8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2009 4:40 PM by jenpen2

ftp contribute will not connect, but dreamweaver and aceftp do okay

amy19355

the configuration setup fields are no different than any other software - all user name password, url ftp - it's all entered correctly.

i'm on an imac with a trial version.

everything is dead dog slow.

the errors

"timed out" error

"can't verify your conneciton information"

"server is down or not accepting connections"

yet, i've got two other machines sitting right here swapping files on demand with dreamweaver or aceftp.

on the imac as well i have dreamweaver successfully running

all ideas welcome

thank you

amy

• 1. Re: ftp contribute will not connect, but dreamweaver and aceftp do okay
          PhilB33

Sorry to highjack your thread Amy but I'm having similar problems also on a trial version but only getting the one error message saying that it can't verify my connection - Dreamweaver is fine.  Running Vista Ultimate both 32 & 64 bit.

Any suggestions??

Phil

• 2. Re: ftp contribute will not connect, but dreamweaver and aceftp do okay
            amy19355 Level 1

the best i can figure out is that the program runs very very slowly.

patiently waiting for the page to fully load after each mouse click.

maybe there is a live hook to adobe's website that validates the trial and that causes the slow down? once it got through the initial looooonng set up, it has worked fine.

good luck

• 3. Re: ftp contribute will not connect, but dreamweaver and aceftp do okay

Phil,

Any luck with your problem.  I am also having a problem with connecting using a trial version.  The Connection Wizard has no problem until I get to the dialog box where I enter the folder where my website resides.  Then I get the error saying it can't verify my connection.  Any ideas?  I can connect just fine through a manual FTP connection.  Also, I have all the files and folders from my website on my local hard drive.  Do you know of any way to configure Contribute to use these local folders instead of having to connect to the actual website on the Internet?

Thanks,

Jim

• 4. Re: ftp contribute will not connect, but dreamweaver and aceftp do okay
                PhilB33 Level 1

Sorry for not replying earlier but I've been working away from home.

I emailed Adobe support but they didn't want to know "we don't support trial versions" - don't they understand that we won't buy if we can't trial it or get it to work?

I've tried it on Vista 32 bit on my laptop and 64 bit on the desktop with the same results.

Phil

• 5. Re: ftp contribute will not connect, but dreamweaver and aceftp do okay
                  Level 1

I was able to resolve the connection problem that I was having (sort of).  It seems there was an issue with the permissions I was granted on the folders where the website files reside.  I was not able to manually FTP any files to those folders.  That access problem was fixed.  I can now manually FTP new files to those folders and replace or rename existing files in those folders.  Contribute was able to set up the connection after this access was fixed.  However, the problem I am having now is that Contribute is getting an error when I try to publish my changes to the site.  My changes included cutting and pasting some images from a word document.  When Contribute tries to publish these images I get an error saying the file either does not exist or there is an access problem.  What's strange to me is that some of the image files appear to have been transferred, but the file name has a .LCK extension after the .jpg extension.  I am not able to manually delete or rename the files with the .LCK extensions on them, so it seems like there is some kind of locking going on that only Contribute has access to these files.  I'm pretty much stuck at this point.

I was able to set up a second connection to do the maintenance on my local hard drive, then manually change the image file names in the resulting HTML code, then manually FTP the files out to the website folders to get some changes out there, but this seems like a very bad way to go about this.

Any ideas on the publishing problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jim

• 6. Re: ftp contribute will not connect, but dreamweaver and aceftp do okay
                    jenpen2

Related problem with CS4 ... just downloaded the trial version but cannot connect via FTP to any website on any remote server. Even the "test connection" won't connect. CuteFTP is having no problems.  I suspect there's some conflict with something else I'm running. But how do I diagnose this when Adobe Support won't support people who are trialling their products??? And I'm trialling it with a view to putting two clients onto it ... so that's three sales that might not happen!

Adobe, are you listening?

• 7. Re: ftp contribute will not connect, but dreamweaver and aceftp do okay
                      PhilB33 Level 1

Hi,

I've found that if you use a redirect to the webserver you have problems e.g.

www.mydomain.com is say host on www.myhost.com/mydomain/ so if you try to ftp to ftp.mydomain.com this will work in Dreamweaver and all of the other ftp apps but Contribute wants you to put in ftp.myhost.com/mydomain/

HTH

Phil

• 8. Re: ftp contribute will not connect, but dreamweaver and aceftp do okay
                        jenpen2 Level 1

Thanks Phil, but I have found that it was a conflict with my firewall. I'll post that in case others have the same problem.

Cheers, Jen