6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 11:54 AM by Jim_Simon

Best Option for Exporting in CS3?

Girocast

Hi,

Sorry if I missed it, but I can't find an answer to a few different questions regarding Standard Definition editing in CS3.

When I export a porttion of  video as a movie so that I can use that clip in another project, do I NOT choose Recompress, which is checked by default in Premier Pro? What's the best quality Codec to use, or can I purchase or download better Codecs than Premier Pro has built in?

Also, when I export to Encore, again, I"m not sure of the best quality settings as my video looks great in Premier, but lousy after the DVD is burned and is then played on my HD TV, even when the TV is set to 4:3. It's looks better on my CRT TV though. Any way to fix this?

Is the Uncompressed DV AVI any better to choose for output? I have the hard drive room, just not sure it's any better quality wise than Microsoft DV AVI.

Finally, is the media encoder in Premier to make Flash video the same as the separate, dedicated Flash encoder that I got with CS3? Is there a difference in output quality?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jerry

• 1. Re: Best Option for Exporting in CS3?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jerry,

If you are going to Import the Exported footage into PrPro, I would use DV-AVI (Export>Movie), and uncheck Recompress. That file will be in the correct format and with a very good CODEC. Nothing else to buy, download, or install.

To go to Encore for authoring a DVD-video, you basically have two choices:

1.) Same as above, DV AVI Type II. I do so with elemental streams, DV-AVI (no Audio) for the Video and then AC3 for the Audio, as I almost always am doing DD 5.1 SS. Two files, that are Imported into Encore. The Video only file as a Timeline, and the Audio only file as an Asset

2.) As a DVD-compliant MPEG-2 file, with the proper bit-rate set beforehand. I'd strongly suggest that one read up on "bit budgeting," and also download a bit-rate calculator. Also, make sure that the Exported file is fully DVD-compliant.

Uncompressed is not necessary. The DV AVI Type II CODEC is not lossless, but is very good, quite fast, virtually visually perfect and works perfectly in PrPro.

Sorry, but I have never use PrPro to Export to Flash, but many others have, and can fill in that blank.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Best Option for Exporting in CS3?
            Girocast Level 1

Thanks Hunt. I'll try it.

• 3. Re: Best Option for Exporting in CS3?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

my video looks great in Premier, but lousy after the DVD is burned and is then played on my HD TV, even when the TV is set to 4:3. It's looks better on my CRT TV though. Any way to fix this?

This is the reality of mixing formats.  The ideal scene is to watch standard definition material only on a standard definition CRT set.  For your HDTV, watch only High Definition from Blu-ray.  Any mixing of the two is going to create a less than ideal viewing experience.

• 4. Re: Best Option for Exporting in CS3?
                Girocast Level 1

Thanks Jim, I was worried I was going to hear that.

• 5. Re: Best Option for Exporting in CS3?

If Microsoft DV AVi is the best format and you have recompress unticked does it matter if the compressor selected is dv (24p Advanced) DV NTSC or DV PAL?

I would guess not but could do with a little bit of reassurance!

• 6. Re: Best Option for Exporting in CS3?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

It matters very much which DV option you choose.