10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2009 8:45 PM by Damon Edwards

Installing AIR application gives blue screen of death

David O.

I tried installing an Adobe AIR application called HelloWorld.air from a book entitled "Adobe Flex 3 Training from the Source", and I would get the Windows' blue screen of death. I've seen others post about this, so I know I am not alone. My operating system is Windows XP Professional SP 2 and above.

This issue is preventing me from even getting into Adobe AIR application development, and I was wondering when a fix for this will be made. I tried downloading the Adobe AIR runtime again, but it is still the same byte size as the previous one I downloaded, so I'm assuming it's still the same one (since it doesn't state any version number).

Is there anyone who has had this problem and was eventually able to work with Adobe AIR? Any response would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Installing AIR application gives blue screen of death
          Damon Edwards Level 3

I've not had this problem, however, let's see if we can reslove the issue.  Have you tried installing any other AIR applications?  What version of the runtime are you running?  I don't have the book you are referencing, so can you attach or provide a link to the application in question please?

• 2. Re: Installing AIR application gives blue screen of death
            David O. Level 1

No, I have not tried any other .AIR application because when I got the blue screen twice in a row trying to install HelloWorld.air, I searched Google right away and actually found posts in the Adobe forums of other people having the same problem. I remember seeing Adobe Support responding to that post, too, but I can't seem to find that thread anymore. Had I not seen other people having this issue, I would've looked for another .air application to try.

My Adobe AIR runtime version is 1.5.1.8210. I have also attached the helloworld.air application that came with the book to this post.

I remember I get the blue screen right away just double-clicking it in explorer to begin the installation; I don't even get as far as seeing any installation wizard windows.

Damon, thanks for responding, by the way.

• 3. Re: Installing AIR application gives blue screen of death
              David O. Level 1

Well, the forum won't let me upload an .air or .zip file. I think I had your email address in the email notification I got, I'll email the zipped up .air file to your email. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Installing AIR application gives blue screen of death
                David O. Level 1

Here is the HelloWorld.air file that came with my book.

Thanks.

David

• 5. Re: Installing AIR application gives blue screen of death
                  Damon Edwards Level 3

I don't see the file, and didn't receive an email from you.  Try sending me the AIR package directly at dzedward[at]gmail[dot]com.

• 6. Re: Installing AIR application gives blue screen of death
                    Damon Edwards Level 3

Alright, I'm not sure why it triggers a BSOD for you, but it's not installing due to the fact it was built for an early version of Adobe AIR.  Download and install another AIR app to make sure everything is fine (check out my app: DeskTube).  If that works with no BSOD, then it appears your system doesn't like it if there is an error when trying to install an AIR application.  If that is the case, log a bug report HERE.

• 7. Re: Installing AIR application gives blue screen of death
                      David O. Level 1

I remember when I was getting BSODs the first time I tried installing an

.AIR application on my laptop, I got that "Send Error Report" window from

Microsoft, and I had clicked to send it. It came back with a report stating

that this was being caused by anti-virus software. This time around, I

turned off my anti-virus software (from CA, or Computer Associates) I

downloaded your application and tried to install it, and once again, I only

got as far as where I could select to save an icon to my desktop and/or to

launch the application after install, and when I clicked the "Install"

button, I got the BSOD right away.

I went the extra mile this time though. I installed Adobe AIR and your

application on another desktop that is totally clean with absolutely no

antivirus software whatsoever, not even a software firewall. I got the same

BSOD at the exact same spot.

I know Adobe knows about this because of a past thread I had not only read,

but responded to as well. It's just unfortunate it hasn't been fixed yet

because I'm really raring to start writing Adobe AIR apps.

By the way, Damon, your app looks nice, I just wish I had been able to

install it to see what it's all about. Lastly, thank you for responding to

my issue. I will report this as a bug on that link you gave me.

David

• 8. Re: Installing AIR application gives blue screen of death
                        Damon Edwards Level 3

Alright, so it appears there is some sort of conflic with the installer.  Definately report the bug, sorry that there isn't more I can do for you.

• 9. Re: Installing AIR application gives blue screen of death
                          David O. Level 1

Damon! My problem is resolved! I created a bug report based on the link you gave me, and somebody named Ann Garido-Nakagawa responded to me and told me there was an application called Folder Lock that has been known to cause this "blue screen of death" problem. True enough, I had that software installed in both my laptop and desktop!

I uninstalled it off my laptop and tried to install your Desktube.air application, and it worked!

Your willingness to respond to my issue started the chain towards my resolution. This is no small matter to me because my work deals a lot with Flex, and Adobe AIR was certainly a major part of my plans, and it was really a bummer when I was getting those BSODs. Thank you very much again for being helpful!

David

P.S. By the way, I like your application, and I think I will be using it a lot from now on! I also made sure this post had the appropriate phrases so that anyone else having this same problem can more easily find it in google search in the future.