7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 5:28 PM by Webshark2000

Workflow Question with Soundbooth

Webshark2000 Level 1

When should I send my audio to Soundbooth to be cleaned up (removing noise)?  I'm working with master clips that have video and stereo audio with a lav mic on the left channel and camera mic on the right.  I end up deleting the camera mic audio and making the lav mono once I bring the edits to the timeline.

Should I then send the audio to Soundbooth to be cleaned up?  The only problem with waiting until this point is that I have to send every single edit individually (or at least I haven't figured out how to send more at once).

If I right-click on the master clip in the project panel and select Edit in Adobe Soundbooth, then choose Extract audio it will send the stereo clip to Soundbooth with both the lav and camera mics and I can't figure out how to get rid of the camera mic audio once I'm in soundbooth.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Workflow Question with Soundbooth
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Webshark,

You have hit a common problem - when do I work on the Audio? Normally, I'll do the visual editing first, and the Audio last. However, as you point out, that can mean treating a bunch of Audio Clips and a lot of work. Given that circumstance, I'd do it early on, before the first cut, and then come back for any Audio cleanup. Another option would be to Export your Audio, once all cutting is complete and your client has signed off on the Project. Then work on that Exported Audio and Import it back into PrP to replace the individual Clips with the complete, finished Audio. You could just Mute their (the original Audio Clips) Audio Track, or Lock other Tracks, Ctrl-a (Select All) and delete. The possible drawback is that any revisions could mean extra work, at this point - get the sign-off in writing, and bill for any changes beyond that point.

Now to Sound booth. I do not use it, but instead Audition. There, I can easily delete one channel (your camera mic in this example). I would *assume* Soundbooth would allow for the same operation. I'd even find it hard to believe that it cannot, since this would be a very simple task. However, I have not used SB, since it's beta, and then not much, or often. Someone will drop in and tell you the exact steps to do it, I feel certain.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Workflow Question with Soundbooth
            Webshark2000 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I found out that SB CS3 doesn't have the ability to seperate out channels (unless you export both channels as mono out of SB and import the one you want back in).  They added it in CS4 from what I hear.

I think I will go ahead and mix the dialogue in Premiere, get it to where I want it (edit-wise), and then export all of the dialogue to SB to clean up and replace the individual cuts in PPro after the clean-up.  The only downside to this is that I have several different talent speaking and need to clean up each of their records seperately.  So I'm giving each talent their own dialogue track in PPro, then muting all other, exporting that one track out of PPro to SB to clean up, then bring the cleaned-up audio back into PPro to replace.

Man, I need ProTools.

• 3. Re: Workflow Question with Soundbooth
              Maakies

This is very basic and you may have already tried this, maybe just go to audio effects and choose fill left?  Then from this point fix up the audio, that is if you don't want the camera mic at all.

• 4. Re: Workflow Question with Soundbooth
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd ask why your sound guy is giving you a feed with noise in it that has to be cleaned up later?  Better solution is to record clean audio to begin with.

• 5. Re: Workflow Question with Soundbooth
                  Webshark2000 Level 1

Good observation Jim, although on most shoots, I am the sound guy, lol.  I try to get as clean audio as possible, but sometimes we're forced to shoot in a location where the air can't be turned off or some other noise creeps in.  I've been using Gold Wave on the last couple of projects to remove air conditioner and other noises and it seems to do a really good job.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Workflow Question with Soundbooth
                    windowman Level 1

Then why not use Goldwave now? If SB won't do something as simple as separating audio channels, then Goldwave will.

Are you sure SB won't do this though? In Audition you just have to highlight the channel you want to keep and then choose edit/past to new. This will give you the channel pasted to a new audio track as a mono wave.

• 7. Re: Workflow Question with Soundbooth
                      Webshark2000 Level 1

If you can, I haven't figured how.  I saw in another thread that someone said CS3 couldn't separate channels but CS4 can.  I actually did end up using GoldWave for this project.