4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2009 2:51 PM by Steve Grisetti

Elements 7 - can't start disc burning project

I have downloaded the trial version of Premier Elements 7 to check it out before I buy. I have been using Roxio's Creator 2009, but have had a lot of problems with making avchd-dvd's or blueray-discs with Roxio's program, and quite a few crashes as well.

A friend recommended Premier Elements so I thought I'd try it out.

My problem is this: Editing files, and making disc menus seems to work fine in PE7, but when I select SHARE and then DISC I get the following error:

"Could not start Disc burning project", and just an OK button. No explanation as to why I can't start disc burning. When I press the OK button the program actually continues to the next step where I can chose to burn a dvd or a blueray-disc, even though I get the error requester.

But when I try to burn a dvd or blueray ( I have both type of burners in my computer and they are recognized in Premier)

the same error-requester pops up again. The program then continues to the "burn in progress"-menu, but nothing happens. I tried to wait for more than an hour but the burning process is still at 0 %.

It's also strange that if I press the 'cancel' button I get a requester saying "Burn in progress. Are you sure you want to cancel?", even though nothing is burned.

When I press cancel, the program freezes!

What can be causing this? Can it be a limitation in the trial version? I can't find any information about this...

Hope someone can help.

Btw, I also tried the RENDER WORK AREA on the TIMELINE menu, but after the rendering process was finished (it took about 4 hours) the program froze again. Very annoying.

I feel reluctant to buy this program because of this.

My system is Windows Vista 64-bit, 4 GB ddr2-ram, 3 hd's (500x500x300 Gb) and a Nec dvd-burner and a LG blueray-burner.

• 1. Re: Elements 7 - can't start disc burning project
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are a number of people having issues trying to create standard DVDs from AVCHD files. The problem seems to be related to the fact the AVCHD files are some of the most challenging to work with anyway -- and the challenge of downsampling them to standard DVDs seems to overwhelm most systems. At least the way Premiere Elements downsamples -- which has always been its biggest liability.

This is probably compounded by the fact that you're using a 64-bit operating system, which the program isn't built to run on.

I'm assuming you're using a project set up for AVCHD and that you're using an adequate system (quad-core, 4 gigs of RAM, not a laptop) for working with these files.

I'm a big supporter of Premiere Elements. I have been since before I became host of this forum, 5 years ago. But, if you're planning to edit AVCHD and use it to output standard DVDs, I'm just not sure it's the best program for you.

• 2. Re: Elements 7 - can't start disc burning project
            Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Steve, but the problem is not with avchd. Today I tried to burn standard .avi videofiles, and get the same problem.

I have also tried to burn Blueray projects, but no matter what I do I get the requester with "Disc burning error - could not start disc burning project".

So it seems there is some kind of error in the program itself.

I've also uninstalled Roxio Creator 2009 to see if that helped, but it didn't.

Btw, my friend who recommended Premier Elements 7 has burned avchd to dvd's without any problem, and he has the same camera as me (Canon HF100) and his computer specs are equal to mine (Windows vista 64-bit, Intel 6850 dual-core cpu, 4 Gb ram and large hd's).

• 3. Re: Elements 7 - can't start disc burning project
              Level 1

Can anyone help me with this problem, please?

• 4. Re: Elements 7 - can't start disc burning project
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Because of the number of possible issues and the amount of troubleshooting it might take to figure out which solution works for you, it might be best for you to contact Adobe Tech Support.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414984?tstart=0