3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2009 1:53 AM by [Jongware]

Script to select a color swatch?

plug_in_guy

What is the JavaScript code to select a color swatch in InDesign CS4, assuming I have the zero based index of the color swatch I want to select?

TIA,

Steve

• 1. Re: Script to select a color swatch?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

There is no such thing.

JavaScript does not control or mimick the user interface; rather, it works directly with objects in the documents and application itself. Instead of selecting an object and applying a swatch, you can apply any swatch directly to any object. The swatches themselves are objects, but not selectable ones -- you can only select document objects.

However: if you have the reference to a swatch (for example, by index), you can manipulate it: duplicate, remove, change its color, etc.

I assume your goal is not to select a swatch as such, but rather do something to/with one. If you explain a bit more, there might be a more conventional way to do what you intend.

• 2. Re: Script to select a color swatch?
            plug_in_guy Level 1

Jongware

Thanks for your post. I understand what you are saying and perhaps I wasn't clear enough in explaining what I needed. I wanted to select a color swatch so that the next object the user drew would be the color my script selected. I discovered and settled on the following after much pain:

var myDoc=app.activeDocument;

myDoc.selection = NothingEnum.nothing;            // deselect all objects to prevent replacing the color of an object that might be selected already
            myDoc.pageItemDefaults.strokeColor = "None";   // set document default stroke color to "None"
            myDoc.pageItemDefaults.fillColor = "red";            // set document default fill color to "red" where "red" is the name of the color I wanted

This might "encourage" (or make it easier for) the user to draw objects in the color I've left him/her auto-selected to.

Thanks again,

Steve

• 3. Re: Script to select a color swatch?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Yes, I see what you intend.

Setting the default fill and stroke does the trick -- that's entirely similar to what happens in the UI as well.

You could add this a refinement: if the user has one or more objects selected, you could apply the color. Something like

if (app.selection.length > 0)
              {
              for (var i=0; i<app.selection.length; i++)
              {
                app.selection[i].fillColor = app.activeDocument.swatches[myFill];
                app.selection[i].strokeColor = app.activeDocument.swatches[myStroke];
              }
              }