6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2009 7:35 AM by lucid55

Black screen white cursor hell

lucid55

The computer is a Sony Viao VGC-R210G running Windows XP Media with 4 GB RAM and an NVIDIA G8500 with a Matrox card.

On running Premiere Pro CS4, the program will appear to be running normally, then crashes and provides an error window.  The OS then reboots itself.  The Windows splash screen comes up and everything appears to be ready to boot, but all that is displayed is a black screen with a white moveable cursor.  There is no way to get back to normal Windows operation after this, short of reloading the OS.

Believe me, I've tried.

This has happened twice -- huge pain in the *** reloading my drives.

Pardon me for being such a n00b, but if one is uploading an Adobe update of a Creative Suite, is it advisable to delete the original Adobe suite apps after the upgrade?  It's just an intuitive guess, but I feel as though the two versions of Premiere are not playing nicely together. (I'm not launching them at the same time, but are they sharing resources that are different versions with the same name?)

• 1. Re: Black screen white cursor hell
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Welcome to the forums.

I have four versions of PPro running on my old VAIO, so it is usually not a problem.

Do not, however, uninstall CS3 after installing CS4, otherwise you will need to reinstall CS4.

Have a look at these troubleshooting tips, perhaps one of them will save your bacon.

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: Black screen white cursor hell
            lucid55 Level 1

Thanks for the prompt answer, Eddie.  I've upgraded from CS2 though.  Does that make a difference?

• 3. Re: Black screen white cursor hell
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Does that make a difference?

No, you should be good to go.

The "upgrade" is really just the cost of the purchase, the software itself is a complete install, it does not change the older version of the software at all.

Let us know if the Color Key works for you. If not, also have a look at the Compositing section of the Premiere Pro Help.

Cheers
              Eddie

• 4. Re: Black screen white cursor hell
                lucid55 Level 1

Again, thanks.

I will be sure to inform you on my success with the compositing tool when I can actually get to play with Premiere Pro 4 instead of wallowing in the misery of reloading my RAID.

• 5. Re: Black screen white cursor hell
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Could this be another case of Matrox card problems?  Did you update at least to the latest Matrox drivers?

• 6. Re: Black screen white cursor hell
                    lucid55 Level 1

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Could this be another case of Matrox card problems?  Did you update at least to the latest Matrox drivers?

Thanks for the hint, Bill.

No.  The last update of the Matrox drivers was 2007 when I got the card.  Perhaps I should scan the forums for Matrox horror stories to see if these might apply.

I tend to doubt it though.  On the last upload, Matrox wouldn't allow me to load the drivers until I had loaded Premiere Pro.  I never got around to it before the black screen brought everything to a screeching halt.

On my Google quest to avoid reloading my drive, I found this black screen white cursor problem seems to be common, but the causes and solutions seem to be all different.  Microsoft doesn't have any technical articles on it at all. The common element in my case was, unambiguously, use of Premiere Pro CS4.