4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2009 9:12 AM by fware_de

Different look in DNG PE and ACR why??

Hello,

I've tried recently to match ACR with my favourite settings from Nikon Capture and I cannot understand how tone curve ajustment works. When I set tone curve in DNG PE to best look (as in CNX2), and then load this profile into ACR my photo looks completely differently (it's much darker). I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but in ACR highlights are much more compressed than in DNG PE. All sliders in ACR are set to zero and so are tone curves. Please look at below thumbnails to see the difference - it's "Camera normal" profile, but it perfectly shows what I'm talking about.

• 1. Re: Different look in DNG PE and ACR why??
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

That's the problem. All your sliders in ACR are zero. They should be at the default values (e.g., Brightness 50, Contrast 25, etc.). The defaults in ACR are setup so that they will reproduce the profile as-is. If you set values like Brightness, etc. to zero then you are applying rendering modifications on top of what the profile does.

• 2. Re: Different look in DNG PE and ACR why??
            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

OFF TOPIC:

Yes, this will be off topic, but it has to be said.

The mindless awarding of points, counting posts, etc. in these lousy new forums is exposed as utterly ridiculous by Eric being credited with 0 points. 

Eric is one of the most helpful contributors in any forum.

This points scheme is absurd!  Stop it, stop counting the number of posts, stop the silly red LED bars.

• 3. Re: Different look in DNG PE and ACR why??
              Wolf Eilers Level 4

And as further proof, Eric currently has zero points and Ramón has 110. Yes, it is all "pointless" but I've been told that computers are great at counting so I guess that is why it is done.

• 4. Re: Different look in DNG PE and ACR why??
                fware_de Level 1

I had this also with Lightroom and found the following.

The profile editor takes the DNG file and applies brightness and contrast to it. Unfortunately this is not shown or noted anywhere.

Then you can change the curves and co. and save the profile.

If I now use that profile in LR, I assume ARC does the same, I have to allow them to do the same adjustments as PE with brightness and contast to fit what I have seen in PE.

I have also seen that this is the case for my Canon RAW/CR2 files using the Adobe provided camera profile. Profile is used but brightness and contrast are up as described.

Regards

Peter