9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2009 5:52 AM by Ned Murphy

Continuous loop with graphic symbols

WeDontRentPigs

Hi,

I have created a slide show that fades in and out using graphic symbols. I would like this to continously loop in Dreamweaver. How do I set it up in either Flash or Dreamweaver to continuously loop?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Continuous loop with graphic symbols
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Chances are you will be making this happen with Flash.  But how you get it to loop will depend on how you constructed it.  Can you describe how it is put together and the controls you have in place for it?  If there is any relevant code that applies, that will be helpful as well.

• 2. Re: Continuous loop with graphic symbols
            WeDontRentPigs Level 1

I used both text and .jpg images and saved them as graphic symbols. I then

made classic tweens on timeline between various opacities of the

images/text. When it runs text and graphics fade in and out, like a slide

show.

• 3. Re: Continuous loop with graphic symbols

If the timeline tweens are sequential, and do not involve movieclips holding individual tweens within them, then you shouldn't have to do anything except remove any stiop() you might have at the end of it all.  It should play thru the end of the timeline and then start over at frame 1.

• 4. Re: Continuous loop with graphic symbols
                WeDontRentPigs Level 1

If I put stops in it was unintentional. As you may have guessed, this is my

first time using Flash. Is there a way to see code? Would this indicate

whether I have stops? One thing I did notice is that when I only had a few

layers it looped continuously; as I added layers the looping stopped. Would

this make a difference?

• 5. Re: Continuous loop with graphic symbols

If you didn't enter any code, then there shouldn't be any code.  I don't know if your version of Flash might do this itself at some point (Since you said you used 'classic tweens', I'm assuming you have CS4 since that terminology came to life with that version, which I don't have, but those tween types refer to earlier Flash versions).

You can see if there is any code in the timeline by looking for any keyframes that have a small "a" in the top of the keyframe.  If you see one, you can view the code by selecting that frame in the timeline and opening the Actions window.

Adding layers would have no effect as far as causing something to stop looping.

• 6. Re: Continuous loop with graphic symbols
                    WeDontRentPigs Level 1

Yes, I have CS4 and no none of the keyframes have a small "a" in them. The

only other thing I am wondering about is the number of frames. The timeline

has over 5,000 frames of which I am using a little over half. Do the number

of frames effect looping?

• 7. Re: Continuous loop with graphic symbols

I doubt that the number of frames involved is an issue.  A Google search tells me the max for a Flash file is 16,000 frames.

Does the file play thru entirely, to the very last frame?  To be sure it does, place some unique visual in the last frame (like "The End").

If it does play thru to the very end, then you can add the following code to the last frame and see if it forces the looping:

gotoAndPlay(1);

To add it, select the frame in the timeline, and enter the code in the Actions panel... That small 'a' I mentioned should appear in the frame if done correctly.

I don't have CS4 primarily because of all the problems that have been reported with it since it was released.  I cannot say whether you are encountering a known issue with it.  The bottom line is, if a timeline-based movie has no code to make it do otherwise, it should continuously loop on its own.

• 8. Re: Continuous loop with graphic symbols
                        WeDontRentPigs Level 1

Thank you! This worked beautifully! I am familiar with HTML but not code in

Flash. Any suggestions on what I should read to become familiar with Flash

code?

Thanks again for all your help.

• 9. Re: Continuous loop with graphic symbols

I'm not a good reference for reading material... I avoid books.  I prefer doing material... meaning I decide I want/need to create something and work from there.  If I need code I either look thru the help documents or search online.

Having a programming background helps... it provides an idea of what basic functionalities/possibilities should exist, so you mostly just have to find out what the unique controls/functionalities exist for Flash.

What you could try is to visit www.lynda.com and try a few of the free tutorials there, and if you can follow them, maybe sign on for a paid set of lessons there.  I've never used it, so I can't comment on the quality of it.