16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2010 4:21 PM by glashoppah Branched to a new discussion.

ridiculous problem with 'capture'

Antinet Level 1

So my Canon HV30 is supposedly supported by PRemiere CS4 or so it says, but I'm supposed to preview the footage on my camera?

I can open imovie and capture the footage effortlessly, but your PRO software works less well than a consumer application?

Then I find I have NO manual whatsoever, except what is online, which is a bunch of forums and poor searches. preview footage on

camera...good one....please tell me how to preview my footage INSIDE of the application, and import thank you. One of the most

critical elements of the video editing process....

• 1. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There is no preview with HDV footage. You need to capture, wait for indexing to finish and then you can preview.

Manuals are available from Adobe in printed form or can be installed in PDF format from the disks.

• 2. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
            Antinet Level 1

Thanks. I just brought in some footage. I guess I'll survive the lack of on-screen preview, but I still seems like a basic item.

It puts more time on my camera's lcd screen.

• 3. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please note that you should be able to preview the footage from the camera (for example while logging a batch) before capturing, on the Windows platform. It is only during capture that there is no preview so as to conserve resources and prevent dropped frames.

You will find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
              Eddie

• 4. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
                glashoppah

I agree with the OP - this behavior is just ludicrous.  As the OP said, you can do it in iMovie, and you can also do it in Final Cut Express ($200) as well as Final Cut Pro.

Not only this but while Premiere is capturing you can't do anything else with your computer.  Click anywhere else and the capture instantly stops.  Nope, can't read that email.  Oh, you have 10 hours of tapes to capture?  Well you can just forget about getting anything else done on your stratospherically expensive new Mac Pro.

And this problem also does not exist in the other cheap consumer products.  At the very least Adobe should have made this configurable with warnings for whatever dire thing they think might happen, so we could CHOOSE the behavior we want.  But no, I gotta look away from my huge, expensive monitor over to the side over there where my camera's 2" LCD is and squint at it, while up on my huge expensive monitor I get a poorly scaled bitmap in lurid purple telling me DON'T LOOK HERE FOR YOUR INFO MISTER.  This is extra odd - why even include the screen graphic in the capture tool if it's not going to display anything?

G.

• 5. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
                  RDA972 Level 3

"while Premiere is capturing you can't do anything else with your computer.  Click anywhere else and the capture instantly stops"

That's utterly wrong, actually. You can capture in the background and read your emails with CS5 at least on the PC side.

Also, if you insist on monitoring the HDV signal you're capturing on your computer screen, use On Location.

• 7. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    while Premiere is capturing you can't do anything else with your computer.  Click anywhere else and the capture instantly stops.  Nope, can't read that email.

This is probably dependent on the power of one's computer.

Also, if you want monitoring, there would not be any time for e-mails, or Web browsing. One would be, well monitoring the Capture.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
                      RDA972 Level 3

"This is probably dependent on the power of one's computer."

That remains to be seen. Granted I have a beefy machine, but I am willing to bet this is a task an average (PC?) computer can easily perform.

• 9. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
                        Jim Hines Level 1

Typing to you now as I capture HDV on my Dell PC i7 3.Ghz 12 gigs ram CS5 with update.

• 10. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
                          RDA972 Level 3

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Would a fellow PPro user on a Mac care to chime in?

• 11. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

We'll likely see. When a computer cannot multi-task (obviously, we PrPro users know that some activities only work when PrPro has focus), it is often a sign that the computer does not have the horsepower to provide resources to multiple programs. I could easily imagine this being the case on an iMac, smaller MPB, or an e-Machine. As you, and now one other PC-user, have pointed out, multi-tasking is not that big a deal.

OTOH, I may have to just eat those words, if we find that most Mac's cannot do this.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

• 12. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              Nope, can't read that email.

Ideally you shouldn't be using your production rig for anything other than production.  You should have a separate computer for everything else.

• 13. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
                                shooternz Level 6

Because this subject comes up regularly..... "I cant monitor my capture...etc"

Why does anyone need to see (monitor) the capture?  You are going to see the images plenty when you get to edit them so whats the purpose of sitting there watching a realtime capture process.  Take a coffee/beer break instead.

FWIW: You dont and cant monitor when you use a file based system (eg ingesting files from a P2  or SD Card). and..you can not monitor film when it gets processed either.

• 14. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

Though definitely not the exact same here, when doing a Capture from VHS tapes, I use that monitoring to do my shot lists, filling in my spreadsheets on what is being Captured, in as much detail, as is possible. In most cases, I have never seen those tapes, until they are handed off to me, and yes, I will be seeing them quite a bit - some probably more than I want to.

Now, if I have shot the material, I already have my shot list, and the spreadsheets are pretty full to begin with. Then, it IS time for a beer break.

Hunt

• 15. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
                                    shooternz Level 6

Ah...ha.

I can see that they maybe a productive use of time while monitoring the capture.

Guess I have been file based for so long now that I have changed my workflow.

• 16. Re: ridiculous problem with 'capture'
                                      glashoppah Level 1

Considering that I'm doing all this on a brand-new Mac Pro with two four-core CPUs and 16G of RAM, I doubt it's a horsepower problem.  When I posted this elsewhere on the forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3078892#3078892

you'll note the link I provided and the apparent fact that this is an issue on the Mac OS.  Regardless of anyone's opinion of what I should be doing with my computer, I see no reason that I should not be allowed to choose this behavior myself.  It's certainly interesting that it works on the PC version and not the Mac version - in the thread I quoted above it was made clear that it shouldn't work on either.

G.