2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2009 6:07 AM by David Stiller

How do I turn off automatic grouping in Flash CS3?

Every time I use the rectangle, line, brush, or pencil tool it puts whatever I draw into a group. I realize I can just ungroup it everytime I draw something but that's just a hastle. Anyone have any ideas?

• 1. Re: How do I turn off automatic grouping in Flash CS3?
          David Stiller Level 2

HAFlax,

The Tools panel has an area at the bottom for optional settings that changes as you select various tools.  Click the Selection tool, for example, and you'll see buttons for Snap to Objects, Smooth, and Straighten (hover over these buttons to read their tooltips).  Click the Text tool, and the options area goes blank, because the Text tool has no such settings.  Click the Rectangle tool, and you'll see Snap to Objects and something called Object Drawing.  It's the Object Drawing button that determines whether you're in Object Drawing mode or Merge Drawing mode (the traditional, ungrouped approach).  Assuming it's already selected, click the Object Drawing button to deselect it.  At that point, your drawings won't be grouped unless you select them and select Modify > Combine Objects > Union.

David Stiller
          Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
          http://tinyurl.com/dpsFoundationFlashCS3
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I turn off automatic grouping in Flash CS3?
            Level 1

That did it. Thanks a ton!