13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 1:51 AM by Federico-BlueFrameVisuals

Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...

Spokkk Level 1

I make a PAL movie in Premiere Pro CS3 with clips from my Panasonic GS500 camera. Export to Adobe Media Encoder CS3 and it gives an output frame size (for FLV) of 1024 x 576.

I open the same sequence in Premiere Pro CS4 and Export to Adobe Media Encoder CS4 and the frame size becomes 1050 x 576.

Why the two different width sizes? I have not done any resizing or cropping.

If I do resize the video by half, so that 576 becomes 288 (keeping the proportion link checked) the size becomes 512 x 288. 512 is not half of 1050.

Also, why is there no Deinterlace button, as there was on CS3. Do we assume that the video is being deinterlaced by default? Or, as some others have complained when exporting to DVD, is the exported video remaining interlaced? This might account for why I cannot get the same FLV picture quality, using exactly the same settings, as I did with CS3.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Spok.

• 1. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Welcome to the forums.

Why the two different width sizes?

Aspect ratios have changed between CS3 and CS4 which causes this to happen. See FAQ:Why are there black borders/bars? for links to good explanations.

why is there no Deinterlace button?

There is no need for one. The only time de-interlacing is required is when going from an interlaced source to a progressive destination. PPro knows when to de-interlace automatically.

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...
            Spokkk Level 1

Eddie,

Thanks very much for the helpful reply. I have read the Aspect Ratio article and, as a result, have a couple more questions.

Was Permiere Pro CS3 getting the 1024 width for widescreen DV PAL wrong? Why is it now 1050? My movies are only for the web (square pixels), never for a non-square pixel TV so which width is right?

Maybe the fact that 1050 is not divisible by 16, where as 1024 is, is affecting the PQ of the output, making CS3 output look better (?)

Are the pixels from my Panasonic PAL MiniDV GS500 square or non-square?

Thanks again,

Spok.

• 3. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Adobe said that the PARs were all slightly wrong prior to CS4 in their apps (includuding PS).  In CS4 they corrected them all.

• 4. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

Was Permiere Pro CS3 getting the 1024 width for widescreen DV PAL wrong?

Yes.

Why is it now 1050?

Because the correct PAR is being used in the conversion.

Are the pixels from my Panasonic PAL MiniDV GS500 square or non-square?

Non-square.

Cheers

Eddie

• 5. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...
                  Federico-BlueFrameVisuals Level 1

HI,

I'm also surprised that there's no more deinterlace buton in AME..!

Why don't we have the choice? Maybe i do wanna keep it interlaced? How do i know?

PPro might know what ever it wants, but well, can WE have the choice instead of being the slaves of the programmers???!!

I anyway wanna take the occaion to say that I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in AME CS4. At the time of CS3, we still could choose to use Compressor to make an lfv. Now, not aymore!!! What is that Adobe? Forcing users to use your unmature and far less developed than Compressor AME is NOT the right strategy!! I'm now having a look at Episode!

So, in case you still wanna give an answer:

- How does AME CS4 handles the deinterlaceing of an interlaced source?

- Do ALL flv whatever the source end up being progressive?

Thanks!

Federco

• 6. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

It's simple:

1. If your source is progressive and you export to a progressive file, nothing happens.
                    2. If your source is interlaced and you export to an interlaced file, nothing happens.
                    3. If your source is interlaced and you export to a progressive file, the video is deinterlaced.

FIN.

• 7. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...

Hi Colin, Thx for the very fast reply!!

I understand but where do i set the interlaced/progressive state of my output file?

That's what i miss.

thx,

• 8. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

The exact location varies based on the encoder you're using, but it's always in the Video tab:

fieldorder.png

• 9. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...

hi Colin,

yes yes... I know. But the thing is that when you select flv (and not f4v) there NO setting for the field.

I see indeed that with f4v, it's there. Normal, since it's a H264 encoding...

So.... flv encoding doesn't give us the possibility. Incredible!

I just encoded one interlaced source and it ends up progressive. So, ok, after all, it's what i wanted to get, but i find it soooo unprofessional that Adobe took off the choice. At the time of CS3 and using Compressor, you still could choose!

But ok...

I guess we have to accept that here too we users are slaves... :-O

best regards,

• 10. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

I see what you're saying now, but I guess I don't understand the issue. Why in the world would you want an interlaced FLV file, anyway? Flash Video is a format destined for a progressive display, whether it's a computer screen or a handheld device. I can't think of a circumstance where I'd be viewing an FLV on an interlaced TV set, so by default, I'd always want the FLV to be progressive.

Now, I can see an argument about the quality of deinterlacing as it pertains to FLV files encoded by AME, but as far as wanting an interlaced FLV... I don't get it.

• 11. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...

you're right Colin about the no need of having an interlaced flv.

I'm also now fine, since AME deinterlaces it anyway.

but well... you know, a bit of control is always good! It gives you the feeling (as I said previously) of not being  the slave of the big companies...

thx for your time!

PS

but jeez! why is AME so basic??!!!

And why doesn't Adobe allow us anymore to convert flv from Compressor?... This magnat competition drives me mad!

regards,

• 12. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, for what it's worth, Sorenson Squeeze doesn't give you the option to set field order for a Flash 8 export using the On2 VP6 codec. I'm not sure if Flix, which also comes from On2, gives you that capability either. So, I don't know if its a program limitation, or a codec limitation, but either way, I'm not torn up about the lack of this functionality.

Out of curiousity, what is the "Compressor" that you're speaking of? Are you referring to Compressor that comes with FCP?

• 13. Re: Sizes In Adobe Media Encoder...

HI Colin,

well, i used to be very happy with SorensonSqueeze, but for more than a year now, I'm just using Compressor (indeed from FCStudio).

It's VERY handy and lets you manage your settings in a way AME can't even think of in version 8... I mean nothing extraordinary, just the way it should, with possibility to move, edit, group, duplicate, rename, describe your settings...

And as for flv encoding (at the time of CS3, which I still have on my desktop machine) by installing the Suite, it would also install the codec for Compressor.. Excellent! Which CS4 doesn't do anymore... which forces us to use this terrible AME.. That's the scandale to my humble opinion!

But ok, via Compressor, you get the settings for flv... with the deinterlace box as on the attached image. Indeed with VP6 encoder.

And no, me neither, i'm not torn up, but it would have been nice Adobe gave us the info!

Compressor does also a great job in slomo. That's quite new but impressive. And Compressor is MUCH faster than AME.. AME takes ages! For a good result, I agree.

voila...