4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2009 10:26 AM by Colin Brougham

Compatibility of new Canon HF-S10 MXP (24 Mbps) mode with PPro

Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Does anyone know if this new Canon 24Mbps AVCHD mode is compatible with Premiere CS4?

• 1. Re: Compatibility of new Canon HF-S10 MXP (24 Mbps) mode with PPro
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

Few people will have this camcorder at the moment. My suggestion is to try it out in the shop and take the recordings on a SDHC card with you to try it out. Even though you have a beefy machine, you may be disappointed by the performance. 24 Mbps requires quite some muscles.

• 2. Re: Compatibility of new Canon HF-S10 MXP (24 Mbps) mode with PPro
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Bill,

Found a couple of sample clips (MTS files, right from the camera) at the Videomaker website. Downloaded them and tested them--worked just fine. Both are 24Mbps.

PS: This was on my P8400 (2.26GHz dual-core) laptop with 4GB RAM on Vista Business 64-bit. Played them off the system drive, set to draft quality, in a DV sequence with "Scale to Frame Size" set. Played smoothly. My guess is that 24Mbps varities of AVCHD are actually easier to playback than any of the more compressed varieties (13Mbps or 17Mbps or whatever flavors there are)--since it's less compressed. Disk throughput certainly isn't going to be a factor for any modern machine.

• 3. Re: Compatibility of new Canon HF-S10 MXP (24 Mbps) mode with PPro
              tclark513 Level 3
              PS: This was on my P8400 (2.26GHz dual-core) laptop with 4GB RAM on Vista Business 64-bit. Played them off the system drive, set to draft quality, in a DV sequence with "Scale to Frame Size" set. Played smoothly. My guess is that 24Mbps varities of AVCHD are actually easier to playback than any of the more compressed varieties (13Mbps or 17Mbps or whatever flavors there are)--since it's less compressed. Disk throughput certainly isn't going to be a factor for any modern machine.

How is putting it in a DV sequence a test?  He wants to know what the editing would be like in HD.

• 4. Re: Compatibility of new Canon HF-S10 MXP (24 Mbps) mode with PPro
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Because it's still the same footage--doesn't really make a difference what sequence preset it's in. And it's also more processor-intensive to scale the footage than not. Therefore, in my mind, it's a pretty good test of the editability of such footage. You are welcome to disagree, and conduct tests based on your own rubrics and standards.

Incidentally, it plays back just peachy in an AVCHD 1080i full-raster sequence...