9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2009 11:05 PM by Jim_Simon

SD Export Optimize MPEG2-DVD

Bruno Gargaglione

Hey guys,

I have an issue trying to export SD content to MPEG2-DVD for use later in encore.

The problem is that I am not getting the quality I wanna it. Of course if I compare the mpeg2-dvd export to a dv-avi export, the dv-avi is way better.

I would like to know the optimize settings to mpeg2-dvd for export in PPCS3.

I am using currently:

- mpeg2-dvd - quality 5

fps: 29.97, 720 x 480, field order (lower, also tried progressive and upper)

widescreen 16:9, birtrate CBR 9

Is it better export to dv-avi and then transcode in encore? I didnt get luck with this also.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: SD Export Optimize MPEG2-DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For best quality of 2.5 hours of video you need to use a dual-layer disc

If that is not what you have (you provided zero details) come back with details so someone may try to help with something other than a guess

If you do not completely understand bit budgeting and encoding, you best option is to give Encore an AVI file and let it use the automatic encoding setting

Also, work through the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link

• 2. Re: SD Export Optimize MPEG2-DVD
            Bruno Gargaglione Level 1

Sorry for the lack of details:

I wanna avoid using dual-layer disc for compatibility issues.

My video has 1,15 h, without the menu (only one).

I would prefer export to mpeg2-dvd from PP instead of dv-avi.

Is it worth it since the lenght of my footage has 1,15h?

• 3. Re: SD Export Optimize MPEG2-DVD
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Is it worth it since the lenght of my footage has 1,15h?

75 minutes is okay for a single layer disc.

See: FAQ:What are the best settings for DVD?

Cheers
              Eddie

• 4. Re: SD Export Optimize MPEG2-DVD
                Jim_Simon Level 8

With your settings, you should not see any appreciable difference between the original and the DVD.  Not sure why you are.

• 5. Re: SD Export Optimize MPEG2-DVD

If I export to dv-avi, then use Main concept 1.6.1 and generate a MPEG2-DVD with constant bit rate beyond 15000... it becomes great. Unfortunately in Premiere I am not able to do that directly. I can't set more than 9000

• 6. Re: SD Export Optimize MPEG2-DVD
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

That's because the DVD specification only allows a maximum combined bitrate (video + audio) of around 10 Mb/s.  Choosing an MPEG2-DVD preset from Premiere will account for this and cap the limits.  I'm surprised the MainConcept stand alone doesn't as well.

Your 15,000 stuff might look great, but it isn't DVD legal, and couldn't be burned to disk without retranscoding to a lower bitrate.  Which brings up the question of what you're using to QC the exports.  Ideally it should be in a burned disk played back from a DVD player to a properly calibrated standard definition CRT television.  Computer playback is not a good way to QC a DVD asset.

• 7. Re: SD Export Optimize MPEG2-DVD

Jim,

Is there any way to improve quality of my mpeg2-dvd exported footage from PP to get closer than DV-AVI ?

I am getting nuts!

My config so far:

CBR QUALITY 5

Widescreen

Lower Field

Bit Rate = 9

I also tried VBR2, widescreen, lowerfield

Bit rate: 1,5, 6 and 8

What I need: A good quality exported mpeg2-dvd and encore compliant in order that I don't need to transcode in encore.

• 8. Re: SD Export Optimize MPEG2-DVD
                        Dan Isaacs Level 2

You may just want to try a different MPEG-2 encoder; Squeeze, ProCoder, CCE, Elecard.... to name a few.

Personally, I like the freeware HC Encoder --- but to use this you also need AviSynth (and possibly the DebugMode FrameServer plug-in for Premiere, but this will only work in CS3 -- not CS4).

To get this set-up:

1. Install AviSynth
                        2. Install HC Encoder (not really an install -- just create a folder in your Program Files folder and unzip it there)
                        3. Install Debugmode FrameServer for Premiere (be sure to choose the correct folder for installation of the plugin, such as C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\Plug-ins\en_US)

Now to do the MPEG-2 conversion:

1. Export the audio from your sequence as a .wav file -- 48kHz, 16-bit, stereo
                        2. Next, export your sequence from Premiere using DebugMode FrameServer (otherwise the same settings as your Premiere project, such as 720x480 29.97 fps lower field first).

Choose YUY2 colorspace from the frameserver options. Create a signpost file; we'll call it "signpost.avi"

You'll notice that, upon export, the frameserver window will sit there 'doing nothing'. That's fine. The frameserver will get the frames from Premiere as they are requested..

3. Open Notepad and create a file called "frameserver.avs" in the SAME folder as your signpost.avi file. This is an AviSynth script file. Enter the following:

AviSource("signpost.avi")
                          Limiter()
                          ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)

4. Now, run the HC Encoder GUI and choose "frameserver.avs" as your input file. Also set an appropriate output file name. There are many different settings you can choose in HC, but here are some of note:

Main:
                          bitrate: 7000 avg, 8500 max. (adjust these as needed)
                          profile: Best
                          dc prec: 9
                          aspect ratio: 16:9
                          scene change: (enabled)
                          autogop: (enabled)

Settings 1:
                          interlacing options: interlaced, BFF
                          AQ strength: 1

Settings 2:
                          VBR bias: 50
                          VBV check: (enabled)
                          write seq endcode: (enabled)
                          colorimetry: either use DEFAULT (none) --- or set BT.4702-M for NTSC, BT.4702-B,G for PAL

Settings 3:
                          Reload AviSynth: (enabled) [ note: you can also use the lossless intermediary option … you'll need to set a LLpath to tell HC where to place the temp file ]

Matrix:
                          MPEG is the default, but you may like the results from the FOX matrices better ... try FOX3 for high-bitrate material

5. Go back to the Main tab in HC, then click encode. This will create an .m2v file.
                        6. Exit HC, stop the DebugMode FrameServer and close Premiere
                        7. Import the .m2v and .wav files into Encore for authoring
                        • 9. Re: SD Export Optimize MPEG2-DVD
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Is there any way to improve quality of my mpeg2-dvd exported footage from PP to get closer than DV-AVI ?

There's the rub.  With your settings, you should be getting results that are pretty much indistinguishable from the original.  I'm at a loss to explain why you're not.  The only hint of an explanation I can imagine is your method of examination.  Make sure that you're checking the results on a burned disk, played back from a DVD player hooked up to a properly calibrated standard definition CRT set.  If any one of those elements is out - playback on the computer, watching on an HDTV, monitor not properly calibrated - your viewing experience won't be accurate.