2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2009 8:09 AM by Steve Grisetti

premiere elements 7 won't start

newbie here.not computer savvy.  i have just purchased pe7. i have successfully loaded the file but when i go back to start program i get an error message and it must shut down. i've done everything according to instructions i.e. no anti virus or other programs running. i noticed that one of the requirements is windows xp service pack 2, i have servicew pack 3, could this be problem. any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: premiere elements 7 won't start
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>an error message

Just guessing, since you provide zero details, but I'd say your computer is too old and weak to run video editing

Come back with details, and someone may be able to help

Need to know all of your computer hardware, and all other software that is also running

• 2. Re: premiere elements 7 won't start
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm with John. The main reasons the program won't launch are:

1) Inadequate hardware. You should have at least double what Adobe lists as minimums. In particular, you'll not only need room on your hard drive to install the program but at least 20 gigs of free, defragmented space just to open it. (It's not that the program itself requires that much. But your operating system needs lots of paging space to run more intensive programs.) You'll also need two or three times that free space to do any video editing.

2) Outdated firmware. In particular, and outdated version of Quicktime. Your Windows Update doesn't always load all the necessary updates. Secunia's program can help you find out what else you need, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

3) Finally, there is the possibility the program didn't take on the first installation. Occasionally, when your system is updated and you have adequate hardware, you may need to uninstall the program and reinstall it to get it to run right.