6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 11:12 AM by ~graffiti

saving a PDF form

How do I save a PDF form that I've filled out online, with the information in the form fields?  I have Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard and recently updated to Adobe Reader 9.  With the previous version of Adobe Reader that I had, I could save the completed online forms to my computer.  Just last week, this proved to be very helpful as I was able to bring up completed forms from 2007 to prove that they had been filed, when the website in question corrupted the forms it had archived.

But with the new version of Reader, I'm not able to save the completed form.  I can save a blank version of the form but not the completed form as filed.  I tried printing it to a file, and printing it as an image -- neither worked.  When I open the form online, it uses Reader not Acrobat; I'm not sure how to get it to open using Acrobat and I'm not sure if that would allow me to save it either.  I downloaded a previous version of Reader (which had been uninstalled when I upgraded to Reader 9) but it didn't complete the install because it detected the presence of Reader 9.  I did do a "Print Screen" and copied that to a Word document but that's a bit of a pain, and is certainly not as easy to read.

I really need to be able to save the completed form and it seems as if Adobe should realize that I am not just using the free Reader.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: saving a PDF form
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unless the forms have been specialy enabled using Acrobat or a server side product (an expensive one) you will not be able to save them using Reader. The older forms may have been enabled but I can't say for sure without seeing one.

Reader opening the file as default is one of the reasons it's not recommended nor supported to have both Reader and Acrobat installed together on a Windows machine.

Fortunately what you CAN do is, download the file first, open Acrobat Standard, use File>Open to open the form, fill it in and save it using Standard. Not perfect but it works.

• 2. Re: saving a PDF form

I have Adobe Reader 7.0, can I do what you just said? Also, can you outline instructions on how to do that??  I just tried it and it did not work..

Thanks so much

Jason

• 3. Re: saving a PDF form
              Level 1

Thank you!  I didn't realize that I should not have both Acrobat and Reader installed on the same machine.  I uninstalled Reader.  After doing that, I went to the website I've been filing these forms at.  I can now open the completed forms in Acrobat and save them to my computer with the form fields filled in.  Thanks again.

• 4. Re: saving a PDF form

Margaret L. wrote:

Thank you!  I didn't realize that I should not have both Acrobat and Reader installed on the same machine.

You're welcome.

Unfortunately, I believe that they don't make that clear enough right up front. They DO mention it in the knowledge base but most folks don't make it in there.

• 5. Re: saving a PDF form
                  mmesarch1

I think have a similar question as you answered here.  But I want to just make sure I am understanding your response.

I have created a PDF form in LiveCycle and saved it as an Adobe Static PDF form.  When I supply this form to my users.  The only way they can fill it out and save it is they must have Adode ACROBAT.   The free Adobe Reader will not allow a user to fill out the form and then save it electronically.    They can only fill out the form in Reader and then print it out. Is this correct?

So any one I want to fill out the form and save it electronically will need to have Adobe Acrobat and at least the Standard addition...which costs money.

• 6. Re: saving a PDF form

mmesarch1 wrote:

So any one I want to fill out the form and save it electronically will need to have Adobe Acrobat and at least the Standard addition...which costs money.

No. All you would have to do is enable the form (I'm not sure where the option is in LiveCycle but in Acrobat it's under Advanced>Enable usage rights in Adobe Reader). Then Reader users can fill it out and save the results.