17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2008 7:05 AM by Karzons

Tutorials for days 4 to 7

Lee Burrows Level 4
      Does anybody know when the remaining tutorials for days 4,5,6 and 7 will be posted?

I'd like to learn Flex in a week, not 0.428 of Flex in 3 days...
        • 1. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
          Level 7
          I think we have all wondered that for weeks. They really should have
          finished the series before posting. This is no different than publishing
          half a book with the promise to send the rest of it later. Problem, for me
          anyway, is that by the time the rest is posted, I'll probably have to retake
          most of 1-3 cause it's been so long.

Nancy

"Bunky 2K" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g9mq3a$11q$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Does anybody know when the remaining tutorials for days 4,5,6 and 7 will
          > be posted?
          >
          > I'd like to learn Flex in a week, not 0.428 of Flex in 3 days...

• 2. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
            cqprod
            I thought they would have it posted by now too. I need to know what I don't know so I can produce something useful.

:-)
            • 3. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
              SWT62
              Hi, I've been developing with Flex/AIR for a couple of months now and I would have loved to have had what you have here when I started.

You don't need to trawl the internet looking for examples - these are
              brilliant!

Better to have these now than nothing ;-)

Steve
              • 4. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                maoanz
                I wonder whether the a week here means 7 days or 5 days?
                Maybe they give us also 2 days off. :-)
                • 5. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                  onlymullapudi
                  does anybody know, when the day 4 and day 5 videos are going to be ready...
                  • 6. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                    yurioira32
                    hi, are these videos for beginners? i need to know what exactly the list i would be downloading/purchasing after i bought the Flex Builder 3 Standard.

i know eclipse is free for download ...

do i really need to buy BEA Workshop 10.1? BEA have released 10.2, will this work with Flex Builder 3?

do i really need to buy IBM Rational Software Architect 7.0.0.3?

will this FLex Builder 3 work on Win XP SP3? i have upgraded my XP to service pack 3.

FLEX BUILDER 3 FOR WINDOWS® (STANDARD AND PROFESSIONAL)

* Intel® Pentium® 4 processor
                    * Microsoft® Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista® Home Premium
                    * 1GB of RAM (2 GB of RAM recommended)
                    * 500MB of available hard-disk space (additional 500MB required for plug-in configuration)
                    * Java™ Virtual Machine: Sun™ JRE 1.4.2, Sun JRE 1.5 (included), IBM® JRE 1.5, or Sun JRE 1.6
                    * Eclipse™ 3.2.2 or higher for plug-in configuration (Eclipse 3.3 recommended for Windows Vista)
                    * Adobe Flash® Player 9 software*
                    * BEA Workshop 10.1
                    * IBM Rational Software Architect 7.0.0.3 (Eclipse 3.3 plug-in configuration only)
                    • 7. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                      rsadwick
                      The videos are a great way to get started with Flex along with using the support material and examples that come with Flex 3. When you start Flex3 builder for the first time, a start page will appear. The start page will point you in the right direction to get you started.

For starters, all you need is Flex Builder 3. If you're using Eclipse, there is a Flex plugin available for purchase.

• 8. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                        Werner v. Aswegen
                        It's all fine and well to point out that there are other sources of training available, but that's besides the point.

The banner I clicked on stated something to the tune of "Learn Flex in a week". Now (as previously mentiontioned here in this thread) it's bad enough that the all of the tutorials were not available from the start, but it seems more and more likely that the missing tutorials will never be posted.

It comes down to false advertising.

I appreciate the time and effort Adobe have put in to create what's already been posted, but perhaps they should have planned this thing slightly better and have all the tutorials ready before making the video training available.

This situation is a real letdown. Come on guys!
                        • 9. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                          yurioira32 Level 1
                          BUT! where can we find the link of the videos (the right video tutorial :--))?
                          • 10. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                            Level 7
                            Agreed .. although this may or may not be Adobe's fault. It appears that
                            the project is subcontracted out to BrightCove so who knows where the
                            breakdown lies?

It would indeed have been better to have held off until the series was good
                            to go. Can we say "creationComplete" ? :)

Nancy

• 11. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                              Werner v. Aswegen Level 1
                              This morning I check my email and guess what I find in the inbox? An email from Adobe with regards to the Flexbuilder trial I downloaded.

I just skimmed over it until I noticed that they mentioned teh 5 day video training. Great! So I mozy on down to the video training page (I have it bookmarked don't you know) and guess what I find? Zilch, nada, nothing.

That's right. No change. Just the bitter dissapointment like that of an orphan on Christmas eve. (thought I'd try the emotional blackmail angle ;p )

So we wait...
                              • 12. Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                                BluDragon777
                                I started using Flex a couple of weeks ago (at the beginning of the month). I was going to use these tutorials until I saw that they were incomplete. I have been using the Lynda.com basic tutorials instead and they are wonderful so I will probably be getting the advanced ones soon. I hate spending money on info that should be free but it is well worth it.
                                • 13. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                                  KapiDaGreat
                                  Hi All,
                                  I just join. I want all 1-7, if any one have...thanx
                                  • 14. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                                    slugolicious
                                    I understand Adobe's position that "These online forums are for user-to-user discussions of Adobe products, and are not an official customer support channel for Adobe" but I was hoping they'd be monitoring them and chime in occasionally. It'd be nice to hear "we're still working on the videos" or "our contractor has gotten backlogged" or something.
                                    • 15. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                                      SmilingRoses
                                      My two cents on the subject is. Be patient!! After all these tutorials are FREE! And they are for the most part nicely put together. I do have issues with outdated instructions and parts that are missing, but the fact that not all 7 days are here right now seems a minor problem. They could have chosen not to give us any.
                                      • 16. Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                                        Calrain
                                        Yes, I'm very grateful Adobe has put the effort into these free Tutorials, they are very eye opening, and provide a great framework around which I can focus on more specifics.

Also, I think there will only be 5 days of training. If you go to a training center and get onto a week long course, they are only 5 days. So I hope we will get 1 more day.

Beyond that, it would be good if Adobe had the ability to add more lessons later into the structure, maybe people can vote for course topics, or people can post their own, then have peers rate the tutorials.

Everyone has specific requirements so I'm sure it is hard for Adobe to try and workout what everyone is interested in.

Thanks Adobe! Look forward to the next day of training!
                                        • 17. Re: Tutorials for days 4 to 7
                                          Karzons Level 1
                                          thanks for information