7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2012 1:48 PM by GDT-IT-Dept RSS

"Fatal Error:  Acrobat Failed to connect to a DDE server"

SebAguilera Community Member

Problem: Acrobat generates the following error "Fatal Error:  Acrobat Failed to connect to a DDE server"

SCENARIO#1
      1) If I double click on a single PDF file, the file opens with no problems
      2) If I double click on a second PDF file, I get "Fatal Error:  Acrobat Failed to connect to a DDE server"
      3) If I double click on a third file I also get "Fatal Error:  Acrobat Failed to connect to a DDE server" and so on..
      4) If I close Adobe Reader completely, I can then open any one single PDF file again
      5) Basically I can only have one PDF file open at any one time
      6) If I reboot my system, I can open multiple PDF files again with no problems but after leaving my system on without rebooting for a while (possibly after an entire day) the issue comes back again and I have to reboot yet again to fix the issue. Very annoying.

SCENARIO#2
      1) I Double click on a single PDF file, the file opens
      2) I Click on File=>Open choose single or multiple PDF file and have no problems opening up as many PDF files as I want.
      3) I suppose that I can use this as a workaround however I find that it is not as convenient as double clicking on multiple files in Windows Explorer.

Here's what I've tried so far unsuccesfully

- Uninstalling/Reinstalling Adobe Reader 9.1
      - uninstalling Adobe Reader 9.1 and installing Adobe Reader 8
      - Removing the checkmark beside "USE DDE" in the File Types section of Windows Explorer
      (In Windows Explorer, Click on Tools=>Folder Options=>File Types=> PDF=>Advanced=> Open=> Change=> Use DDE)

screengrab1.JPG
      - Set Windows Services Network DDE and Network DDE DSDM services to Automatic and verified that they are both started

I am on a corporate network if that helps

Appreciate any suggestions

Sebastian