4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2009 4:42 PM by David Wigforss-Hv1BNN

Avi export doesn't work

I would really like to do my advanced editing in AE but when I try to export as a .avi, it comes out as a file with nothing on it. It will still have the filesize that it would originally have but nothing on it. When I try to play it, it is just a black with no sound. I wasted about 30 minutes exporting it and nothing was on it. It did work before, this isn't my first time using after effects. Every other time it came out just fine. Please help, I would really like this to work.

I don't think I have changed any of the settings and when that avi exporting window comes up, sound and video are checked. I'm not sure what could be the problem could be.

• 1. Re: Avi export doesn't work
          David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2

What codec are you rendering to?  Perhaps render to another format, and then see if you could rerender that for your avi.  If you have premiere or another compression program, you could load your rendered image sequence (or lossless QT:Animation) and compress in that.

And "advanced editing" and "After Effects" are a bit oxymoronic.

• 2. Re: Avi export doesn't work
            Level 1

Hey David,

Well to be honest, I'm not very familiar with rendering in after effects. All I used to and still do is just, when I'm done, click export right away.

• 3. Re: Avi export doesn't work
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Rather than use "Export", use the more advanced Render Queue:

When your composition is ready to render, choose Composition/Make Movie. Choose your Render and Output settings, then hit the Render button.

If you explain what your output target is (Web, DVD etc) we can suggest more specific details.

Read more about the Render Queue in the AE CS4 Help files.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Avi export doesn't work
                David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2

Ah - that's your problem..  Don't use File/Export.  Instead use the Render Queue (read up in help for more info than I can type...)

To render your movie, set your work area for the full amount you want to render.  Hit ctrl-m to Make Movie (adds it to the render queue).  Set your options and you should be good to go.  Realize that AE can't do multipass compression, so as I mentioned before, you might be better off rendering to a lossless format (tga sequence with RLE enabled, QT:Anim) and then compressing it in another program.

Also, some formats require specific resolutions..  If you are still having problems, please mention your comp settings, render settings, and render format/codec.