12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2009 5:41 PM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 7: image file import question

Spinland

New question; I would check this out for myself but Adobe seems to have made it impossible for me to get a trial version.  It claims my Firefox has cookies disabled, which is false, and I have gone through every troubleshooting step on multiple sites, and gone beyond those, even, and no joy. I even specifically white-listed adobe.com and turned off all of my security software across the board.  If I log in on IE7 (as I am now) the download just fails with a trouble message to Microsoft; again, I followed all listed troubleshooting steps and total failure.  Judging by the number of irate and frustrated posts about this on the general forum this is a very common problem with Adobe's web site.

Anyway...

What I need to be able to do, simply stated, is to be able to import several hundred sequentially-numbered rendered 3D image files, have them automatically assigned to individual frames, set a global value for frames per second, and export a high-quality animation file.  Quick and without a lot of fiddly steps required.  I understand the format limitations but I can convert the animation later once it's been created.

Can PE7 do this, easily and painlessly?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7: image file import question
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Absolutely. Particularly if you have these files named alpha-numerically so that they appear listed in the order you want them to appear in your video.

Two concerns though:

1) I'm very concerned that you can't download the trial with either browser. This may be an indicator that your computer does not have adequate hard drive space or that there is too much fragmentation -- or even that your computer is improperly configured. If you can't download the trial, it's possible you may not be able to run the program either. Can you tell us more about your operating system and computer specs?

2) "Several hundred" is a lot of image files. You may want to ensure that the files are optimized to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size before you bring them into Premiere Elements. (Video is only 720x480 pixels, and using larger size doesn't give you better quality.) Also, you may want to consider breaking your project into shorter sequences. Maybe 100-200 images each. Then you can combine the final videos into a larger one.

I'd hate to have you spend a week loading images only to have your computer choke and not be able to output your video!

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7: image file import question
            Felix G Level 1

Sure this can be done. Before you import any pictures into your project, set Edit/Preferences/General/Still Image Default Duration to just 1 frame.

(and check Default scale to frame size, if that's what your pictures need).

If you had the wrong settings while importing, just delete all pics from your project, change the settings as appropriate and import again.

Selecting pics in alphanumerical order sometimes yields unexpected results (like the last picture selected not appearing, or appearing first in the row) but you'll find out quickly enough. In case you have problems with the alphanumerical order, have a look at Better File Rename. Excellent and not expensive.

Good luck. F.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7: image file import question
              Spinland Level 1

My system is a dual core 3.2GHz Pentium with 2GB of RAM and well over 100GB of free disk space, and it gets defragmented regularly.  I use it for 3D modeling with Rhino 3D and LightWave and handle models with millions of polygons no problem.

The problem with Firefox has nothing to do with system horsepower, it is that this site claims I don't have cookies enabled; I do.  I've gone through all the Mozilla troubleshooting steps, have explicitly whitelisted adobe.com in the browser setting, flushed cookies and cache, uninstalled every single add-on and plug-in I had installed, and even disabled my AV and firewall apps.  This site still claims I don't have cookies enabled.  It makes absolutely no sense and in all the years I've used Firefox on hundreds of sites I have never seen such a problem.

As for IE7, I installed the download manager when prompted, and that app crashes every time I try to download the trial.  I have sufficient temp disk space enabled (the max of 1024 meg), again my system is way more than powerful enough, and I've uninstalled and re-installed the download manager twice.  No dice.  Each time after it asks me where to put the download file the DLM crashes.  I again disabled all security applications, and I don't have any special add-ons for IE installed because I don't use it as a rule.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7: image file import question
                Spinland Level 1

Oh, forgot to note:  running Windows XP/MCE with SP3.

I've downloaded a software update in the past that was over 1GB in size, so the 600-odd MB size of the PE7 download can't be a problem.  Didn't need a download manager for it, either.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7: image file import question
                  Spinland Level 1

On a different note, thank you both for your input.  Apologies for the brusque tone of my responses.  It was a very frustrating time today trying to move heaven and earth to pacify the Adobe download monster.  I'm not convinced the problem isn't with Adobe.  I have no trouble anywhere else and I've done a lot of trial/paid software downloads over the years and am active on many forums.  Adobe.com is unique in presenting such difficulties.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7: image file import question

It might be worth contacting Adobe to find out why you can't download the file. You can reach them by clicking on the Contact button at the very top of this page.

The only possibility I can think of is that you tried to download during a busy time or while Adobe was doing some maintenance. (They have been rebuilding their site the past couple of weeks.) It might be worth trying one more time before you call them.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7: image file import question
                      Spinland Level 1

But that doesn't explain why they won't even let me log in using Firefox.  If that were corrected perhaps I could try the download without the IE7 download manager that keeps crashing.  They are simply wrong when they claim I don't have cookies enabled, and I have gone way beyond the call of duty trying to troubleshoot what their problem is.  I have completely eliminated any plug-in, extension, security app or setting that could have been the problem.  It's ridiculous.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7: image file import question

Or you could ask them for help...

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7: image file import question
                          Spinland Level 1

Opened up two trouble tickets, one for each issue.  We'll see.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 7: image file import question
                            Spinland Level 1

[edited. double post]

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 7: image file import question
                              Spinland Level 1

Bingo.  I had checked to make sure adobe.com was not on the blocked exception list, and I even added adobe.com to the explicit allow list.  I missed spotting the fact that www.adobe.com was on the block list.  A fellow on another forum convinced me to check that list again.

All fixed now.  Firefox is downloading the trial without any problems.  Go Firefox!

Thanks for your help.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 7: image file import question

That's great news, spinland!