22 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2009 2:43 PM by futureman223

No Video in Preview Monitor

Hello everyone,

So i downloaded the trial of premiere cs4 to see if it would be better that the cs3 i am currently using, since cs3 has several glitches that are driving me crazy! Anyway... there is no video showing up in the preview monitor... it is just blank! I can hear the audio, but the preview window only shows a turquoise color when stopped on a clip, and black when a clip is playing...

When i click on the video preview window, bringing up the clip handles etc, the video will appear but as soon as i attempt to play or scrub, it just goes blank again...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. i have attached a screen shot showing the very curious color of the blank preview window!

• 1. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

What type of video is it?   The download is crippled and will not support any flavor of mpg2 including hdv.  That is likely the cause.

• 2. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
            Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion... but unfortunately No, that is not the case... it is some other glitch... i remember several years ago when i was trying out the cs3 trial, and having problems with mpeg's, but with cs4 i have tried several kinds of video, all with the same results!

• 3. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Do you have codec packs or a lot of codecs loaded on your system?  Some codec packs tend to take over and interfere with Pr.

• 4. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                Level 1

It is running on a fresh install of Vista... with no codecs what-so-ever, not even quick time!

• 5. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

What is the source file you are trying to play?  File ext and codec?

• 6. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                    Level 1

Its not a codec issue unfortunately... i have tried everything from .wmv .m2t .avi etc, but they all give the same results. Also if it was the codec it would not show up when i bring up the clip handles, and it would not show the clip thumbnail... and it would typically not conform, and show peaking...

• 7. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

What version of OpenGL does your graphics driver support?

Cheers

Eddie

• 8. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                        Level 1

I am not sure what version of OpenGL my gcard supports... i can look it up if you tell me where... the card itself is a radeon x1400

thanks

• 9. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

The documentation that accompanies the driver should detail what version of OpenGL it supports.

Check the manufacturer's Web site.

Cheers

Eddie

• 10. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                            Level 1

OK i checked the ATI website, and it says: "Complete feature set also supported in OpenGL® 2.0"... is that the info you were looking for?

• 11. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Yes, CS4 requires at least OpenGL 2.0, however it is driver specific, so be sure your driver version is the one mentioned on the Web site you visited.

Cheers

Eddie

• 12. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

IIRC, Vista did not include many of the CODEC's that XP had. There is/was a Vista CODEC "pack" on MS's site. Now, your installation of CS4 should have added the main CODEC's to the system, but there are plenty of formats, that will likely not be recognized.

Do you have any of the G-Spot info on each of the files with no Video? This is often the case with DivX & Xvid (.AVI wrappers).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

futureman223 wrote:

Its not a codec issue unfortunately... i have tried everything from .wmv .m2t .avi etc, but they all give the same results. Also if it was the codec it would not show up when i bring up the clip handles, and it would not show the clip thumbnail... and it would typically not conform, and show peaking...

I have to disagree with your reasoning on this one.  With the data to hand so far, it could well be (and even seems likely) that the codec is the issue here.  Knowing exactly which one is being used, especially in the .avi files, may help us troubleshoot.

As a point of information, Premiere tends to work best with standard camera formats - DV, DVCPRO HD, HDV, AVCHD, XDCAM, etc.  Other kinds of video do tend to cause issues.

• 14. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                                    Level 1

If it was a Codec issue, it would not generate a thumbnail, and the video would not show up when i click on the preview window, bringing up the handles... I am fairly experienced with computers and know that much... i am inclined to think that premiere is generating the real time preview with some sort of hardware acceleration that is not happening! Does anyone know how the preview window works technically?

I guess i will just have to stick with glitchy old premiere cs3... unless someone can put an end to this mystery... also dont forget about the strange turquoise color that shows up in the preview window instead of the clip, what on earth could be causing that?

• 15. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                                      Keano66 Level 1

I, too, had this problem with CS4.  I could hear the audio but no video in the preview window.  I fixed it by downloading the latest drivers for my video card Geforce 5500.  The thing was, I thought I had already the latest drivers but in reality, I didn't.  So my answer to the original post is to make quite certain that you have the latest drivers.

• 16. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                                        Level 1

Yeah the driver would seem like the logical issue... but i jave just reinstalled my video driver 3 times with no change...

• 17. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

If it was a Codec issue, it would not generate a thumbnail, and the video would not show up when i click on the preview window, bringing up the handles.

That's not necessarily true.  But rather than a multipost back and forth discussing it, why not just list the specific codecs used in the .avi files?  Much easier for us to help if we have all the data.

• 18. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                                            Eddie Lotter Level 4

I can't remember if this is an nVidia card, if so then this might apply.

Cheers

Eddie

• 19. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                                              Level 1

HMMM, that nvidia driver thing, seems quite interesting... i wonder if a similar problem is happening with my ATI card... is anyone familiar with the behaviors of a system with the nvidia glitch?

as for the codecs, i tried a .m2t with mpeg2 codec, a .wmv with windows media codec, a .avi with cineform codec, a .avi with mpeg4 codec, an uncompressed SD windows media file with .avi extension, a .mp4 file with h.264 codec... and that is all i can remember right now, they all gave the same results... hope that helps!

• 20. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

It does.  I can see reasons why every one of them might not work.

The M2T won't work with the trial version, or it may cause issues if it's something recorded from a DVR (as opposed to being from an HDV camera).

WMVs aren't the best source media, and even when all else is working properly, these can sometimes cause issues.

The AVI files with Cineform might cause an issue if you don't have Cineform properly installed, (and it was my understanding that Cineform hasn't yet come with a version compatible with CS4.)

The AVI with MPEG4 sounds like Divx, or Xvid, or some other MP4 variant, which are generally used only for final delivery, not for editing, and often cause issues.

Premiere's compatibility with Uncompressed requires the addition of add-in cards, such as those from BlackMagik or AJA.

The MP4 file using H.264 might have the same issues as the AVI using MPEG4.

Overall, it sounds like you're using all kinds of non-standard formats.  Try a test with some standard camera formats, preferably DV, or failing that try HDV, DVCPRO HD, etc.  In short, get yourself a camera and use it's footage to test with.  Report back what happens.

• 21. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                                                  Softpen

I don't think it is a codec problem. I see the problem with your video card driver.

If your video card is X1400, you are trying to install on a laptop possibly Dell.

Graphics driver with laptop is usually with manufacturer and not by graphics chipset

company (In this case, ATI).

I think you need to install latest Catalyst driver from ATI, but it probably won't install on a laptop.

If you don't mind "unsigned/un-WQHL'ed" driver, you can visit www.driverheaven.net to get

an instruction on how to install the latest Catalyst driver.

Fault lies with Adobe backward compatibility testing and graphics driver issue.

• 22. Re: No Video in Preview Monitor
                                                    Level 1

Thank You so much Softpen... you should seriously be getting a commision from adobe! I just put in my order for cs4 educational because of your help! and Adobe needs to seriously get off there butts, and fix this crap! I cannot imagine how many people with Dell laptops like me have gone through this endless headache... Adobe should be ashamed!

Anywho, after visiting that driver site, i went through there instructions... by the way, for anyone having a similar problem, you cannot just download the latest catalyst, you have to "patch" it first, with there included automated system, and then install... and then cs4 started working like a charm!