3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2009 7:05 PM by the_wine_snob

Field of view: in the programme bigger than on the camera display

The following problem occured:

When I captured footage into Adobe Premiere Elements I recognized that the field of view in the programme was bigger than the one I saw on the display of my camera. I mean, there were objects in the left and in the right corner of the frame, which I did not intend to shoot (and which I did not see in the viewer, as well).

Are there any settings I should consider?

Any answers appreciated.

• 1. Re: Field of view: in the programme bigger than on the camera display
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is fairly common. Few cameras have 100% view. Some show a bit more, but most a bit less.

Now, depending on how you are going to output the footage, it might be no problem. If you're going to TV, via DVD, then the overscan of CRT TV's will possibly crop this extra area off. If you are not sure, or your audience will have newer LED/LCD/etc. TV's, you can do one of several things.

1.) Keep things just as they are, and use the Garbage Matte to eliminate the offending objects. You'll end up with a bit of black, around your final image, unless you have some sort of background behind it.

2.) Keep things just as they are, and use Crop to do about the same. Same result as above.

3.) Use Motion Effect>Scale (and possibly a bit of Position), to enlarge the image to beyond the screen area, approximating what you saw in the viewfinder/LCD. Since you will only be doing a tiny bit of this, quality will not suffer.

Personally, I'd use #3. Trust me, this is far easier in video, than it ever was with film. Without a good budget, it meant a re-shoot, should a mic swing into the frame, or a lightstand peek in at the corner!

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Field of view: in the programme bigger than on the camera display
            Level 1

Thank you for the quick answer! I already considered a re-shoot. When I used the Garbage Matte (yes, I took the shot in front of a green-screen but it was just a lighted match ) the result was kind of two different types of black solid.. Now I used your recommendation # 3.

• 3. Re: Field of view: in the programme bigger than on the camera display
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I hope that you will get the end results that you need.

Good luck,

Hunt