10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2009 1:34 PM by joshtownsend

Workflow for Clips Used in Multiple Projects?

Taverino Level 2

I have about 40 hours of HDV tapes that I plan to capture in Premiere Pro CS4. There will be about 200 clips, many of which I will want to access from multiple Premiere Pro projects. I like the ability to store things like the tape name, scene, take, log notes, etc. in the metadata during capture. So let's say I have a new, empty project and I want to browse through all of the captured clips to determine which ones I want to add to the Project Pane.  The Media Browser in Premiere Pro does not seem to display the meta data. Is Bridge the best/only way to preview the clips and the metadata? Is there a better way to do this?

• 1. Re: Workflow for Clips Used in Multiple Projects?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I do prefer Bridge for this type of media management, though it may not show you all the info you want, either.  You may have to use a third party tool which offers a Scene Detect option, and will append the required info to the file name.

• 2. Re: Workflow for Clips Used in Multiple Projects?
            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Also, you can customize the columns displayed in the Project Panel to include any Metadata fields you like.  Then you can filter for them with the search bar.

Depending on how your projects tie together you may want to be aware of a new feature in Pr CS4.   You can import individual sequences from one project to another.   So; if your projects are modular or share certain themes, this can be a huge time saver.    When you import a sequence from an old project, it also imports any assets that seq used automatically into the new project.

• 3. Re: Workflow for Clips Used in Multiple Projects?
              Taverino Level 2

Curt,

Yes, I am using the project panel to display these fields and also to be able to preview each captured clip. But here is the problem. I'm going to have a library of a few hundred captured clips. A typical project may use 15-20 of these clips. While building the rough cut in the project, I would like to be able to search and preview all of the available clips to select the ones for this particular project.

So when I create a new project, should I drag all several hundred of the clips into my Project Panel and create a rough cut by dragging the ones I want into a separate bin or into a sequence, and delete the unused ones?

Thanks for pointing out the feature to import sequences/assets between projects. As I build common sequences from the raw footage, that will become extremely useful.

• 4. Re: Workflow for Clips Used in Multiple Projects?
                Taverino Level 2

Jim,

One problem I ran into immediately with the approach using Bridge. The files created when I capture HDV using Premiere Pro CS4 are .mpeg files. Bridge sees these in the folders, but claims they are not valid video files when I try to preview them. Running Mac. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

• 5. Re: Workflow for Clips Used in Multiple Projects?
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

I think it depends on your specific project needs.  Media browser might suffice for browsing clips to inlcude in each project; I would try that first.  Depending on the media though, the media browser doesnt always show thumbnails.

If media broswer doesnt work, Bridge.   But you are also finding some limitations on what bridge can display also.

If they dont work, loading up all clips in project panel would be ok.  Woudl be best with a lot of mem box.   If you have good meta data, you can filter and search pretty nicely in the project panel.  Include the field "Video Used" so you can easily see if you have used a clip in the project.

If you want to archive the project; use Project Manager to trim all unused clips from the project for archiving.

• 6. Re: Workflow for Clips Used in Multiple Projects?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Back when I was using Avid, primarily for cutting news promos, I often used common elements in project after project--footage, music, animations, graphics, and so on. It became a little tedious importing or capturing elements time and time again, so I came up with method to make the process a bit easier.

What I did was create a new project that I simply called "COMMON". Into this project, I would capture footage that I knew I wanted to reuse, or import common graphics (due to the way Avid works, imported graphics would actually be turned into video media). I would then organize the footage/media into relevant bins. With Avid, a project's bins are all saved as individual files, so that allows you to import one project's bins into another. Pretty convenient.

OK, great--but Premiere Pro doesn't work this way. The process has to be modified to take advantage of PPro's ability to import one project's timelines into another. So here's what I'd suggest:

1. Create a "COMMON" project (or whatever name you want).
                    2. Import or capture all of your footage into the COMMON project, and organize it in bins in a way that works for you. I don't suggest importing graphics, due to the way Premiere works, but you certainly could if you wanted.
                    3. Create a timeline and give it a name; for example, name it after your destination project (ie. "NEW_PROJECT") just to make life easier. It really doesn't matter which sequence you use, as it's simply going to be a temporary container. Just use the preset that matches the majority of your clips.
                    4. Into this sequence, drop the clips that you want to use in your destination project. You don't need to be too tidy and exact, if you don't want to--just plop clips into the timeline one after another. All you're doing is creating a "selects reel". If you've used metadata to label your clips, you'll easily be able to use it to select the clips you want to use. This process will combine the strongest capabilities of the built-in Media Browser and Bridge.
                    5. Once you've added the clips you want, save the project and close it. Create a new "destination" project, where you'll do your final assembly.
                    6. Using your import method of choice, navigate to the COMMON project, and open it. When the dialog to import all sequences or a specific sequence appears, select the sequence that you created in the steps above. A new bin will be created, and in it will be contained the sequence you created, as well as all of the clips used in that sequence. You can either use that sequence, or trash it and build a new one.

Those imported clips are now completely independent of the original COMMON project, so nothing you do in it will affect your destination sequence. If you have additional footage that will see repeated use, or for future projects, just go back into the COMMON project and repeat these steps. It's maybe not as elegant as a more robust Media Browser (that hopefully is coming in a future update) or Bridge, but it's a decent stopgap for the time being.

• 7. Re: Workflow for Clips Used in Multiple Projects?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Bridge sees these in the folders, but claims they are not valid video files

I suppose it's possible that Bridge doesn't work with HDV.  I believe it doesn't work with DVCPRO HD either.

• 8. Re: Workflow for Clips Used in Multiple Projects?
                        Taverino Level 2

It's maybe not as elegant as a more robust Media Browser (that hopefully is coming in a future update) or Bridge, but it's a decent stopgap for the time being.

Colin,

As I play around with my options, I am coming to the conclusion that a more robust Media Browser is exactly what I need here. The ability to search/view metadata and to preview captured clips. videos, photos, and sound files without having to add them the project pane would be a welcome addition. Since I am heavy Lightroom user, I might even prefer Adobe add support for video to the Library module, something one might expect given the increasing popularity of video-capable DSLR's. Dragging or exporting video clips and photos from Lightroom to Premiere Pro could be a great solution! But my deadlines don't give me the luxury of such dreams right now.

In the meantime, A COMMON project as you describe is definitely something I will try. Thanks!

• 9. Re: Workflow for Clips Used in Multiple Projects?
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Taverino wrote:

The ability to search/view metadata and to preview captured clips. videos, photos, and sound files without having to add them the project pane would be a welcome addition.

That's precisely what I think the Media Browser needs. It seems like a "whoops... how'd we miss that?" kind of thing, especially given the ability to search metadata in the Project panel and in the Metadata panel. This is definitely worthy of a feature request, but I have to imagine this is something that is already planned. The Media Browser (in my mind) is one of the best additions to CS4, but it still feels a little incomplete--for instance, you can't turn on thumbnails for AVI/MOV assets, but you can't turn off thumbnails for P2/XDCAM assets. Hardly a show-stopper, as the Media Browser is still quite functional, but there is certainly a great deal of room for improvement/enhancement.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Lightroom getting these capabilities too soon, simply for the fact that most video folks aren't going to have Lightroom in their arsenal. Obviously, things are in flux with the new crop of DSLRs. I would expect (and hope) that Adobe will continue to add capabilities to Bridge, and make it more functional for the video realm, since it's a part of all the bundles. At this time, I don't use Bridge much because most of what I work with is generated from a Panasonic P2 camera in MXF containers, and Bridge won't touch MXF, as was mentioned previously. With the proliferation of tapeless formats--P2, XDCAM, AVCHD and whatever comes next--Bridge could become a key part of the workflow with support of these formats.

It's lack of these abilities that led me to use the COMMON project. For instance, I have a great deal of stock footage that I've shot in HD with my HVX200. Since Bridge won't let me view and tag these files, I created a STOCK FOOTAGE project that organizes the footage into bins and sequences with the same names. It's easy to add additional footage as I shoot it, and it's a simple matter to bring specific footage (ie. SUNSETS) into a current project. Hopefully that will fit into your workflow, as well.

• 10. Re: Workflow for Clips Used in Multiple Projects?
                            joshtownsend Level 2

Colin Brougham wrote:

That's precisely what I think the Media Browser needs. It seems like a "whoops... how'd we miss that?" kind of thing, especially given the ability to search metadata in the Project panel and in the Metadata panel. This is definitely worthy of a feature request, but I have to imagine this is something that is already planned. The Media Browser (in my mind) is one of the best additions to CS4, but it still feels a little incomplete--for instance, you can't turn on thumbnails for AVI/MOV assets, but you can't turn off thumbnails for P2/XDCAM assets. Hardly a show-stopper, as the Media Browser is still quite functional, but there is certainly a great deal of room for improvement/enhancement.

Yeah wish Bridge supported P2 files. Even better would be Photoshop supporting them.

Agree about 'Media Browser', it's the biggest reason I stuck with CS4. It saves me so much time with the P2 files. But if I could see them in Bridge I wouldn't really care.

I hate that 2 second lag time before 'media Browser' opens clips. That's annoying.