2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2008 11:48 AM by EvolvedDSM

Lost on deploying Flex on a ColdFusion server

akMorganH
      This is the second question today, and hopefully this one can be resolved as i'm very interested in using Flex.

I downloaded the 60 day FlexBuilder 3 trial, and it works nicely.

However, I have a ColdFusion 8 server attached to a 10g Oracle database. What needs to be installed on said server to get Flex to work correctly, and be able to query the database?
        • 1. Re: Lost on deploying Flex on a ColdFusion server
          Level 7

"akMorganH" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g9kh1v$ea1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > This is the second question today, and hopefully this one can be resolved
          > as
          > i'm very interested in using Flex.
          >
          > I downloaded the 60 day FlexBuilder 3 trial, and it works nicely.
          >
          > However, I have a ColdFusion 8 server attached to a 10g Oracle database.
          > What
          > needs to be installed on said server to get Flex to work correctly, and be
          > able
          > to query the database?

Flex is a client-side technology, so you'll use ColdFusion to query the
          database and return a result as usual. Flex will simply replace the UI
          (form and result pages).

HTH;

Amy

• 2. Re: Lost on deploying Flex on a ColdFusion server
            EvolvedDSM
            Two things I'll mention:

1) Here's one solution which I am using because I have CF 7.0.2:

You'll need a J2EE server -- I suggest JBoss, Tomcat, or Java's Glassfish (which is what I'm using).

-Download FDS/LCDS and install the J2EE version (not JRun) to a root directory (C:\LCDS for example)
            -Open the admin panel for your J2EE server and use it's deployment method on Flex.war from the FDS/LCDS directory mentioned in the step above.
            -This will now deploy FDS/LCDS to your J2EE server (including all necessary config files in flex/WEB-INF/flex/)
            -Simply create a new flex app within the /flex context on your J2EE server and then make adjustments to the config files mentioned previously to connect to a CF datasource

Suggestion: Google for Flex and ColdFusion to get the specifics

Solution #2: If you installed LCDS with CF8, you can use this as your deployment.

Suggestion: check this link out for a good idea on how to set your project up (though this example uses Flex 2 with CF8, you'll easily figure it out for Flex 3)
            http://blog.olivermerk.ca/index.cfm/2007/8/4/Creating-a-New-Flex-Project-Using-ColdFusion- 8-with-LiveCycle-Data-Services