24 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2009 5:02 PM by Harm Millaard

Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

Nick Schale-yeNCYk

I'll add some computer stats but honestly, I dont think they matter that much since the same system was running CS3 like a champ.

Dual Core 2 (2.4ghz e6600), 8gig DDR2 ram, Raptor 10k OS drive, 5x 320gig data drives. Nvidia 8800gts card. Vista Prem. 64bit.

I shoot on a Sony EX1 and after upgrading to CS4 I noticed an EXTREMLY slow playback on the preview. No effects added, just dragging down and simple cuts. The audio typically goes smooth though.

Any initial thoughts? or can I provide any more details to help what may be going on?

• 1. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.
          MarkWeiss Level 1

For the record, I had the same problem on a quad-core at 3.5GHz. Playback of the video would freeze but the sound would continue, and every 10 seconds or so, the video would advance to another frame. After 3 months of research, tweaking and troubleshooting, I reverted to CS3.

I tried it on two different, but similar workstations. The graphics card on one is 8800GTS, the other is Quadro FX4600. Problem is worse on the Quadro.

• 2. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

Nick, welcome to the forums.

What version of OpenGL does your graphics card support? (Please check with the manufacturer on how to determine that.)

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.
              fuaho Level 1

Want to really slow things down?? Try locking 2 video and 4 audio tracks....!!!

• 4. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Nick,

Can you post a screenshot of ProcessExplorer from SysInternals? Something is hampering thruput and ProcessExplorer is an easy way to start the investigation.

• 5. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.
                  Nick Schale-yeNCYk Level 1

Re: Eddie.

Nvidia OpenGL 3.0 supported on all 8000 series and higher.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_3_driver.html

• 6. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

I have a recital coming up where there will be three camera angles (all PMW-EX1s / 35mbs footage). Had no problem when I did this on CS3 but if this problem does not get resolved I could be in trouble.

• 7. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

Sure I will try and do that tonight.

I also have captivate, but literally JUST got it and have never worked with it. Do you want me to try and screen record some? (Im sure that probably takes a decent amount of resources though)

• 9. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

Something else that is interesting....

Playback on video is very choppy... yes in draft mode, tried letting the Hardware and Software do the aspect ratio conversion (dont know how necessary this is but both failed to improve the playback)

But when switching to RGB parade or Vectorscope, it STILL was choppy...

if i turn the eye off the video layer (so just audio is playing back) smooth as silk.

• 10. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

I found a temp fix that worked for a system a friend asked me to look at.  It is not really a valid solution but it does seem to fix the problem at least until the root cause can be found.  If you set the priority of the ImporterProcessServer to above normal, it seemed to fix the problem (at least on the system I was working on).  To do this, open task manager, right click on the process and click Set Priority -> Above Normal.

Doing this isn't really recomended as it could take cycles from more important system processes or other critical processess.  In this case, he just sets the priority up when he needs it, then back down when he is done.

In case you are wondering, the specs of the system I was working on are:

System:

Core2Duo e8400

Asus Maximus Formula Mobo

8gb DDR 800

GeForce 8800GTS 640 (latest drivers from NVidia)

1x750gb System drive

1x1.5tb Video storage

1x1.5tb Swap / Render drive

Windows 7 64 Beta build 7048

Windows Vista 64 (dual boot)

Project:

Hockey game shot at 1080 60i + some shots at 720 60p.  Each were in their own sequence.

He did mention that he still couldn't view multiple video streams without it slowing down, but at least he was able to view the normal footage without delay. Also, I performed and tested the fix only on the Windows 7 system, so I am not sure about Vista but it should help there as well.  I look forward to hearing about a true fix.

Good Luck

• 11. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

This actually made it worse

It is extremly hard to edit. NOTE. I loaded some STANDARD DEF footage and it is STILL CHOPPY!!!!!!

• 12. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.
                              Level 1

My apologies, I was hoping that since your system was so similar it would work.  It does sound like it may be a bit different seeing as SD and even HDV worked fine on my friends.

• 13. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

FIX... but not a completely satisfactory one.

PROBLEM: Playback was choppy to the point it was uneditable.

CAUSE: Apparently this problem happens when your footage and sequence's have different resolutions. I have created new sequences and the footage played back fine.Most of my work i shoot on 1920x1080 and edit it for DVD. SO I edit it in the correct resolution... that is what causes this problem in CS4 apparently.

IT's nice that CS4 upgrade allows you to make sequences with different resolutions in a single project. However, i never saw the slow down that I see when pulling mismatched resolutions.

• 14. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Nick,

Thanks for posting a resolution to your problem.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    i shoot on 1920x1080 and edit it for DVD. SO I edit it in the correct resolution.

The way I read that is you're editing in a 1920 x 1080 sequence, which would be correct for that media.  But somehow I think you meant that you're editing in a 720 x 480 sequence because you're final output is DVD, but that would be an incorrect sequence because it doesn't match your media.

The 'correct' sequence preset is one that matches your media, not your intended output.

• 16. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

Let me clarify,

I shoot my footage in 1920x1080.

Most of the final output is SD DVD 720x480.

SO I edit in 720x480.  <<<---This was the problem causing the choppyness.

• 17. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.
                                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Nick Schale wrote:

Let me clarify,

I shoot my footage in 1920x1080.

Most of the final output is SD DVD 720x480.

SO I edit in 720x480.  <<<---This was the problem causing the choppyness.

The proper workflow is to edit your show completely in a sequence that matches the native resolution.  So you edit in 1920x1080 and finish your production.  Nest the HD sequence into an SD 720x480 sequence (for export only) and scale the nested sequence appropriately.

When you export, make sure that Maximum Rendering Quality is checked for both sequences, or Pr will give you lousy deinterlacing and scaling.

Note: Hopefully someday we'll be able to create a single, native-resolution sequence and just add it to the Adobe Media Encoder queue one or more times with different export settings, but that's not the case currently.  For now, you need to create a sequence for each export format that you'll need, and then add those individual sequences to the queue with their matching export settings.

-Jeff

• 18. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

Awesome post Thank you.

Let me also give the reason I shoot that big for a screen that small... panning and zooming :/ I see doing this as a bit of a problem with the correct workflow you posted.

Maybe i am overlooking something though...

or... do i just need to have everyone frame their shots carefully from here on.

• 19. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

Well.....I thought the point of having a HiDef camera was to make HiDef movies?   Are you saying you're shooting in HD but will only deliver SD content?  If that's the case, then convert the HD footage to SD before you ever import it into Pr.  I don't know about your camera, but some HD cameras will output SD during capture if that's what's needed.  And there are free, 3rd-party tools that can do the conversion much better than Pr.

-Jeff

• 20. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

Ha, tell that to the dancer kid's moms... i would love to make ONLY BluRay discs for them But as it stands MY purpose for having a HiDef cam is to have the ability to shoot up to HiDef and still knock out standard def projects. I have a feeling you were adding a little bit of joking to that though.

As far as downconverting before importing.

Again, I do this to be able to pan/zoom the shots. If I downconvert first, that takes away from the ability.

• 21. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

do i just need to have everyone frame their shots carefully from here on.

That is the better way, yes.

• 22. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

Nick Schale wrote:

Ha, tell that to the dancer kid's moms... i would love to make ONLY BluRay discs for them But as it stands MY purpose for having a HiDef cam is to have the ability to shoot up to HiDef and still knock out standard def projects. I have a feeling you were adding a little bit of joking to that though.

As far as downconverting before importing.

Again, I do this to be able to pan/zoom the shots. If I downconvert first, that takes away from the ability.

I was joking.

Once your rough cuts are done in the HD sequence, you could nest it in the SD sequence and then animate the Scale and Position properties to properly frame the shots.  IMHO that type of animation doesn't require playback quite as smooth as generating the rough cuts does.

But if smooth playback is essential to you even for animation, then export an intermediate file using a lossless codec like Lagarith or using a high bit rate I-frame only MPEG2 file and then animate that intermediate clip in the SD sequence.

But I think Jim confirmed the best solution - make sure the shots are framed properly to begin with.  Then you won't need to pan and zoom *unless* your clients won't accept letterboxed SD.  At which point you should charge them extra for a "full screen" version. (only half-joking here).

-Jeff

• 23. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.

Hi- I am having a similar problem, and got most of this discussion, but need more help. I have 3 video files, each with different image sizes (among other things). How would you suggest that I work with this? To start, I can't get this single file to play in Premiere CS4 (even without adding the other files). Can you please help me get this to play correctly? I don't think that this is a hardware problem. Thank you.

Type: QuickTime Movie
                                                    File Size: 3.6 GB
                                                    Image Size: 640 x 480
                                                    Pixel Depth: 24
                                                    Frame Rate: 30.00
                                                    Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 16 bit - Mono
                                                    Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
                                                    Total Duration: 00:48:00:22
                                                    Average Data Rate: 1.3 MB / second
                                                    Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

QuickTime Details:
                                                    Movie contains 1 video track(s), 1 audio track(s) and 0 timecode track(s).

Video:
                                                    There are 86422 frames with a duration of 1/30th.

Video track 1:
                                                    Duration is 0:48:00:22
                                                    Average frame rate is 30.00 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:
                                                    Frame Size = 640 x 480
                                                    Compressor =
                                                    Quality = Least (1.00)

Audio:
                                                    Audio track 1 contains 1 type(s) of audio data:

Audio data block #1:
                                                    Format = 16 bit - Mono
                                                    Rate = 44100.0000 Hz
                                                    Compressor = 16-bit Little Endian (uncompressed)

• 24. Re: Upgraded to CS4 and video is VERY choppy.
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Convert whatever your source is, to DV AVI type2 before importing.