3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2009 6:50 AM by David Stiller

how to mask a dynamic text field

@flash Level 1

hi

Any one know,  how to mask a dynamic text field .

Thanks & Regards,

Ayathas

• 1. Re: how to mask a dynamic text field
          David Stiller Level 2

Ayathas,

Masking a text field is no different from masking a graphic symbol, move clip, or anything else -- but there's one thing to keep in mind:  if your text field is dynamic, you'll have to embed font outlines for that text field in order to properly see the effect.  The embed button is located in the Property inspector when a dynamic text field is selected.  Depending of the version of Flash, this button will be labeled "Embed" or "Character Embedding".

David Stiller
          Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
          http://tinyurl.com/dpsFoundationFlashCS3
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: how to mask a dynamic text field
            @flash Level 1

thanks for ur reply,

but my textbox loads characters like chinese, japanese and korean. when i embed these font it will increase in size.

suggestion pls

• 3. Re: how to mask a dynamic text field
              David Stiller Level 2

Ayathas,

Dynamic text fields have certain properties, and the one I described is simply a fact of life.  If you want to mask dynamic text (or rotate it, or flip it, etc.), its font outlines must be embedded.  True, embedding font outlines increases the file size.  Generally speaking, the more complex the font, the more the SWF weighs.  I'm not familiar with Asian fonts, so things might well be different, but in Latin fonts (English, many European languages, etc.), it's possible to embed only numerals, or only uppercase/lowercase, or only punctuation -- in other words, a subset of the full font -- which greatly reduces the potential file size increase.  Again, I'm not sure how feasible this is for Asian fonts, but it's worth a try!

David Stiller
              Adobe Community Expert
              Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
              "Luck is the residue of good design."