want the movie to be around 120 secs, and to pause at specific points spread unevenly throughout the image.

You could certainly do this with an expression without too much trouble but by far the easiest way would be to Pre-compose your animation, then double the length of the comp, enable time remapping, then set keyframes where you want to pause the motion.

Move the CTI to the second keyframe in the timeline. Now you grab all keyframes but the first one and slide them down the timeline for the amount of time you want to pause the move. If you wanted a 2 second pause you'd move all of the keyframes but the first one down the timeline 2 seconds. Now you select only the second keyframe, copy it, then without moving the CTI you paste. Your animation will now move at it's original speed then pause for 2 seconds, and resume the original speed. You then repeat the process  by moving the CTI down the timeline to the next spot you want to pause the movie (now the third keyframe) grabbing all of the keyframes but the first 3 and sliding them down the timeline 2 seconds, selecting only the 3rd keyframe and pasting it to the CTI position. Repeat until you're done, then select all keyframes and press f9 to ease them in and out and you'll have exactly what you want.

You can see a screen cap movie of the process by clicking the link. I tried embedding it and it didn't work.

• 5. Re: Changing a move lengths to match animation speeds?
                  Lee Faulkner Level 1

Wow ... thanks for all the prompt replies!  This is really the best, most helpful forum I've ever come across.

Rick, that was especially above and beyond ... a movie yet! 

The time remap thing slipped by me .... I just wasn't thinking in that direction. But, it's a very nice and elegant solution!  Saved me loads of time.

Thanks so much

Best

Lee