9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2009 11:34 AM by Nadia-P

New Forums

jcbluesman

As one who has complained many times about the really bad software that used to drive these forums, I'd like to say thank you to Adobe for the changes. I haven't had time to play with the new stuff but I can already tell its much, much better than what was here before.

• 1. Re: New Forums
          pixlor Level 4

I like how the forums for all the products are now the same. That's a plus.

One thing I miss, though, is being able to jump to the last post in a long thread.

• 2. Re: New Forums
            Level 1

I, for one, still prefer formerly Marcomedia peer-to-peer forum style. I just love the way it was once work nicely. As for formerly old Adobe forum for years, it was just terrible. Now that this is a new forum in reality, it is just that I have to accept and learn to adapt and get used to this system from now on. But I know there are many other participants dislike this new forum. So I know it is not just me... Life goes on, I guess.

• 3. Re: New Forums
              Nadia-P Level 5

The lack of NNTP access is a big minus - The Dreamweaver forum and I'm sure this one as well has lost some very good people as they are not bothering with the web forum...

Can't say I blame them,, I'm testing it out before making a final decision however. 

Response time is slow, but found it even slower with the FWs forum - have no idea why .  Take today for instance, have lost so much productivity time going from forum to forum, page to page, trying to respond, editing posts etc., Give me NNTP any day !!

<Rant over>  :-)

• 4. Re: New Forums
                SiamJai Level 2

Nadia, I see what you mean. These forums have been indeed turned into time-sinks, which is good only for the folks who didn't have much productivity to begin with - like me. ;-)

For the most part, I like the new ways; they're more in line with other web-based forums that some users are already familiar with. One thing that I'm not sure about is the attachment system. In one recent post the attachment seems to have been withheld for approval (it says "QUEUED" in all-caps). If that's really the case, then giving timely answers will be more difficult. (And is it just me, or there is no "redo" option, only "undo"?)

It'll take same time to get used to it, I guess.

• 5. Re: New Forums
                  Nadia-P Level 5

SiamJai wrote:

One thing that I'm not sure about is the attachment system. In one recent post the attachment seems to have been withheld for approval (it says "QUEUED" in all-caps).

Yep, it appears that any attachment needs approval - I'm guessing they have some sort of virus checker or something to make sure we all don't get infected with something  :-)  So I guess waiting is better than being stung with something none of us want  :-)

(And is it just me, or there is no "redo" option, only "undo"?)

Not sure what you mean here.... all I know is that I wish there was an 'undo' button when replying to posts.  I've lost a few edits a few times (have no idea why), and if there had been a undo button, I could have got it back without having to retype the whole thing again  :-)

Getting used to something new does take time, but for a lot of us, the removal of NNTP access was a big blow, considering we'd been answering questions that way since the late 1990s  :-)

• 6. Re: New Forums
                    SiamJai Level 2
                    waiting is better than being stung with something none of us want  :-)

That's true. :-)

I wish there was an 'undo' button when replying to posts.

I couldn't find an "undo" button either, but Ctrl-Z works on the web editor (sometimes erasing whole sentences when I'm only trying to undo some formatting, but it works. ;-) ) Unfortunately, Ctrl-Y is a less reliable substitue for "redo".

Nadia, have you tried accessing the forums by email? I don't have experience with that feature, but perhaps it could be the next best substitute to newsgroup readers. :-)

• 7. Re: New Forums
                      Nadia-P Level 5

Nadia, have you tried accessing the forums by email? I don't have experience with that feature, but perhaps it could be the next best substitute to newsgroup readers. :-)

Yes, I have subscribed to the threads I post in in the DW forum.  I get them via Gmail.

I tested replying via email - it worked for me, others have had problems.  The reply seemed to take forever to come through to the actual forum - wasn't instantaneous like with a newsreader though.

• 8. Re: New Forums
                        pixlor Level 4

Anyone else find they keep getting logged out?

On the old forums I would stay logged in for weeks. Now, it seems like I have to log in every day.

(Maybe Adobe is trying to tell me to quit hoarding cookies...)

• 9. Re: New Forums
                          Nadia-P Level 5

pixlor wrote:

Anyone else find they keep getting logged out?

On the old forums I would stay logged in for weeks. Now, it seems like I have to log in every day.

I'm finding I have to log in after only a few hours  :-(   The major problem I had was with having my screen name stick... I've had a few personas since moving over to the web forum from the NNTP side of things  :-)   People were telling me I had some sort of personality disorder  <lol>