4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2009 3:22 PM by the_wine_snob

premiere elements 7 error must close

Newbie here, not computer savvy. Just purchased program from best buy. I have installed program successfully but it won't open. Requirements says windows xp service pack 2, i have service pack 3. Could this cause the problem? I had all virus protection off when installed. I have quicktime 7. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: premiere elements 7 error must close
          Level 1

a little more on computer. its a compaq 6820s with duo intel. 2 gb ram 104gb free space of 149gb capacity. t7250 @2ghz

• 2. Re: premiere elements 7 error must close
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

The reason that you didn't get any help for your problem was because it was posted in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum. This is really an area for posting just that, tips and tricks. Questions are best posted to the main forum, where everyone can see them and respond.

Now to your problem, if you're still having it. This error is most often associated with the resources that PE requires.

First place to start would be the FAQ's on optimizing your computer and your OS. Next look at the articles there on Project Assets, like still images, file formats, etc. These can rob one's computer of resources in a big hurry. Tell us more about your Project and your Assets.

Your free space on your HDD looks good. This is one of the first things that I look at.

The next is what applications and Processes are running on your computer. Most computers come with tons of bloatware, that is totally unnecessary. Most folk don't have a problem, because they are just browsing the Web, doing e-mails and an occasional letter in their wordprocessor. Editing Video is a lot different. Task Manager>Processes will give you an idea of how many "things" are running and eating up your resources. You can make a list of all of these, or do a series of screen-caps showing that pane in Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). Probably a lot of stuff that you do not need.

Another place to look is how your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) is set up, and how it's managed. This can cause a lot of resource related errors.

Hope that this is not too late to help you,

Hunt

• 3. Re: premiere elements 7 error must close
              Level 1

Hunt, Thanks for the response. I did finally get elements to work. It seems

it didn't like being loaded in the "owner" user of my computer. I made a

new  user profile and it loaded fine. I called tech support and they told me

that it  was because I had service pack three. Anyways, it works now and do

have a few  questions about video quality. Videos that I have on computer

play back fine in  windows media player and elements until I add them to

timeline then they get  pixulated (sp?). Hoping that in final project it doesn't

appear.

Again, thanks for your response.

Dave

In a message dated 5/29/2009 8:09:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

forums@adobe.com writes:

Dave,

The reason that you didn't get any help for your  problem was because it

was posted in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum. This is  really an area for posting

just that, tips and tricks. Questions are best  posted to the main forum,

where everyone can see them and  respond.

Now to your problem, if you're still having it. This  error is most often

associated with the resources that PE  requires.

First place to start would be the FAQ's on optimizing  your computer and

your OS. Next look at the articles there on Project Assets,  like still

images, file formats, etc. These can rob one's computer of  resources in a big

hurry. Tell us more about your Project and your  Assets.

Your free space on your HDD looks good. This is one of  the first things

that I look at.

The next is what applications  and Processes are running on your computer.

Most computers come with tons of  bloatware, that is totally unnecessary.

Most folk don't have a problem,  because they are just browsing the Web, doing

e-mails and an occasional letter  in their wordprocessor. Editing Video is

a lot different. Task  Manager>Processes will give you an idea of how many

"things" are running  and eating up your resources. You can make a list of

all of these, or do a  series of screen-caps showing that pane in Task Manager

(Ctrl-Alt-Del).  Probably a lot of stuff that you do not need.

Another place to  look is how your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) is

set up, and how it's  managed. This can cause a lot of resource related errors.

Hope  that this is not too late to help  you,

Hunt

• 4. Re: premiere elements 7 error must close
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

Glad that you got the launch issue worked out. Users and permissions are becoming more a part of running programs, like PE. Can't wait to see what curves Win7 throws this way.

For possible help with your files, read through this ARTICLE. Much will probably explained. Look closely at the part about G-Spot. You can use it to tell you all about your file. That info will be extremely helpful in diagnosing exactly why you are seeing what you are seeing. Then, someone can direct you to exactly what you'll need to do.

Please report back with what you find out from G-Spot.

Good luck,

Hunt