9 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2009 11:25 AM by M K B

Unhandled win32 exception

M K B Level 1

Hello,

Today, PE 7 crashed and I received the following error message while exporting to a wmv:

"Unhandled win32 exception occurred in Adobe Premiere Elements.exe"

with the option to debug using "New Instance Of Visual Studio"

I got this message yeterday, also, but I can't swear it was when PE 7 was open. But I did use PE 7 yesterday, so it is possible it was while I was using PE 7.

I've only used PE these two times since I did the following:

(1) Installed SQL Server Express

(2) Uninstalled all traces of Flash on my machine (to test something) then reinstalled

Maybe the error message has something to do with one of those two things? I did read that uninstalling Flash can create problems with a system.

I've been using PE 7 for a while now and never received that message until yesterday.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: Unhandled win32 exception
          the_wine_snob Level 9

It seems that "Unhandled win32 exception" can occur in many of Adobe's programs. One apparent cause for Premiere is with Windows Media Encoder. Since you were Exporting to WMV, that may indicate a tie-in. You might download and install Windows Media Encoder WME from the MS site and see if the installation of the full encoder progarm (a good .WMV encoder, by the way) will solve your issues with Premiere. If it does not, it should at least provide you with a workaround: Export from Premiere to, say a DV-AVI and then Encode that to .WMV via WME, which offers a lot more options, than does any Prememire Exporter, including PrP CS4's AME.

Good luck, and please let us know if the installation of WME helps.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unhandled win32 exception
            M K B Level 1

Thanks very much; I'll download that and give it a whirl!

Mike

• 3. Re: Unhandled win32 exception
              M K B Level 1

Steve, I forgot to add that yesterday, the only thing I exported was flash video.

Thanks,

Mike

• 4. Re: Unhandled win32 exception
                M K B Level 1

Hi Hunt,

I just wanted to update you on the situation.

I'm getting the error message frequently now, on other programs as well. I did some reasearch and found that Visual Studio 2005 can cause this error. I had recently installed that, so I'll bet that's it.

I've read several suggetsions on resolving the problem. The first one I am trying is setting Dr. Watson as my default debugger.

If that doesn't work, I'll try another suggestion I read.

Thanks,

Mike

• 5. Re: Unhandled win32 exception
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for reporting in. Sorry that you're now getting the error elsewhere. I hope that you have isolated the problem program, and that a simple uninstall will work for you.

It would be great if all software would "play nice" with all other software, but that is not likely to happen. At least things got better, when MS began their Windows "certification" program. Still, there are many conflicts, just waiting to jump up and bite you.

Good luck, and please keep the reports coming. What you find with your tests might well help someone else down the line.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Unhandled win32 exception
                    M K B Level 1

I appreciate your help and best wishes. When I get this thing taken care

of, I'll post the resolution here. As you say, it may help others down

the line.

Mike

• 7. Re: Unhandled win32 exception
                      M K B Level 1

Update:

11 or 12 days since I set good old Doc Watson as my default debugger, and I haven't received the error message again, so I assume that fixed the issue.

• 8. Re: Unhandled win32 exception
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Eleven to twelve days of smooth running is a good sign. Let's hope that it is fixed, and that you'll be able to edit easily.

Thanks for reporting your success,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Unhandled win32 exception
                          M K B Level 1

Thank you for your help!

Mike